Help with applying decals properly

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
Help with applying decals properly

I have never put a decal on any of my cars and ive bought a couple of decals to stick on the back window.. is there a proper way to apply a decal without it bubbling or anything else. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-21-2008, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
clean the window. spray the window with water. position decal. use a credit or decal squeegee to smooth out and push out any bumps/air bubbles. wait till it dries, remove top paper, rep me

Old 09-21-2008, 02:51 AM
Merchant / Group Buy Organizer ( non-certified )
After you clean the window take a couple pieces of masking tape and use them to hold the decal in place. You can measure from the bottom of your window to the bottom of the decal to make sure the decal is level. Then make a hinge across the bottom of the decal with masking tape. Remove the paper backing and apply slowly from the bottom up with a sqeegie or credit card. Then remove the transfer tape.

solbrothers' method will also work. I use both methods depending on what I'm installing. Vinyl installation fluid will work better than water if you are using the wet method. I design and install graphics for a living: Tfb designs custom graphics- signs, banners, decals & more

Old 09-21-2008, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member
that's confusing ^^^^ haha.

Sol will your way work for all decals? I ALWAYS manage to mess something up. I seriously need help

Old 09-21-2008, 03:04 AM
Merchant / Group Buy Organizer ( non-certified )
Yeah solbrothers' way will work for window decals. It's not that hard just make sure the window is clean and take your time.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:18 AM
5 Year Member
Ok. I still don't really get the part of how to get the decal wet and what to do with it once it's wet. Trust me dude I'm an idiot. lolo

Old 09-21-2008, 05:49 AM
again

Originally Posted by goodyonsen
Ok. I still don't really get the part of how to get the decal wet and what to do with it once it's wet. Trust me dude I'm an idiot. lolo
Do these rules apply to, for example, the fitfreak decals we got from atticusfit? I'm old and getting adhesives wet is contradictory to what I've been taught. Time moves on and I've been wrong before and will be again. Any help is appreciated!

Old 09-21-2008, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
so.. if i'm getting this right...

Sol Says..

1.Clean surface
2.Wet the surface
3.Apply the decal dry(?) onto wet surface.
4.After sticking of decal.. use squeegie/credit card and smooth
5.Remove any surface/bubbles
6.wait til dry(?) and remove paper backing and voila!

TFB says..

1. Clean surface
2. Level the Decal to the level of the lining of the bottom window. So its parallel(or however you like).
3. Apply some masking tape to the bottom of the decal(like a hinge or tab).
4. Peel paper backing from decal.
5. Apply decal from bottom to top slowly, and simultaneously squeegieing surface in the same manner.
6. Remove the transfer tape with the tab/hinge made with masking tape from bottom to top at the same time your are doing step 5.
7. Finish?

I hope.

Last edited by rawrItsJello; 09-21-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:46 PM
which?

Originally Posted by rawrItsJello
so.. if i'm getting this right...

Sol Says..

1.Clean surface
2.Wet the surface
3.Apply the decal dry(?) onto wet surface.
4.After sticking of decal.. use squeegie/credit card and smooth
5.Remove any surface/bubbles
6.wait til dry(?) and remove paper backing and voila!

TFB says..

1. Clean surface
2. Level the Decal to the level of the lining of the bottom window. So its parallel(or however you like).
3. Apply some masking tape to the bottom of the decal(like a hinge or tab).
4. Peel paper backing from decal.
5. Apply decal from bottom to top slowly, and simultaneously squeegieing surface in the same manner.
6. Remove the transfer tape with the tab/hinge made with masking tape from bottom to top at the same time your are doing step 5.
7. Finish?

I hope.
So which is it? Water or no water? I only paid $5 for the decal so it's not a big issue. Hell I'm usually most worried about how to get them off!

Old 09-21-2008, 01:07 PM
I applied my decal dry like TFB's method. I'm actually wondering now if the wet method might have worked better.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
the wet method is only good if you need to have it perfectly centered. My buddy owns a vinyl shop....we use salt water when we do trailers and such.

if yuo do use the water method, squeegee from center out

Old 09-21-2008, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
all i do is...clean the window, stick one end down, start at that end with a credit card style card, slide it down til the whole sticker is on, then i just took my finger and rubbed all over to make sure each letter is on good, peeled the back piece off at an angle, done. its been on for 2 weeks now or so and still looks good.

thats what i did when i put on my fitfreak.net sticker from attics. worked just fine for me.

i did screw up putting on the dot on one of the decals... had to put on a new sticker, i just used windex and scrubbed to remove the gunk from the old sticker(after it was on for about a week).

Old 09-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Mine's been on for over a month, and been through several washes. I've found though that I have to be careful when drying; the towel seems to like to get caught on my decal

Old 09-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I just make sure the surface is clean and dry where the stickers is going to go. Making sure to have the sticker where you desire and then just press and peel. I have used a credit card to remove any bubbles. I love decals and currently waiting on a recent one purchased off e-bay.

Cat :x

Old 09-26-2008, 12:25 AM
I put some sohc vtec stickers on my old civic. It was on paint, which meant cleaning off the wax with a little ammonia in water, but with a dry application they never peeled after 3 years of use and abuse.

Maybe not the best sticker choice in the world, but I wanted something that helped the rear doors not look so huge compared to the front of the car.

On a window, make sure you don't use hard water or it leaves interesting spots!

lol@ Cat's sig. uh oh here we go again talkin' about that feeling so genuine

Old 09-29-2008, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
applying it wet wont harm the longevity of the product. hell, we spray down the bumper protectors on the toyotas/scions at work. and they come out great.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member