BBP, buy used or repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:14 PM
BBP, buy used or repaint?

Hello everyone!

I do not currently own a Fit, however I will be in the market later this year. In picking features, I have found they killed blackberry pearl! Purple is my absolute fav color... my husband was quite happy with dark purple and black as our wedding colors. I was thrilled when I found it came 'standard' on the sport, especially that it's wasn't a foo foo purple, but a nice, dark sexy purple.

So, now I have to decide to try and find a used (and probably hard to find) BBP or to just get a silver or something and then paint it. Which would be more feasible? Is painting a whole car wildly expensive? Perhaps I can get it black, so the engine area, etc wouldn't need to be painted again, it'll kinda blend in and match.

I wanted to mod the interior accent lighting purple as well (it'll match my pc insides, seriously I have been fantasizing!) so one way or the other I'm having effing dark purple, dammit! Just hope it won't be too hard to get.

Oh, I hope I put this in the right place, sorry if I didn't!

Last edited by wickedpurple; 01-11-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Sadly, I cannot buy sooner due to the way money works out.

I'm am quite serious about having BBP, either on a used fit, or a new one repainted.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
To be honest with you, getting a used Blackberry Pearl would be better than painting a Fit of another color BBP. The reason being is that repainting the car some other color will kill the resale value and you don't have to worry about the paint's quality.

Also, the cost of a paint job is rather expensive a buddy of mine had gotten just an exterior respray (no dents pulled, no paint in door jams and underhood) with metallic paint on their '92 extended cab full-size pick-up and that alone cost them under $1500 if I recall correctly. Granted a Fit is much smaller than a full size pick-up, but its still going to be pricey.

In the question of paint's quality, you get what you pay for basically. The paint may look good a few days out of the both but if its not a quality job it could begin to flake up. This had happened to my friend's truck by the way.

If you keep a close eye or two on ebay, autotrader, or craigslist you should be able to find yourself a BBP. If you cannot find one, maybe consider Blue Sensation Pearl. It is a dark blue that has similar purple hues to BBP in certain light as well as more common than BBP.

I hope this helps and best of luck to you and your husband in finding your BBP!

Last edited by Hootie; 01-11-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 PM
patience

It probably is the rarest color but I'm sure you can find one if you're patient. I'd not heard that they had discontinued BBP? It's news to me and I'd like to say I pay attention to "Blackberry Pearl news" as I own one.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:00 AM
depends why u wanna paint it. r u gonna keep it forever ? if yes then go ahead and do it. if u wanna sell it in the future, i would suggest u not to do so.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:38 PM
Hm, thanks for the opinions.

I do plan on keeping this car forever (and adding my own touches) so I don't care about resale... I love, love, love the utility and it looks much sexier than the element. The factory BBP just made it PERFECT.

It does seem used would be better, but I am much more comfortable buying new and haggling then buying used from far away. Hopefully I can find one that's certified preowned so that is less of an issue, but if the only one I can find was smoked in, eff it... I'll buy new and paint. Smoke messes me up bad.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:24 AM
Bbp

The BBP paint IS nice but it's not worth losing sleep over. It's VERY hard to take care of and shows every flaw. Good luck on your quest. White is nice too!