Performance mods without effecting MPG

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Performance mods without effecting MPG

Recently bought my new 08" Fit Sport, and am looking for advice on performance modifications that won't effect my fit's gas milage or functionality. Weight reduction would be awesome because it would help me with both performance and my MPG.

Any thoughts? I have a good amount of money to put into my car, but really want to keep that MPG and cargo carrying capability.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I have done pretty much everything you can to a Naturally Aspirated car, affects on my mileage were negligable.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/eco-...w-mileage.html

If you are looking for mods to bump up your MPG some of the good ones are weight reduction, lightweight pulleys and lightweight rims.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:04 AM
go with with your basic i/h/e bolt ons. shouldn't effect the mpg and they make the car sound better in the process.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Alrighty, I'm looking at replacing my hood and maybe the hatch with Carbon Fiber, and buying some lightweight rims. Shouldn't make a huge difference as of yet, but I'll record my MPG before and after anyways.

I hope to make a modification around once a month from here.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:05 PM
I haven't noticed that IHE mods affect the economy of the Fit in a bad way. I was averageing 37-39 MPG before adding the CAI and axle-back exhaust. Now I average 40 MPG as reliably as the tide (360-375 miles to the fuel light) Lighter weight is always a good thing also.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:17 PM
If I remember correctly, I believe I saw a K20 swap video on YouTube with the owner of the car later making a comment saying that if he drove the car regularly, he got just as good mileage as he did with the L15A.

Now I'm sure this is nearly impossible considering I'm not sure man has the will power to resist pushing a K20 in a Fit!

Old 10-02-2008, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
I haven't noticed that IHE mods affect the economy of the Fit in a bad way. I was averageing 37-39 MPG before adding the CAI and axle-back exhaust. Now I average 40 MPG as reliably as the tide (360-375 miles to the fuel light) Lighter weight is always a good thing also.
I have a problem understanding how you say that you get 40MPG when your fuel light comes on at 360 to 375 miles. Mine came on at 410 miles today and I only averaged 35.4 MPG for this tank of fuel. I usually get 37.5 when driving mostly on U.S. highways but fuel quality is not as good as of late. I have CAI, 2 1/2 axle back pipe with a generic glass pack muffler, iridium plugs, and Next Level module which have improved the performance and the fuel mileage by about 3 MPG on both highway and city averages.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
hay guise, "performance mods" dont do anything!! at least on our cars. ur butt dynos are broken

Old 10-03-2008, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Would you care to explain the facts that substantiate your comment, or are you stating an unfounded opinion.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I have a problem understanding how you say that you get 40MPG when your fuel light comes on at 360 to 375 miles. Mine came on at 410 miles today and I only averaged 35.4 MPG for this tank of fuel. I usually get 37.5 when driving mostly on U.S. highways but fuel quality is not as good as of late. I have CAI, 2 1/2 axle back pipe with a generic glass pack muffler, iridium plugs, and Next Level module which have improved the performance and the fuel mileage by about 3 MPG on both highway and city averages.

If you're getting 35.4mpg at 410miles...you are using 11.58 gallons of fuel. the 2007-2008 / 2009 Fit's have 10.5 / 11 gallon (i think) fuel tanks, respectively. So unless you have some custom fuel tank, your MPG calculations are off. The easiest way to calculate your FE each tank is to reset your trip odometer every time you fill up the tank. Then when it comes time to re-fuel, take the number of miles on the odometer and divide by the amount of fuel you just put in. That should help straighten out your calculations.

The fuel light on the GD3's comes on when there' about 1-1.5 gallons left in the tank. Or 9 - 9.5 gallons consumed. Getting 360-375 gallons at this point equates to an average FE of betweem 37.89 and 41.67 mpg which makes his claim of getting 40mpg completely valid.

I hope this alleviates your confusion.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
There is no confusion here. I actually drove a total of 440.7 miles before filling up and putting 12.42 gallons into my tank by filling it all the way to the top of the neck. This is the only way that I know of to get an honest average with carrying a can of gas, running till empty clearing the odometer, putting the gallon in, and then adding 9 or whatever and repeating the procedure. I also shake the car to release trapped air. The tank may only be 10 or 11 gallons but the location of the tank is under the front seat and the filling tube is quite long, accounting for the capacity discrepancy. Different pumps at different stations pump fuel at different rates of speed and will cut off sooner or later and aren't consistent in the filling process. I did make a mistake due to faulty memory. After looking at my receipt I found that my average was 34.7. I hope this alleviates your confusion. Thank you for your reply.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
Would you care to explain the facts that substantiate your comment, or are you stating an unfounded opinion.
my stock fit gets over 45mpg average. do that with ur modded-to-shit car

plus, our car is dyno proven to NOT react to bolt-ons. forced induction or a swap is the only way to get good power.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
There is no confusion here. I actually drove a total of 440.7 miles before filling up and putting 12.42 gallons into my tank by filling it all the way to the top of the neck. This is the only way that I know of to get an honest average...

