Disabling ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you jadr09fit, someone who knows how to use handbrake in snow. But anyhow hehe... ABS is bad in snow IMO.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator
I can handbrake in the snow like a boss, you dont even know, I will have the car sideways like you wouldn't believe. That being said I have NEVER used the hand brake in just daily driving in some sort of accident avoidance or to maneuver the car around a turn. In the three years I have owned the Fit other then the times I am fucking around and trying to get the ABS to turn on I have only had it activate 2 maybe 3 times.

I do love your examples of handbrake use though, rally and drift. If those are your reasons why you should use a handbrake on the street maybe you should take a look at your driving style and maybe try slowing down?

To help with your question, to properly disable the ABS your going to need all the necessary parts from a Fit that doesn't come with ABS.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by codenamezero
in certain situation, abs doesn't allow you to stop sooner... .
i didn't know ABS was made to help you stop sooner. i thought it was made to prevent your wheels from locking up so you can still have control of the vehicle under hard braking. anyways, i have no idea on how to remove it from a fit but here's the info for removing it on your integra. 94-97' ABS Removal Guide - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Old 09-28-2011, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
You just pull the connector from the ABS pump. It disables the ABS, VSA, EBD and traction co trol. I've bee trying to figure out how to disable the traction control and VSA without TPMS sensors since I don't want to pay $300-400 to have them put on a set of snow tires I already have.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:23 PM
ABS doesn't activate when you pull the handbrake. The handbrake (e-brake) locks the rear wheels and is connected separately by wire. If you didn't know this I don't think you should be driving.

Anybody thinking of disabling safety systems in their car should be prepared to suffer the consequences.

At least there will be new "Stupid Stuff on Wheels" content.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by EpilepticFit
ABS doesn't activate when you pull the handbrake. The handbrake (e-brake) locks the rear wheels and is connected separately by wire. If you didn't know this I don't think you should be driving.

Anybody thinking of disabling safety systems in their car should be prepared to suffer the consequences.

At least there will be new "Stupid Stuff on Wheels" content.

ABS is nothing more than a band-aid for a sh!tty driver. A human can out brake ABS. Learn how to drive.

Anybody thinking of relying solely on safety systems to control and drive their car for them should be prepared to suffer the consequences.

At least there will be new "Stupid People behind the Wheel" content.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Hmm.. well I just have a sweet little ABS button that I can shut it on and off. +1 for the Nav model!

Old 09-29-2011, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wes2theG
Hmm.. well I just have a sweet little ABS button that I can shut it on and off. +1 for the Nav model!
As far as I know that button is for the traction control and VSA. It doesn't do anything to the ABS. I have the same button on my 2011 base 5mt.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by x_25
As far as I know that button is for the traction control and VSA. It doesn't do anything to the ABS. I have the same button on my 2011 base 5mt.
Damn.. lied to at the dealership. -1 for thinking it was the easy way.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Abs

"When a tire rolls without slipping, the friction between tire and road is static friction. When you lock the wheels and start to skid, the friction is kinetic friction. Since "kinetic friction provides less force, when skidding the tires it takes you longer to stop." This is a quote from a physics forum, and years of aggressive driving with and without ABS are proof enough for me, IN MY OWN HUMBLE OPINION.I know i am going to get a lot of pun intended comments from this ,but disabling the ABS for street driving is a big mistake.Early ABS was not very effective (1990's) but today,it is.Furthermore I do not think Honda would do something so stupid as to provide a ABS on off switch. VSA and Traction control, yes, but not ABS, it could even lead to legal repercussions for them.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation

Scary posts here guys... and we're sharing the same public roads...

Old 09-29-2011, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
Scary posts here guys... and we're sharing the same public roads...
My last car was a 97 civic, no ABS, VSA, traction control or anything like that. Not having these systems is not as big a deal as people like to make. These are designed to correct for when something has gone wrong, which shouldn't be a common occurance if you drive reasonably for conditions and the vehicle you own. If you stay safe you should never need any of these unless someone else does something stupid.

Now, im not saying these systems shouldn't be there either, they can be great when executed properly (jury is still out on that for the traction and vsa on the fit, I will find out once winter hits).

My grandfather(who drove race cars and trucks for 30 years as a profesional) disabled the traction and stability control on his rav-4 because it was so agressive the car would just sit in a few inches of snow and refuse to move. When its done right it is amazing though.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Appreciate the come back X 25. You should read the rest of the posts here then let me know your thoughts. Its not the ABS that scares me. Sharing the road with someone who doesn't know the difference between an E-brake and ABS brakes. Then talking about disabling them; someone who thinks there's a button on the navi disables ABS and on an on...

Stick to the basics guys. Learn to handle your cars first before learning tricks... First mod should be between the ears. No mods will teach you how to take a curve properly, how to do emergency maneuvers or defensive driving... First mod should be honing your reaction time, what to look out for, where to look, etc, what to do when...

