CarPuter

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 05:55 PM
CarPuter

Hi guys, this is going to be my "introduction" post as I'll be putting on the table my Carputer project. As for me, I'm an electronics technician working in the maritime business, I've been working for a while on "small sized" computers.
I own my 2008 TW Fit Sport for 3 months now and I'm more than satisfied! That's why I'm confortable in investing in such pratictal and economical Car.
I'm planning to use one small computer to put it in my Fit. I've got many ideas which I think are all possible.

First, I bought the double DIN rack for the Fit:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/2007-Honda-Fit-Sp...2em118Q2el1247

I'm planning on putting this motorised LCD:
http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/730
Since it won't "expose" the big 7" screen while I'll be parked in some "risky" places. And it can still be used even if my carputer's not there (in the winter, by -40deg C). It'll aslo leave me a spot for the pocket storage supplied with the kit, adding more storage for CDs in my Fit, since the JDM center console is still too expensive. The only downside is no DVD/CD Drive, I might find a workaround sometime soon.

As for the PC itelsf, here's the casing and power supply that I'll use (not this "Ebay" one since I've got cheaper providers):
http://cgi.ebay.ca/M2-ATX-PSU-and-Vo...2em118Q2el1247
I'll have to think of somewhere where I'll put it :S

I don't know yet about the main board, probably something not TOO quick since some Core 2 DUO processors tends to heat up a little in such small casings. I'll get back to it later when I'll have chosen it.

I'll add also some OBD2 support via this little thing:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/OBD2-to-USB-Lapto...dZp1638Q2em122

The software that'll be running on WinXP will be either "RoadRunner" or "CentraFuse". Plus some little soft that I'll code with Visual Studio.

Ok now for the "fun" part, I'll list some of the functions I hope it's oing to support:
- OBD2 communications, enabling diagnostics at "anytime" through the software.
- Possibilty to connect to internet via cellular ($$$ $$$) or by Wifi when close to a free or my home's network.
- All my music on the computer runned by either ITunes or the Software.
Cool trick coming :
- A small program running in background, taking information from the OBD2 and displaying it on small OLED screens behing a 3 Gauge Pod mounted on Dash. I'm planning on "simulating" gauges that'll be customizable (ability to change the info, emplacement in the pod and colors).
- I also thought of controlling some things via the screen with electronic relays activated by the Carputer.

And that's pretty much it, I know I've thought of other things which I don't remember now but'll come up later.

If you guys have any questions or suggestions, you're more thant welcome!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Sounds like you have a great project planned!

If you have any questions about Centrafuse, feel free to ask.

I would encourage the use of our forums for your research and to ask questions a well as learn about cool plug-ins and find 3rd party skins.

http://forums.fluxmedia.net

Any questions? Just ask!

Congrats on getting this far. Can't wait to see the finished product.

~Jan

Old 09-07-2008, 03:28 PM
i thought one of the most popular carputer site is mp3car.com, i used to build one for my lude, never seen a car with so many USB cable :P

Old 10-20-2008, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
I too have an 08 Fit. I had this same idea, but I'm stuck on a couple things...

Where do you plan to place the CPU? There is definitely no room under the drive or passenger seat, it's for sure won't fit in the glove box, and if you put it under any of the rear seats, you loose the ability to fold them down... The only other place I could think of was in the back, in the cargo space... What were you thinking?

Old 10-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Well... I've received my OBD2 to USB module last month. Did some tests, looks pretty cool, the informations and update rate we can get are pretty neat.

As for the Computer casing... I don't know what you're planning to use but I know some MicroPCs Like this one from VIA:
VIA Pico-ITX Mainboard Form Factor: 10cm x 7.2cm - VIA Technologies, Inc.
But you'll have to sacrifice Speed...

But I might plan installing everything separated. Like power supply alone somewhere in it's own box. Same for the Pico-Itx and the OBD2 to USB, and afterwards my own CPU module for the Gauges... I think it'll be the key not to mount everything in the same box...

It's just a shame that I don't have time to build it right now... Allready too many projects to do at work!!!

Old 10-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Fafouin
Well... I've received my OBD2 to USB module last month. Did some tests, looks pretty cool, the informations and update rate we can get are pretty neat.

