Tint - What type to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Tint - What type to get?

So I've pretty much determined I'm going to get tint on my Fit. CA law says you have to have 30% in the front and whatever you want in the back. So I'm thinking 30% front, 20% back so the disparity isn't too huge. I was thinking 30% all around, but I figured if I could go a little darker in the back that would be ideal.

However, I now have to decide what type of tint. I read that the metal tint can interfere with radio and cell phone signals, so that is a turn off, but the dye tint fads to purple eventually, which I don't want.

Does anyone have experience with the hybrids? I have also heard carbon dye is much better than what they used to use and it doesn't fade. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Take a look at the thread in my sig for info on tint!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:41 PM
I read that originally That's what confused me in the end though

I'm leading towards carbon based dye. Does anyone have experience with this?

Old 06-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
70% is the legal for CA front windows. I run 35% all around and 20%rear windscreen only on my accord and 5% rear and 38% on the front on the fit. cops can be dicks and ticket you for almost anything on the fronts if they want to. Take it to a reputable shop that uses llumar or formula one. its the best quality and lifetime guarantee against turnin purple , fading, hazing, or bubbling.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shaggs2Dope
70% is the legal for CA front windows. I run 35% all around and 20%rear windscreen only on my accord and 5% rear and 38% on the front on the fit. cops can be dicks and ticket you for almost anything on the fronts if they want to. Take it to a reputable shop that uses llumar or formula one. its the best quality and lifetime guarantee against turnin purple , fading, hazing, or bubbling.
The shop closest to me has a good reputation but only has 35% 15% and 5% llumar film. With bated breath, I asked for 15 and am nothing but pleased with the results. They used a cutting machine too which means nice pretty lines and no razor marks.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
if you find a good shop, they will hold a lifetime warranty on their tint. my warranty is GUARANTEED no scratching, fading, peeling, purpling or bubbling. If any of this happens, I am covered.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by guyatwork37
So I've pretty much determined I'm going to get tint on my Fit. CA law says you have to have 30% in the front and whatever you want in the back. So I'm thinking 30% front, 20% back so the disparity isn't too huge. I was thinking 30% all around, but I figured if I could go a little darker in the back that would be ideal.
I just noticed this.

You were in error. California law states you can't have any darker than 70% on the front two doors, but you can have anything you want behind those front two doors. This covers cars and trucks/SUVs.

You can have a strip of tint, any darkness on the top 4" of your windshield.

The measurement on that 70% is NET. Which means you can't put 70% on those windows and be legal. You may have to put an 80-85% tint on them, so that when measured through the glass (which always has a minute amount of tint, no matter how clear it may look), you will measure no less than 70%. Some states govern the amount of film, some govern the NET effect with the tint.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:42 PM
The last I heard, Ca states no tint on the front drivers or pass window, anything on the rear pass and back window, and a pass door mirror is required for the rear portion to be tinted, I get my tint in the morning and I will repost as needed

Old 06-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Sid 6.7
I just noticed this.

You were in error. California law states you can't have any darker than 70% on the front two doors, but you can have anything you want behind those front two doors. This covers cars and trucks/SUVs.

You can have a strip of tint, any darkness on the top 4" of your windshield.

The measurement on that 70% is NET. Which means you can't put 70% on those windows and be legal. You may have to put an 80-85% tint on them, so that when measured through the glass (which always has a minute amount of tint, no matter how clear it may look), you will measure no less than 70%. Some states govern the amount of film, some govern the NET effect with the tint.
Oh well sh*t. Now I'm not sure what the hell to do

Old 06-18-2008, 05:58 PM
California Window Tint Law - TintCenter.com

I went to goggle and found the answer!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
You want to know what's really funny?!?

If you had gone to my thread in my sig, like I said in my first post in this very thread, you would have seen what the law really was and wouldn't have had to go looking all over creation.

Wow.

Or you could have just read my post, which was the one right above yours.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
check chp's website, says that u cant have tint on the front, but most ppl do it anways. depending on the area, if ur in los angeles, i doubt cops will pullu over for tint, they have other things to do. Also, just dont do anything stupid and you wont cause any attention to be put on u, and u should be fine... i plan on going 15% all around and the strip when i get my car tinted

Old 06-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
I assume you are talking about this statement:

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:
  1. The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
  2. If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.
The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.
However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.

All I can say is they are wrong. Completely.

Here is the actual law.

California Legal Code Annotated:

Section 26708-B-11(d)

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and
transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the
front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the
front seat if the following conditions are met:
(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88
percent.
(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all
requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49
C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance
of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as
specified in that federal standard.
(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the
ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful
ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the
vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying
that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of
this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the
material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the
material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by
the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the
material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the
requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's
manufacturer by full name and street address.
(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or
bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be
removed or replaced.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:49 AM
tints

Here in Florida, I got a 2 tickets at the same time for front and back.cop pulled me over going 10 miles over the limit, then gave me the ticket for tints too.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:17 AM
I had my FIT tinted about a month ago with Huber Optik Film, Ceramic Window Film Series - Huper Optik USA - World's first patented nano-ceramic technology It is a nano ceramic film that does not cause any problems with cell phones or GPS devices. It looks great but is a bit expensive. It supposed to last longer, never fade, crack or peel. It does come with a lifetime warranty from huper optik.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
I have metallic formula one in two cars and have no problem using my blackberry, cell phone or windshhield-mounted GPS (internal antenna only) in either. I went with VA legal 50% front, 35% rear, strip across windshield. I don't know if darker tints have higher metallic content or could cause more interference.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
I agree with Sid 6.7; no need to circumvent the state laws regarding window tinting – here in Texas (especially Dallas County) and as of recent, the officers are enforcing statutes already on the books, due to fraudulent inspection stickers.

Damien

Old 07-18-2008, 04:19 PM
if the cop wants to get you, he'll find plenty of excuses to, i once met a cop who added 1 line on the ticket everytime he walked back to his car and came back to talk to me, and i ended up with full page of fix-it

i live in CA too, i tinted all windows as well, i tinted the rear a lot darker than the front, hopefully that will create the vision illusion, :P

45 front and 15 rear is my set up, it turns out pretty well

Old 07-30-2008, 06:50 PM
There is a guy at work who has the same guy come and do his tint at our office during the day. They quoted me at $160 for the Fit (although he was unfamiliar with the Fit) and said they use Johnson tint. Is Johnson tint any good? I'm mainly concerned about keeping my car cool as it's hot as bals right now

Old 07-30-2008, 07:00 PM
the shop i went to use johnson too, i am not familiar with the film (3M & llumar was rumored to be the best) but since i have lifetime warranty with the shop i didn't sweat too much

Quick Reply: Tint - What type to get?