Thought about a Voltage Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Thought about a Voltage Stabilizer

Do they work?

Old 01-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by setter11
Do they work?
Yes it works, give it a try. Idles smoother more power across the band.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by 08FitSport
Yes it works, give it a try. Idles smoother more power across the band.

I think the jury is still out on this. There is a thread on this board about voltage stabilizers. BTW, your battery is a voltage stabilizer with a hugely greater ability to stabilize voltage than any aftermarket gimmick, FWIW.

Try a search on the topic.

L8R

Old 03-21-2009, 02:04 AM
sun auto is dyno proven

Old 03-21-2009, 02:43 AM
Originally Posted by enjoito
sun auto is dyno proven
Please read the thread on "voltage stabilizers."

Please point me to "dyno proven" on their site. I could not find it.

Until it is "dyno proven" by an independent tester I would be very, very skeptical. Of course, maybe those electrical engineers in the thread on voltage regulators are just blowing smoke. After all, what could they know about electricity that the ordinary man in the street would not know? ;o)

Please read the thread.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...le-thread.html

Last edited by boojum; 03-21-2009 at 02:48 AM. Reason: addition
Old 03-21-2009, 04:03 AM
was a dyno graph on a evo

Old 03-21-2009, 04:13 AM
5 Year Member
yeah dude, voltage stabilizer is good for 100 rwhp

Old 03-21-2009, 03:40 PM
This debate is pointless because the skeptics are so positive it's snake oil. So, even if someone showed them a Dyno they would say it's fake. The facts are this

1. the computer get signals from sensors that use of the base voltage.
2. unstabilized base voltage will fluctuate between 12 and 14.7 volts.
3. alternators produce A/C current that changed to D/C via rectifier bridge (series of diodes) {not 100% pure D/C} If any one used an oscilloscope to see this D/C voltage will see ripples riding on the top of the voltage constantly change the rms D/C voltage.
4. Facts 1,2 and 3 have influence on the computer ability to give optimal performance.

If you have a perfect alternator (no ripples) in your car and a constant set voltage. The voltage stabilizer would do absolutely nothing.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:59 PM
This debate is pointless because the skeptics are so positive it's snake oil. So, even if someone showed them a Dyno they would say it's fake. The facts are this

1. the computer get signals from sensors that use of the base voltage.
2. unstabilized base voltage will fluctuate between 12 and 14.7 volts.
3. alternators produce A/C current that changed to D/C via rectifier bridge (series of diodes) {not 100% pure D/C} If any one used an oscilloscope to see this D/C voltage will see ripples riding on the top of the voltage constantly change the rms D/C voltage.
4. Facts 1,2 and 3 have influence on the computer ability to give optimal performance.

If you have a perfect alternator (no ripples) in your car and a constant set voltage. The voltage stabilizer would do absolutely nothing.

Please read the thread on this topic where EE's and trained electricians <people who understand electricity> explain this, how it works and why it is of no value. Unless you know more than these folks it might be wise to read the thread, and then tell us where they are wrong if you can demonstrate it is wrong. If you cannot be smarter on the subject on the basis of training and/or life experience you are just guessing. Guessers are a dime a dozen. People who know are of value. Check it out.

BTW, have you ever thought that the engineers at Honda have an inkling of this and have built a computer which can operate on a range of voltages? There is a possibility.

And no, the discussion is not pointless. On the one hand we have people waving advertising claims and on the other we have people with knowledge of electricity and physics who can understand and explain how a voltage stabilizer works, and whether the ones being offered would work, if at all.

Take you pick. I did. I did not pick advertising claims. After all, do you think the vendors would say it does nothing? Or have a dyno test that indicates it does nothing?

Old 03-22-2009, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
i have a voltage stabilizer, everytime i step out of the car and touch the door frame.. i get shocked, but when i remove it.. i don't get shocked lol

Old 03-22-2009, 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by vince
i have a voltage stabilizer, everytime i step out of the car and touch the door frame.. i get shocked, but when i remove it.. i don't get shocked lol
And your point is?

This is synchronicity: Synchronicity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The classic example is that of a dog in its back yard. It pees against the tree in the back yard. At the same moment someone throws a bone over the fence. In the dog's mind there is a connection between his peeing against the tree and the bone coming over the fence. There is no connection.

I am interested on how 12 volts can shock you. How does that happen? It may be a first in recorded history. You can get on TV with this.

In a more serious vein, there is something very wrong with the installation of said voltage stabilizer. I would talk to the installer.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by boojum
Please read the thread on this topic where EE's and trained electricians <people who understand electricity> explain this, how it works and why it is of no value. Unless you know more than these folks it might be wise to read the thread, and then tell us where they are wrong if you can demonstrate it is wrong. If you cannot be smarter on the subject on the basis of training and/or life experience you are just guessing. Guessers are a dime a dozen. People who know are of value. Check it out.

BTW, have you ever thought that the engineers at Honda have an inkling of this and have built a computer which can operate on a range of voltages? There is a possibility.

And no, the discussion is not pointless. On the one hand we have people waving advertising claims and on the other we have people with knowledge of electricity and physics who can understand and explain how a voltage stabilizer works, and whether the ones being offered would work, if at all.

Take you pick. I did. I did not pick advertising claims. After all, do you think the vendors would say it does nothing? Or have a dyno test that indicates it does nothing?

