I did it, changed oil early.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 12:40 PM
I did it, changed oil early.

Well, changed some. After hearing how much better the OEM filter is compaired to the "Fram" Honda that we get here, I left the filter in and just drained what was in the pan.

Why did I do it this way? Draining the pan only took out 3 quarts and hopefully all the random bits in the bottom. More importantly it left in 1.4 quarts of the magic "break-in" oil. I will leave it this way until 5000 when I switch over to synthetic and sample the oil again to see if my early change did any harm. I will post results from this sample when I get it back from the lab.

Cliff notes: Changed 3 quarts at 1488 miles and left OEM filter there, will send oil sample off to a lab for analysis.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
well I changed oil yesterday at just a tad over 2k. changed filter also. lol, royal purple with a pure umm oilator filter or somethin. Guy recommended it over a fram which was $6 compared to $4 I think for the pure one. Next change'll come before winter. Also used 5-30 compared to 5-20.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:58 PM
FALCON PUNCH!!
5 Year Member
Didn't change your oil filter, huh? Do you also put your undies back on without wiping?

Old 09-07-2008, 02:10 PM
The first oil service should not be done untill %15 on the panel. The factory oil is special, and only available from the factory in a new engine. After that change it to suit your self.. I use sys every 6 mo or 6000, with filter, which ever comes first.....

Old 09-07-2008, 02:24 PM
It's best to do both at once, but I would feel changing the filter is more important than the oil - when you're changing prematurely. The filter should be the one trapping contaminants, keeping the rest of the oil in the pan fairly clean.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
I only use Honda OEM Filters. I would never use FRAM!

Old 09-07-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm a fram user...but only toughgaurd. Do you have a photo of that taken apart?

I will not get the original orange filter from fram simply because of how light weight it feels. But the weight of the toughgard and honda felt quite similar. Although i realize that's no good way to compare filter quality, but its all i could do!

Old 09-07-2008, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
What's so special about the oil honda uses? I read it somewhere else to but yea, searched and I can't remember what thread it was a part of or if it was even on this site lol.
Honda says 600mile break in period though so iono. I was a little worried about oil change at 2k but I know some of the guys here did it sooner and went the same route with synt. right away.
One thing I was surprised not to see were any shavings in the oil from stuff wearing in though.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
I owned a 92 accord and put over 200k miles on it using fram oil filters its whole life I had it for, and it ran fine with no problems.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Fa1
Only hamp filters for me.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:47 PM
That Honda A01 filter looks good, is the one that comes from the factory. My local dealer could only supply the A02 filter, made in Canada and rumored to be by Fram.

Originally Posted by Super Mario
I only use Honda OEM Filters. I would never use FRAM!

Old 09-07-2008, 04:59 PM
i got a wix for 3 dollars ;-D

Old 09-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Purolator, K&N, Mobil1 all make very good filters.
I run purolator filters myself.
They have been making filters since 1923. Longer then anyone.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by artieman
Purolator, K&N, Mobil1 all make very good filters.
I run purolator filters myself.
They have been making filters since 1923. Longer then anyone.
me too...!!!

Old 09-07-2008, 08:25 PM
That "magic" break-in oil has molybdenum in it, and Honda has repeatedly said NOT to change it until at least 5k, so why do it?

I'm not saying what you did is wrong or going to kill your car, but it seems like an unnecessary risk. At the very least it could void your warranty if they find out (which they won't, but that's not the point).

Old 09-07-2008, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by explosivpotato
That "magic" break-in oil has molybdenum in it, and Honda has repeatedly said NOT to change it until at least 5k, so why do it?

I'm not saying what you did is wrong or going to kill your car, but it seems like an unnecessary risk. At the very least it could void your warranty if they find out (which they won't, but that's not the point).
You don't get it, do you? Most car forum posters (including DallasPete obviously) are smarter than the engineers that work for car manufacturers that's all there is too it.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by explosivpotato

I dont know about voiding the warranty. I have not seen anything in the literature i was given to indicate that. =)

And they could find out if you document your actions, and the computer knows when you reset the oil life meter etc.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nodrogkam
I'm a fram user...but only toughgaurd. Do you have a photo of that taken apart?

I will not get the original orange filter from fram simply because of how light weight it feels. But the weight of the toughgard and honda felt quite similar. Although i realize that's no good way to compare filter quality, but its all i could do!
I don't have a picture of the toughguard taken apart. I didn't take that picture. I found it discussed on another Honda forum.

I've heard good things about Purolator filters also, but I've never used one. I might give them a try if they're cheaper and easy to find.

As far as changing the oil too early, all I've heard through word of mouth is that there's some kind of "stuff" that's supposed to be broken down within the first 5000 miles, so that's why we're not supposed to touch it

Last edited by Super Mario; 09-07-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
lol I suck at life then :P I even wrote it down :/ lawl. I'll just tear that page outa that log sheet they give you lol. I was never told to wait until a magic 5k mark either. Just was told to change it 3kish or so each time. Granted if you look in the manual it says to wait until the oil ind. says 15% about I think. Just was never informed I guess about it. I knew there was "special" stuff, that moly in there but didn't know honda recommended at set time for it to be there.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
Regarding oil filters, I just found this review: Oil Filters

Quick Reply: I did it, changed oil early.