external air temperature sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 08:13 AM
external air temperature sensor

Hi, Just wanted to inquire if anyone has information on what I can use to put an outdoor air temperature sensor in my 2009 Honda Fit. Thanks

Old 12-23-2009, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
You can get the one made by Bell Electronics. You can get them at Target or Pepboys. Check their Website. It's pretty accurate when comparing it to other cars equiped with external temp. sensor.

It also matches the 09 Fit's interior as it's color black with a grey face plate.

Here's how it looks: http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/produ...4523347a.shtml.

You can get it cheaper at Target or Pepboys. Got it for around 10 bucks.

Last edited by onemiglandicho; 12-23-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the reply

I appreciate the information you submitted to me but I was looking for a more higher end model.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thb51
I appreciate the information you submitted to me but I was looking for a more higher end model.
Cabela's -- CIPA Auto-Dimming Mirror with Compass and Thermometer

Old 01-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks for this thread. I just bought my 2010 Fit Sport and I am looking for a external temperature gauge for my Fit. How is the Bell Electronics gauge working? Does it have a wire to run outside to get the temp?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
The Bell Electronics works really good for the price. It's pretty accurate. When I compare it to other cars that have a built in outside air temp. gauge, it's about 2 degrees Farenheit off plus or minus, and some other time it's spot on.

I'm not sure on the cause on why it's 2 degrees off, I'm guessing the Bell temp. gauge is so sensitive to changes. Don't expect it to remain "still" as everytime I look, it gives me a different reading thus my observation of 2 degrees plus or minus. But all in all, It gives you a rough idea of the temp.

And yeah, it has a wire for the sensor to mount outside. I think it's about 12 ft. long.

Last edited by onemiglandicho; 01-21-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by onemiglandicho
And yeah, it has a wire for the sensor to mount outside. I think it's about 12 ft. long.
Thanks! How did you mount it? Where did you put it and how/where did you run the wire? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
I mounted the unit (LCD unit/one with the battery) on top of the steering wheel column (just below the instrument cluster, there is a small slanted space to the left of where the trip meter button is at).

I then ran the wire into the space between the upper steering wheel column and the instrument cluster ( If you look at the upper steering column, you'll see a rubber like fabric of some sort at the bottom of the trip button).

I then went at the foot well ( driver side of course), took the plastic cover that covers the underside of the dash so I can feel/run the wires and zip tie it. To remove the said cover, there are 2 tabs that you’ll have to twist so that you can pop the cover off.

Now looking at the driver side door, you'll see where the wiring boot/cover is at that runs wires to the door. Using your sense of touch, you kinda have to feel your way on where this boot/cover is at inside the dash. Just slightly pop the boot/cover off so that you can run the wire to the door jamb.

After routing the wire to the door jamb on the driver side, if you look above the top door hinge, you’ll see that there is a small opening between the front left fender and the engine bay. You can route the wire in that small opening using a extendable antenna, or any sort of stick that is a little flexible yet stiff enough so that you can tape the sensor at the tip and just use the stick to guide the sensor in the said opening.

If you feel like you’ve gone deep enough in the opening, pop the hood and look inside the engine bay for the sensor. It should be right about next to the brake fluid reservoir. Remember, You are not looking for the sensor in the engine bay itself, but between the fender and engine bay.

After you’ve found the sensor, just carefully pull it and just use your own judgement on how you’ll be able to mount the sensor to the lower grill. The way I did it, I just lowered the sensor to the driver side of the lower grill, then went to the front of the car and stuck my hand through the opening then using the included double sided adhesive included with the sensor, I attached the sensor to either the horizontal bottom corner or vertical lower corner of the grill. Remember, you want to be as far as possible to parasitic heat source.

By now I think you’re not getting any of what I said. Unfortunately, I don't have an image hosting website, thus I'm unable to post pics. I know some people here will flame me for doing it the hard way compared to the one who did it the easy way. I did it this way so that the sensor is mounted in front of the car, specifically in the lower bumper grill so that I can get the best possible accurate reading.

If you want to do it the easy way, after you’ve pulled the sensor from the door wire boot/cover, you can just stick the sensor inside the door jamb as what other member in here did. I just think that doing it this way will not give me an accurate reading but, I have no proof of which one gives better reading. I just did it the hard way the first time around so that I wouldn’t have to do it again.
Hope this helps or at best, makes sense to you.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
Hey, You might want to try the Gentex mirror instead of Cipa. I purchased a Cipa mirror last May and it vibrates so horribly on the GE8 windshield that it drives me nuts.

Last edited by runbikerun; 02-16-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Or just get what runbikerun recommended. It's probably easier to install plus it will look OEM.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up More Info than just Temp.

Scangauge it's exspencive compaired to just a thermometer, but has many other great features
gets the info from the ECU= very accurate

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 02-14-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member
Awesome, Perrenpod Fit!