Sorry, I feel better now.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
First, ABS & automatic brake repartition system are good for most of situation. Especially when you bring kid to school or kiddengarden when your mind is not totally on the road and when something happen the reflex of average driver is to step on the brake. In that situation driving assistance are good. Or in some area receiving snow or icy rain when normally is not the case, and a majority of driver have limited experience with that type of weather.
When the ABS and repartition starting to be crap are when you want to drive much more on the edge (wet track, rallying etc) in that case all of your sense are sharpened and stick on the road and car behavior, in that case the driving assistances for a fit or civic (i mean average car, not like BMW M3) are over past or during severe winter condition like here in Quebec.
I do TSD rally with my fit 2010 and i have tried to disable the ABS for my first event without success, steering wheel lock every time i try. I made the rally with the ABS and brake repartition (what a crap) every time i try to place the car in a drift to negotiate a turn the system fighting against me. Many people think that the technic to place a car in drift is to use the hand brake … false. The most used technic is named left foot braking and the hand brake can be used during an Oh shit situation. During a 250kms event I use it 2 times only. For my second event it is mandatory to disable those system. I cal a friend in Honda R&D in Ohio and he tell me to try to unplug the rear sensor not the front one. I do it and it works and the car react very well now. I made some test and the brake distance on hard ice and also in deep snow are much more shorter at 80 kms the car stop on half distance in both condition but I little bit more unstable. I have studded tires on the FIT and the best way to take all the advantage of the stud on the ice are to disable the ABS but I don`t recommend to disable the ABS in daily driving and also for people that doesn`t have the skills in that particular way the drive the car (rally).
That is the DIY to disable ABS for Honda FIT 2010 without traction control
1-Lift horizontal portion of both rear seat
2-In the middle where the seat belt buckle attached to car body, fold up the carpet
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/albu...pictureid=5784
3-Locate the little white connector passenger side
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/albu...pictureid=5785
4-Unplug the white connector passenger side
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/albu...pictureid=5786

Last edited by finito; 02-16-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by finito
I cal a friend in Honda R&D in Ohio and he tell me to try to unplug the rear sensor not the front one.

That is the DIY to disable ABS for Honda FIT 2010 without traction control
1-Lift horizontal portion of both rear seat
2-In the middle where the seat belt buckle attached to car body, fold up the carpet

3-Locate the little white connector passenger side

4-Unplug the white connector passenger side
First time I think I've ever seen a post has been brought back from the dead with truly useful commentary. Above I have highlighted the useful parts from the walloftext.jpg.

finito, your pics don't work, but I wish they did

Only took a year of arguing about the safety of disabling ABS

Old 02-15-2012, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
First time I think I've ever seen a post has been brought back from the dead with truly useful commentary. Above I have highlighted the useful parts from the walloftext.jpg.

LOL I gave up on the thread. Going to sell the Fit perhaps next year or trade it in for a hybrid. Motor is getting misfire at idle (most likely due to the common coil issue) and is consuming close to 10L/100km (more than my modified 1.8L Integra running S300). Don't feel like sinking 250$ to get new coil pack... might try spraying some contact cleaning compound that I read from another thread here.

finito, nice info, and yea if you could fix your pics that would be great.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member

Images are the first three in this album Unofficial Honda FIT Forums - finito's Album: Rally Fit 2010 - Picture

Old 02-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jamy
Aw, thanks man, i'm a ReRe for not figuring that out.

If all is true it's good to know that's all I have to do to disable ABS... I also have 2010 without traction control.

Don't worry, i'll only disable it on a closed course.

Last edited by Wanderer.; 02-15-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Aw, thanks man, i'm a ReRe for not figuring that out.

If all is true it's good to know that's all I have to do to disable ABS... I also have 2010 without traction control.

Don't worry, i'll only disable it on a closed course.
do what ever you're comfortable with. I'm debating on putting toggle switches for the ABS and Power steering for when I really want to drive the car.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry for the picture, i change it for an hyperlink to my album. I don't know what happen with the picture i try it many times without success.
I'm happy to know that my post are appreciate. Disabling switch for ABS is my second step, it will be easy to do, i will post a DIY when it's done. Disabling EPS it might be a littel bit harder, because the rack and pinion on the FIT are electrical no oil pressure. It is an electrical motor making move the rack gear. When the power is off the electrical motor wont move, no steering at all. The only thing we can do a remap of the EPS computer to change the feedback in the steering wheel. A OEM mapping exist but it more for daily lazy driving, it take the speed of the car, the RPM and other input and adapt the speed/torque of the electrical motor resulting of a resistance in the steering wheel. I have find a good link to explain that. Electric Power Steering
If somebody know if a mapping exist for the electrical power steering let me know i will be interested.

Last edited by finito; 02-16-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Disabling ABS?