Redlining Honda Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
Redlining Honda Fit?

Did anyone almost or did redline their fit yet? any damages that result? i'm just asking cause i almost did redline my fit the other day. i know its scary cause i baby my fit a lot, but its fun. hehe

Old 11-26-2008, 08:28 AM
I have before...Not trying to race or anything, but just to see what she had. Why would it do damage? I see maybe if you did it constantly, but the car was made so it could rev that high.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RandomKoko
Did anyone almost or did redline their fit yet? any damages that result? i'm just asking cause i almost did redline my fit the other day. i know its scary cause i baby my fit a lot, but its fun. hehe
Once I shifted late and must have hit the fuel cutoff. My acceleration just stopped. I'm sure it is just like grinding gears, if it only happens rarely, you will be just fine. However, if you do it daily, well, you can imagine what could happen.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:57 AM
That's what rev limiters are for...

Old 11-26-2008, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
i rev my car to 6k almost every day. i usually shift a few hundred before fuel cut-off though.

i see no harm in doing this, the power is made the higher in the rpms, so if honda doesnt want you revving the car that high, they better redesign how/when the car builds power, and what the redline is.

BTW, im sure its common knowldge, but there is no rev limiter when downshifting.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
Right, Honda's especially are made to withstand rev's. I worked at a racing school(mechanic) and the motors would rev to 7k all day long, day in day out for the hole year with just oil changes. Not once did we ever blow a motor going up in speed.... its just going down.

Limiter going up a gear is fine... going down... you will break something

Old 11-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by SHG_Mike
Right, Honda's especially are made to withstand rev's. I worked at a racing school(mechanic) and the motors would rev to 7k all day long, day in day out for the hole year with just oil changes. Not once did we ever blow a motor going up in speed.... its just going down.

Limiter going up a gear is fine... going down... you will break something
^ Yup, I'm a crew chief on a Touring Car team and we're not afraid of redline or the rev limiter for that matter either... all of our engine failures are usually over revs or part failures.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
The L15 likes it. As long as you do it right. Like mentioned above.

H = Honda
H = High Revs

coincidence? I think not.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NBPturtle
I have before...Not trying to race or anything, but just to see what she had. Why would it do damage? I see maybe if you did it constantly, but the car was made so it could rev that high.

i know i was very impress too. i had to yield on to the freeway so i was on 2nd gear. and i simply floor it through the 4thgear. it was fun and see the potential of the fit.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
I redlined last Saturday. No problems what so ever. It was the first time doing it since I bought my GE8.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
My old Integra was chipped and modded and would run up to its 8600 RPM redline with no ill consequences. NO need to wait that long to shift though, as the power band only extended to about 7500. After that there's no torque...
Same with my old WRX. You could feel the turbo surge tapering around 6000, and I think the redline was 7200.
I've yet to redline the Fit because it feels the power fades pretty drastically at about 6000 or so. Keep it in the powerband!

Old 11-26-2008, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
is two threads on this necessary? lol ;] redlining is fine. occasionally i will go too far and 'tap' the rev limiter, nearly 20k of driving my fit hard and no issues.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Just shy of 50,000 miles on my fit and i run it to redline daily....honda 00 civic si with fully built motor makes power just over 11,000rpm and i shift it at 11,200rpm and it currently has a few thousand miles on the motor....honda motors are well built and well balanced and will take high rpm no problem...

Old 11-26-2008, 05:37 PM
If redlining a stock motor was terribly harmful my y8 would have blown up!

As a matter of practice to clear carbon buildup from the plugs from the short trips I run my vehicle hard through 1st and 2nd at least once in a couple weeks. That way it still gets its exercise, the injectors don't plug, I remember how to drive like that, etc, but the fuel economy isn't severely affected nor is overall engine wear.

Now on the stock fit, it's only beneficial to redline in 1st because the next gear is so dang tall. Every other gear except 1st is good to shift at about 6200 or so otherwise it makes more power after the shift.

I wouldn't redline the thing all the time because engine stress is greatest at the highest rotational speed, but every now and again is safe provided you have a good oil level and don't miss the next gear.

If I had my way with things, I'd change rod bolts and valve springs to allow 7500 rpm use, and bolt up a t3 .42/.48 50 trim on low boost... mmm

Old 11-29-2008, 05:58 AM
However, if you do it daily, well, you can imagine what could happen.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by marshtric
However, if you do it daily, well, you can imagine what could happen.
What exactly? I have had my 1993 Civic for 11 years now and it sees redline every single day on the way to (and home from) work. It will also see the rev limiter at least once a day. In addition to this I have participated in anywhere between 10-30 autocross events per season for the last 10 years where it gets the absolute isht kicked out of it (held on the rev limiter in 1st & 2nd) not to mention the odd track day or school...

Car now has over 220000 km on it with no issues, runs very strong.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:05 PM
HID Addict
Originally Posted by kancerr
is two threads on this necessary? lol ;] redlining is fine. occasionally i will go too far and 'tap' the rev limiter, nearly 20k of driving my fit hard and no issues.
HEH thats what i was thinking. yesterday i went on a long ass trip, ill say between 200-300 miles, half the times was in high revs because the hills [going from D to S] and 20% where i controled the shifting, my parents were SCARRRRED but they were impresed lol they didnt think a 16k car would do this lol they were thinkin AT, not S and ive reved elsewhere of course, just a few houndred before the limitor. if im in the D tho, i rev it all the way up in first two gears, its kinky

Old 11-29-2008, 02:26 PM
I did it in 1st gear & I could get it to 30 before redline & that's the only time I did it

Old 11-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by StewPiddass
What exactly? I have had my 1993 Civic for 11 years now and it sees redline every single day on the way to (and home from) work. It will also see the rev limiter at least once a day. In addition to this I have participated in anywhere between 10-30 autocross events per season for the last 10 years where it gets the absolute isht kicked out of it (held on the rev limiter in 1st & 2nd) not to mention the odd track day or school...

Car now has over 220000 km on it with no issues, runs very strong.
that's exactly why honda is FTW
i don't understand why people are scared to put some revs on their engines

Old 11-29-2008, 03:45 PM
HID Addict
my aprents are scared of it because they think its alot of stress on the engine and that its it such a small car to be revving it. also they dont like it because htey think its consumes WAY more gas when revving

Quick Reply: Redlining Honda Fit?