Fit Bike Rack!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Fit Bike Rack!

Have seen a few bike racks on here, just though I would share my upcoming project.

Just ordered in a hitch for the car, should be in stock here in a few days time. Going to pick up a Swagman hitch mounted "Cross Country XC" bike rack. My bikes seem to have a funny fit on other racks, I choose this one because it has a more universal fit.

It folds up when not in use, the stand also folds down for easy access into the hatch. Mounting the bikes looks very easy and simple compared to other racks. I have also heard this system is a lot more stable than other racks.

More pics and review to come once everything is installed.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
I have the Holly Wood rack like that, very easy to use and it holds the bikes tight and secure.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Got my hitch and rack today. The hitch is a Curt class 1, the fit and finish is of excellent quality. Instructions are very clear, should be a piece of cake to install.

The bike rack is a Swagman cross country XC w/ 1-1/4" receiver & threaded bolt. Was quick to assemble, folds up... or folds down. Kind of like a magic rack Looks like it will be very versatile. Construction is also very good, everything fits together snugly.

I picked up both items locally from a shop in Calgary; the hitch was 153.45$, the Swagman XC was 139.95.

here are the pics;

Picture of the Hitch:

Picture of the Hitch Interface:

Picture of the Rack:

Picture of the assembled Rack:

Close up the lower part of the rack:

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-10-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
noice! how snug is teh rack into the hitch? mine is kinda loose feeling. maybe its just me though

Old 07-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
It feels really snug, unless you get it straight on it almost feels like it won't slide on! Once I have it mounted onto the car I will get a better idea of how secure it feels. The main unit actually mounts onto a 2" receiver, but it has 2 set screws underneath to eliminate any play.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
yeah, it might be different with it mounted and with WEIGHT on it.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Yeah once it is on I will measure the play at the ends. I am expecting maybe about a half inch with the bikes loaded.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
i mean when driving there is a very noticable movement in the rack.

Name:  new2-48.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  109.1 KB

Old 07-11-2008, 01:19 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
It looks like a solid setup, do you mean side to side or back and forth when you accelerate?

Old 07-11-2008, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member
Looking forward to seeing it installed and loaded.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:39 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Well I was able to do the hitch install in about 5 minutes flat. Was the easiest install I have ever done! You remove three existing bolts, then bolt up the hitch at those locations and a u-bolt fastens to the tow hook. That is it!

The bike rack was also easy to install, slide in the extension with 2" receiver adapter. There is a threaded pin that tightens in, it also serves to remove any play between the receiver and the new adapter. I was impressed by how effective it was, the cotter pin is really just a safety requirement and serves no other purpose, there is no way anybody is removing that bolt by hand.

Once the adapter is in place you slide on the rack, it is held in loosely with another pin, then you install two huge 17mm set screws that remove any play in that section. The whole rack is surprisingly stiff considering how much is cantilevered out.

It took some messing around to get the right combination of spacing for the two bikes. You have to slide the tire holders back and forth until you can get them to agree where handlebars and seat posts can go. It took about 10 minutes for me to get it right. Once you have that figured out the ratcheting hooks just pressed down snuggly and even though my finances bike has an angled cross bar it still hooked it securely. Once all the weight was added there is some flex to the steel itself, however nothing more than a slight bob at worst comes out of this system.

Once it is on driving is pretty easy, they sit low enough that visibility is practically unaffected. However with that said it also is up high enough that there is pretty much no way of bottoming it out on a bump. The hitch has two holes in the plate which make it easy to lock everything up nicely.

I give it a thumbs up. The only problems I see is my bikes are somehow wider than my car! I will have to be careful not to clip any posts with a bike tire when I drive by.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-11-2008 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
nice bike man..heh

anywho...man i love those bike racks...

i might get one soon

Old 07-12-2008, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
OP, how much was your rack? did you get it from etrailer.com?

Old 07-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Nope I decided to get it locally shop that specializes in hitches and racks just in case I ran into any problems; check out post #3. I put up the prices for the two items there. Those are CAD prices (not that it matters much anymore with the exchange rate at par)

Originally Posted by SD_MR_FIT
nice bike man..heh
anywho...man i love those bike racks...
i might get one soon
Yeah it is a sweet system, much better than the old strap on racks that always ended up tearing holes in your paint. I had looked at a system like the one Solbrothers had, but the steep angle on the blue bike makes it a unique fit and one other hanger type rack systems I always have trouble with it.

One thing I forgot to take a picture of is how the center post folds down to allow hatch access, it is a pretty slick.

haha, notice the front fork? I replaced the original stickers with my Tanabe ones I got from with my springs. Guys I ride with always do a double take on when they notice it.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-12-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
dang, me ftl lol. thanks again.

have you driven with the bikes on the rack? is there any clanking? like play between the hitch and rack?

Old 07-12-2008, 12:19 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
dang, me ftl lol. thanks again.

have you driven with the bikes on the rack? is there any clanking? like play between the hitch and rack?
You know I was expecting there would be with the tolerances between the two components. But I noticed after I started threading in the bolt it sucked the adapter right over to the left side of the receiver. Inside the adapter is a totally solid and threaded block of steel.

After I really tightened up the bolt with a ratchet there is no movement at all. You can move the whole car around and it is totally solid. I think if it was just a pin then it would still move around.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
see, mine is just a pin connecting the hitch and rack. that is probably the issue. i gotta take a look at it tomorrow. throw a bolt on there

Old 07-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
If you can get a bolt inside the adapter it would tighten up to one side similar to mine. If you put it on the outside of the receiver there would still be some play in it.

Yeah I had looked at ordering something from online, but with the shipping costs to Canada and then brokerage fees I was getting about the same price as just getting it locally. That was a major factor behind my decision.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
yeah thanks. i'll try to figure something out with this rack lol. maybe just glue some washers to one side lol. idk. rep for you

Old 07-13-2008, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
i see you ride fixed
do you get hated on as much as i do? haha

Quick Reply: Fit Bike Rack!