...Different pumps at different stations pump fuel at different rates of speed and will cut off sooner or later and aren't consistent in the filling process.
One way to beat this is to use the same pump ever time you fill up. That's what I do.

Originally Posted by solbrothers
...our car is dyno proven to NOT react to bolt-ons. forced induction or a swap is the only way to get good power.
to say that the L15A simply does NOT react to bolt ons may be a bit of an overstatement. To say that it does not react well would be more accurate. As I'm sure you know, Import Tuner did a power page article on the fit where they put an intake, exhaust and lightweight pulley in and got gains of 5.3 / 1.7 / 2.5 hp, respectively.

Compare that to a K-series motor which can get up to +20 hp from just an intake (or so I hear). My buddy took his RSX-S to the track with just an intake...stock tires and all...and ran a 14.7.

Plus not everyone feels like spending the $4k+ on a FI system or the $6k+ for a swap. Not everyone wants to have a fast Fit...some people just want to squeeze a little more fun out of it.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
You obviously have a magic car or a way with numbers like Freddy Mac and Fanny Mae. I agree that dyno results aren't spectacular, but they are irrelevant when the goal is to improve real world utilization of power by improving efficiency which also improves gas mileage. As for your discourteous remark about my car being "modded-to-shit", except for a slight audible change in the sound of the exhaust, the dealer tinted windows, and being able to use only 1st 3rd and 5th gears in traffic my car appears to be perfectly stock.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
That is what I would do, (and did) but most of my driving is to VA medical appointments, and I drove 514 this week to make two of them, and had only driven 49 miles of which 22 of them were to the local VA outpatient clinic. I really don't have the luxury of doing it that way.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:06 AM
Fit Freak Member
Lightweight wheels, lightweight pulleys, and lightweight body panels such as a carbon fiber hood should make driving more fun and keep the MPG in check.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Love
Lightweight wheels, lightweight pulleys, and lightweight body panels such as a carbon fiber hood should make driving more fun and keep the MPG in check.
I agree about the reduction of rotating mass by using lighter pulleys and wheels. I could go on a diet and get more of a performance increase than I would receive from using lighter body pieces. If building a race car with corporate sponsorship that would be the way to go, but chunking the backseat, spare tire and jack would be cheaper and probably result in a larger reduction of weight. Hey, I'm an old man and even make my own cigarettes to save money. I even wash out and reuse paper towels. I must admit though, carbon fiber goodies do look very trick. I am putting away money for the lightest wheel tire combination that is practical because I know for a fact that it will be very positive performance improvement. I love my Fit also. After over 2 years of ownership, it still makes me enjoy driving.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
Not smoking altogether would save you more money than rolling your own cigarettes haha

Old 10-04-2008, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
I have given up all of my many vices except for an average of 10 smokes a day that sets me back less than $1.25 a day. I sometimes quit for a week or more but always go for at least a few days without a month. Since changing to a tobacco that is free of chemical additives my lungs are clear. I don't think that smoking is a good thing but I don't think it is any worse than the pharmaceutical cocktails that I am being prescribed. Smoking does help me fight the urge to want to find and kill internet trolls, and that has to be good for them. I don't smoke in my car, another good thing. Thank you though for the wise advice.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
I have given up all of my many vices except for an average of 10 smokes a day that sets me back less than $1.25 a day. I sometimes quit for a week or more but always go for at least a few days without a month. Since changing to a tobacco that is free of chemical additives my lungs are clear. I don't think that smoking is a good thing but I don't think it is any worse than the pharmaceutical cocktails that I am being prescribed. Smoking does help me fight the urge to want to find and kill internet trolls, and that has to be good for them. I don't smoke in my car, another good thing. Thank you though for the wise advice.
just look at sol's sig, he really is the biggest douche bag on this site. it's either his way/opinion or it just isn't anything to him. big brass balls w/out the necessary backing.

go ride your bike, Sol.

Quick Reply: Performance mods without effecting MPG