Problems with my 07 Sport Fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by oldtart
I agree with you 100% , I think K&N are wonderful air filters and in larger engines give you get better mileage and more horse power but in a econo car it gives you more power and consumes more gas which defeat the purpus of diving a small car, if I were to design a car for our Canadian winters it would be small lite have a very large engine be one foot off the ground front wheel drive that would pull you through any snow storm , great fuel milage because your engine would only have to rev low to pull a lite car , lots of heat because larger engines heat quicker ,the engine would last a life time because it would never be revved to the max, thats something that car dealers ,oil company's and car manufacturers don`t want us to have they would all lose profit but I know one day someone somewhere with the expertise and the balls will create this car and blow our socks off .
I haven't experienced cold weather like you guys have but I have driven on ice coated roads numerous times in all kinds of vehicles and some fairly deep snow a few times over the years .. What you describe as ideal makes me think of a VW Diesel Truck I owned in the 80s except for the engine size and it wasn't a foot off of the ground but I had a Rancho Suspension lift kit on it for awhile.. We don't get the same diesel fuel in the winter as they do up north so starting was sometimes a problem but only once when it was a freaky 17 below 0 F I wasn't able to get one of my other VW diesels to start... It was 90 degrees here today and my AC is on inside the house so you can imagine how hot it is going to be in 2 months.. It is funny but down here we get better fuel mileage in the winter than in the summer and I know that it is the other way around up where you are.. I have a supercharger and very free flowing exhaust that pretty much keeps the check engine light all of the time.. We had some single digit temperatures this winter and I drove for days with the light off I suppose because of the density of the air.. It puzzles me because I have a reflashed ECU and larger fuel injectors but the light was off... I can see why extra fuel would needed to correct for the increased density of very cold air but it doesn't seem to me that it should increase fuel consumption as it does.. It is confusing to me but I have read enough post by people that drive in those hard winters up there so I know it does.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by oldtart
If they put in reg oil thats not recommended that would do it.
YES, CJ already mentioned that. I wanted to know what it was specifically if he remembered.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:41 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I haven't experienced cold weather like you guys have but I have driven on ice coated roads numerous times in all kinds of vehicles and some fairly deep snow a few times over the years .. What you describe as ideal makes me think of a VW Diesel Truck I owned in the 80s except for the engine size and it wasn't a foot off of the ground but I had a Rancho Suspension lift kit on it for awhile.. We don't get the same diesel fuel in the winter as they do up north so starting was sometimes a problem but only once when it was a freaky 17 below 0 F I wasn't able to get one of my other VW diesels to start... It was 90 degrees here today and my AC is on inside the house so you can imagine how hot it is going to be in 2 months.. It is funny but down here we get better fuel mileage in the winter than in the summer and I know that it is the other way around up where you are.. I have a supercharger and very free flowing exhaust that pretty much keeps the check engine light all of the time.. We had some single digit temperatures this winter and I drove for days with the light off I suppose because of the density of the air.. It puzzles me because I have a reflashed ECU and larger fuel injectors but the light was off... I can see why extra fuel would needed to correct for the increased density of very cold air but it doesn't seem to me that it should increase fuel consumption as it does.. It is confusing to me but I have read enough post by people that drive in those hard winters up there so I know it does.
When your engine is warmed it will vaporize gas which burns more quickly( more mpgs) if its cold it won`t vaporize (less mpgs) if you have high humidity (water in air) this is sucked into the engine and you car is forced to burn water( less mpgs). It the cooler days you have less humidity and thus your car burns fuel better, I think you have a cooling system problem also I would flush the rad or replace it.