disable "power steering?"

Old 12-23-2008, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
disable "power steering?"

i just read the remove AC/Powersteering post and i wanted to see if anyone has disabled powersteering, im just curious of how it feels, that's all. So if anyone has tried or has any idea, please tell! thanks

Old 12-23-2008, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
Steering feel is going the be heavy.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
haha if i were you i would want to keep my power steering

Old 12-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Best way to find out is to go to an empty parking lot, get up to about thirty or so and shut the car off (only turn the key to off, not lock) then try to steer. You will very quickly see why only the truly dedicated choose to go without power steering. The gain in horsepower is nothing compared to the gain in upper body strength you will see from trying to drive to work.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Power Steering is for chumps! I driven many cars without power steering. The only thing that would make me consider removing power steering was if I had a momo tuner wheel or something, since it'll be too light, like playing a game.

... I wouldnt remove it on my econohatch though.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
eh lame... didnt bother reading these posts till wayy later and i whipped out my handy screwdriver to the "EPS" fuse...

RESULTS: I stripped a screw...... sigh* poor car.. :/

Old 12-24-2008, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
Best way to find out is to go to an empty parking lot, get up to about thirty or so and shut the car off (only turn the key to off, not lock) then try to steer. You will very quickly see why only the truly dedicated choose to go without power steering. The gain in horsepower is nothing compared to the gain in upper body strength you will see from trying to drive to work.
i drive w/ the engine off all the time. there doesnt seem to be any difference in steering feel. the fit has electric power steering

Old 12-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
you won't notice the difference at speed. But from a stop (like when parallel parking)... big difference.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:05 PM
I haven't actually tried the "turn off the car" thing, I'm not sure how the EPS is powered, ie if you have full power without the engine running. I imagine during pulse and glide driving you wouldn't notice a huge difference because you are moving at speed and not doing lots of twisting and turning. I myself prefer manual steering as it almost always has a much more organic feel than power steering. My Cadillac has manual steering and I love it that way, of course the steering wheel in that car is something like three times the diameter of the Fits but oh well. To the OP, how did you strip a screw taking out a fuse? This sounds like an interesting tale

Old 12-24-2008, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
haha the fuse is held down by 2 screws which can also be removed with a socket (thank god)... it was really tight in there and so the screwdriver stripped it

With the pulse and glide, alot of times when the car is moving, EPS will activate automatically in the 2nd key position. Hmm this gives me an idea... LETS INVENT SOMETHING TO HAVE DIFFERENT STEERING SETTINGS!!!! Low-Power or more steering effort and hi-power... omg im genious except i didnt patent it :/

Old 12-25-2008, 06:14 PM
^^Ohhh now I get it, LOL OWNED Hahahahaha! The dual steering setting thing isn't a bad idea at all. The BMW M cars do that don't they? Or am I thinking of throttle response curves?

Old 12-26-2008, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
okay guys... i got it off!

results: FUKING STIFF AS STEERING WHEEL! but! i liked the direct feeling, if you got close to the understeering point, the wheel would no longer turn (it would then require tons more force) and when i hit a puddle and floored it, it gave much more information as to what i should do and kinda "fine-tuned" the turn for me by itself. i really think someone should come out with an EPS controller

Old 12-26-2008, 03:32 PM
So, did you do this to gain power or for fuel efficiency or what? If you take a scangauge and put one of the displays to gallon per hour and one to load you will notice when idling if you turn the wheel lock to lock there is no increase in either. In my Ridgeline with hydraulic power steering, fuel use and load go up when turning lock to lock. I really don't think disabling electric power steering is going to get you much in increased performance.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
i just want a slightly heavier steering feel, it's a little too light for me since i first started driving on my mom's BMW. But the heaviness also gave me more information on what was going on so now i like that about it too! if you sit at night w/ the headlights on, turn the steering wheel lock to lock as fast as you can, power drops and the lights dim and the steering gets heavier. I dont care if it saves MPG or w.e., it's more about the feeling

Old 12-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Right on.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Banned
Location: Negative Repland (exiled by fragile ego's and "can't handle the truth" babies) LMFAO ;P
Originally Posted by accordguyintake
i just want a slightly heavier steering feel, it's a little too light for me since i first started driving on my mom's BMW. But the heaviness also gave me more information on what was going on so now i like that about it too! if you sit at night w/ the headlights on, turn the steering wheel lock to lock as fast as you can, power drops and the lights dim and the steering gets heavier. I dont care if it saves MPG or w.e., it's more about the feeling
get a smaller diameter steering wheel

Old 12-27-2008, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
yeah i will when i have the money... hahah