removal of a/c and powersteering belts

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:23 PM
removal of a/c and powersteering belts

i was wondering if the removal of these belts would help in horsepower. i used the search button but nothing came up sorry if this is a repost... and if anyone has done could they please post some pics of what the belts look like and their method of removal.. thanks

Old 08-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by bigcam112
i was wondering if the removal of these belts would help in horsepower. i used the search button but nothing came up sorry if this is a repost... and if anyone has done could they please post some pics of what the belts look like and their method of removal.. thanks
You should get to know your car a little better.

The Fit uses Electronic Power Steering and there is no belt to remove. It still uses a belt for the air conditioning system, however I can't see any benefit to removing that. It's not like it runs when you're not using the A/C.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:52 PM
oh sorry for not knowing the ins and outs.. but as with old honda hatchbacks and such you can remove power steering and a/c belts to gain a few horsepower. and with the a/c comment there is still drag created by the belt even while it is not operating slowing down the time it would take the motor to spin the belts

Old 08-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Very little. If the compressor isn't engaged the engine is just turning the pulley on it's bearing. Also you'd have to re route the belt since it uses only one belt... something like this...

You'd have to make sure all the pulleys still rotate in the same direction, so you'd have to install another idler pulley in place of the A/C compressor. In which case you'll have...a pulley being spun on it's bearing with no load.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:42 PM
thanks for the answer

Old 08-12-2008, 04:52 AM
removal of all the AC parts and power steering parts(if they're bulky, I guess, I don't know anything about EPS) will result in weight loss, 40 lbs for the AC, not sure for the PS.

you can also remove the spare tire and tools for maybe 20-30 lbs in savings.

removing spare tire, passenger seat, rear seats, AC = 150+lbs weight reduction.

you know how much slower the car feels with a passenger? well, removing that stuff is basically like losing a passenger and dropping .5 seconds off your quarter mile

so, yes, you could see some gains if you did all that :-P

Old 08-13-2008, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
^ i think the AC actually weighs a little more than that. i think something like 55 lbs.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:53 PM
The AC weighs 22lbs, I know cuz i removed mine and weighed it, and that's 22lbs for the AC lines, pump, AC condenser, and the difference in weight between the Fit sport belt and the Fit base belt, in a straight line you don't really feel the difference, but you'll immediately notice it in a corner, when you do remove it take the car for a test drive on some corners where you know how fast you used to be able to go around them and you'll probably be able to increase that speed 5-10km/hr depending on how tight of a corner it is, I didn't do the work myself so i don't have pics, but i went to a body shop to get it removed and it cost me $120 for 2 hours of labour.

Edit: I should note that your apex and exit speeds should be 5-10km/hr higher, but you may have to go a little slower into the turn since removing the AC also reduces the cars steering response a bit.

Last edited by bluerice; 12-23-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by bigcam112
oh sorry for not knowing the ins and outs.. but as with old honda hatchbacks and such you can remove power steering and a/c belts to gain a few horsepower. and with the a/c comment there is still drag created by the belt even while it is not operating slowing down the time it would take the motor to spin the belts
If you are that concerened about the minimal belt drag you need to move into a car with a bigger engine my friend.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bluerice
The AC weighs 22lbs, I know cuz i removed mine and weighed it, and that's 22lbs for the AC lines, pump, AC condenser, and the difference in weight between the Fit sport belt and the Fit base belt, in a straight line you don't really feel the difference, but you'll immediately notice it in a corner, when you do remove it take the car for a test drive on some corners where you know how fast you used to be able to go around them and you'll probably be able to increase that speed 5-10km/hr depending on how tight of a corner it is, I didn't do the work myself so i don't have pics, but i went to a body shop to get it removed and it cost me $120 for 2 hours of labour.

Edit: I should note that your apex and exit speeds should be 5-10km/hr higher, but you may have to go a little slower into the turn since removing the AC also reduces the cars steering response a bit.
hahaha wtf