I've worked on the electronic field and I'm not guessing. I know that the basis for any electronic devise to work optimally is to have clean stabile voltage. I also know that every devise has been built to handle voltage flux and noise within tolerance. I also am a tweaker and modifier, I've written many service bulletins for Canon and Minolta copiers. I may not know more than the so called electric experts you mentioned but, I know the engineering side of circuits and why it's there.

Honda, Lexus, Nissan all spend a lot of money on remedying the voltage rise and fall. Nissan even has a zener diode on the O2 sensor yes, I did my research. But, these factory fixes are just enough to make the car within tolerance. They are not perfect they are within tolerance and has room for improvement.

Let me give you an example. In high end audio equipment the first upgrade is making sure you have clean power. You might ask why? An amplifier is an amplifier it works. It's a given less voltage flux produces a better sound even when the major companies spend a lot of dollars on the internal power supply.

As far as advertising claims most people claim better milage, smoother idle iffy on power I've seen a Lexus site show a Dyno of 2 hp gain only to be ridiculed but, to me that's telling me it is doing what they claim. I don't care what any one says but, I feel more power, better mpgs, and smoother idle.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:13 AM
I had one on my EP3 and a Hondata computer (the one that could datalog). It datalogged everything including voltage that the ECU sees. The voltage had less spikes with the voltage stabilizer on than without. All the datalogs were with the car at WOT though, didn't really datalog cruising around town. I can positively say, that the voltage variation with the voltage stabilizer on was less than without. Whether this means anything or not is up the the user/critic.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by boojum
And your point is?

This is synchronicity: Synchronicity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The classic example is that of a dog in its back yard. It pees against the tree in the back yard. At the same moment someone throws a bone over the fence. In the dog's mind there is a connection between his peeing against the tree and the bone coming over the fence. There is no connection.

I am interested on how 12 volts can shock you. How does that happen? It may be a first in recorded history. You can get on TV with this.

In a more serious vein, there is something very wrong with the installation of said voltage stabilizer. I would talk to the installer.
Its not 12 volts its like 6000v and its called static electricity but yah it most likely has nothing to do with stabilizer unless it allows it to build up bigger charge ..
My wifes 04 civic shocks me so much im afraid to touch it...seriously
none of my cars or truck every do it to me though...

Old 09-24-2009, 08:33 AM
I've never looked into voltage stabilizers, but I am an electronics teacher, and what 08FitSport said is correct. It makes perfect sense that stabilizing the input voltage would smooth operation, because all electronic components would now be operating consistently, however, that does not mean there is a HP gain, it just means things will work smooth/more consistent.
What voltage to these things stabilize to? 12V 14.5V?

On ecomodder.com (a fuel efficiency forum) there are some people who remove their alternator to reduce parasitic drag and increase MPG (proven up to 10% mpg increase on some vehicles), but there is one guy who went a step further and is is running without an alternator, but with an 18V battery setup. He noticed an even larger gain in MPG. Now, this is not recommended, because it can damage some electronics over time (he already fried his headlights) but this shows that variations in voltage can indeed have a meaningful effect on the vehicles behavior. As he decreased the input voltage his MPG's also decreased. They do very nice A-B-A testing on there, so I trust this is not a placebo effect.

Last edited by stevet47; 09-24-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by setter11
Do they work?

Nope... it is all one giant scam

(My opinion anyway)

Old 01-21-2010, 01:28 PM
I've worked on the electronic field and I'm not guessing. I know that the basis for any electronic devise to work optimally is to have clean stabile voltage. I also know that every devise has been built to handle voltage flux and noise within tolerance. I also am a tweaker and modifier, I've written many service bulletins for Canon and Minolta copiers. I may not know more than the so called electric experts you mentioned but, I know the engineering side of circuits and why it's there.

Honda, Lexus, Nissan all spend a lot of money on remedying the voltage rise and fall. Nissan even has a zener diode on the O2 sensor yes, I did my research. But, these factory fixes are just enough to make the car within tolerance. They are not perfect they are within tolerance and has room for improvement.

Let me give you an example. In high end audio equipment the first upgrade is making sure you have clean power. You might ask why? An amplifier is an amplifier it works. It's a given less voltage flux produces a better sound even when the major companies spend a lot of dollars on the internal power supply.

As far as advertising claims most people claim better milage, smoother idle iffy on power I've seen a Lexus site show a Dyno of 2 hp gain only to be ridiculed but, to me that's telling me it is doing what they claim. I don't care what any one says but, I feel more power, better mpgs, and smoother idle.
2 hp?

i see u have some idea of what "tolerance" means

2hp is not measurable

back to back dyno runs WITH NO CHANGES will show more than a 2hp fluctuation

ever wonder why scientist ALWAYS do multiple tests?

10 people using the SAME ruler measuring the SAME sample will give you 10 different answers

1+1=2 only in pure math

in reality its more like (1 +/- 0.1) + (1 +/- 0.1) + X= 1.8 to 2.2, +X, +/- 10%, X being an unknown variable ( people will try to reduce X to zero, but that is by definition IMPOSSIBLE)

look up, percent yield, the placebo effect, measuring errors, tolerances, etc

u will laugh at 2hp when u understand

Last edited by FitGod; 01-21-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
voltz =! hp

Old 01-31-2010, 01:59 PM
diffinately work

Old 01-31-2010, 06:51 PM
are you serious? 2 hp not measurable? damn, id better return my lawn mower and chain saw. they are using 1 to 1.5 hp motors. AND THEY ARE HONDA! its a conspiracy! my little chain saw could no way hide a horse in there! he he~

Quick Reply: Thought about a Voltage Stabilizer