As for the Computer casing... I don't know what you're planning to use but I know some MicroPCs Like this one from VIA:
VIA Pico-ITX Mainboard Form Factor: 10cm x 7.2cm - VIA Technologies, Inc.
But you'll have to sacrifice Speed...

But I might plan installing everything separated. Like power supply alone somewhere in it's own box. Same for the Pico-Itx and the OBD2 to USB, and afterwards my own CPU module for the Gauges... I think it'll be the key not to mount everything in the same box...

It's just a shame that I don't have time to build it right now... Allready too many projects to do at work!!!
Man that board is tiny!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:09 PM
via

Originally Posted by SecSpyral
Man that board is tiny!
I'm into intel but for carputers Via's the way to go. I have nothing to help your cause but I'm going to lurk enthusiastically. I hope you'll photograph and document EVERYTHING FANATICALLY!!!! Good luck man!!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by feddup
I'm into intel but for carputers Via's the way to go. I have nothing to help your cause but I'm going to lurk enthusiastically. I hope you'll photograph and document EVERYTHING FANATICALLY!!!! Good luck man!!
Same. I'm really interested in what will turn out. Please try to document this stuff.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:22 PM
where?

Where to put the actual PC is the question. It'd be nice if it were accessible yet out of the way. Under the seat won't work!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:49 AM
Right behind the glove box (which pops out easily) there's a small room for a small PC. Squeezed between the glovebox itself and the blower, there's a little flat space on each side of the blower... It also means for people from up North that you system will always be close to your car's hot air, wherever you send it, Either defrost or feets... I Might even think about "cutting" a hole in the side of the blower for either cooling or heating a little the CPU with the car's air.

As for pictures and documentation, I work in a R&D environment... So there shouldn't be any problem about documentation

Old 10-21-2008, 07:03 PM
i used to be able to fit everything in an OEM CD changer in the back, just long cable though

Old 02-26-2009, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
I'm starting a Carputer install in my 2008 Fit Sport; it's going to end up being a long process, partly because when I do it, I want to do it right and do everything at the same time. I'm sure the longest part is going to be stripping the car, dynomatting it, and running all the cables under the carpet...

As far as my current progress is concerned, I've ordered a few parts, and have the actual computer up and running in my computer shop. Still waiting on the LCD screen before doing anything else... Then I'll look around for some nice speakers and amp.

As far as the location is concerned, I didn't want to compromise the ability to fold the seats down, nor did I want to loose cargo space. So, my solution was to make a cargo cover out of wood, and mount the PC and amp(s) to the bottom of that. Right now, I've got the wood cut and have started covering it with some foam. Next, I'll get some automotive carpet so it'll match the interior. The PC will be mounted from the bottom to keep it out of the sun and out of sight.

You can follow my progress at http://Fit.Bucklin.name

Wish me luck; and I'm open to any suggestions you might have...

Old 02-27-2009, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
i am very interested in your progress (all you carputer peeps) i'm checking back every so offten to see progress on this thread, i want a scanguage so bad to watch what my car is doing, i just don't like the how lame the display is, i want a l.e.d. type screen or something like that not the little 2"wx1"t dot matrix (dont know what it's really called) screen.

so this is coooooooooooooool

Old 02-27-2009, 11:00 AM
I've done a few carputers, for what you want to do, stick with a Via M-series boards, they're about 7"x7"...

You can go Nano series boards if you have the money for it.

And to control things with relays, you need to pickup a FusionBrain from fusioncontrolcentre.com.

For the screen, why not just use a 7" screen and have it mounted flush to the dash kit? It would look very clean...

I'll post up pix & info when I'm doing mine...

Old 02-27-2009, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ACleanSC4
...For the screen, why not just use a 7" screen and have it mounted flush to the dash kit? It would look very clean...
Yes, that is what I am doing as well. I will also post pictures up with my progress on my CarDomain page listed a few posts earlier...

Old 02-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Where to put it

Well here is one option for a spot to put it. Spare tire under the cargo area. Yes you will lose the spare tire, but you got AAA then whatever.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Link

You didnt leave a link to your site

Old 06-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by Bigtwenty
You didnt leave a link to your site
Too bad he didn't, 'cause I would totally have given him money. Who could resist such an honest and reputable seeming post?