Fan doesn't run on setting 1, 2, and 3.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Fan doesn't run on setting 1, 2, and 3.

Hi all-

I have a 2011 model. My fan which pushes hot or cold air in the interior of the car works only on the 4th (full blast) setting. Wondering how best to approach this and if others have had an issue like this.

I was told by the mechanic where I did the oil change was first to do a diagnostic ($100) to see if the fan needs to be replaced or the regulator. The fan does work but only at highest setting.

Appreciate your advice. If you guys live in the San Francisco greater bay area and know of a mechanic that you trust and is reasonable for fits, that would help as well.

Thanks, KP

Old 04-02-2014, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
There are a few other threads about it (including a link to a service bulletin), but in short, the regulator is a resistor that got fried because the blower drew too much power. In other words, BOTH need replacing.

If you still have your warranty, it'll cover it. If you don't, some dealers might "goodwill" it (cover it like the warranty). But its at the discretion of the dealer and Honda USA hq (if the dealer is willing, they have to call Honda USA hq).

Old 04-04-2014, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers
There are a few other threads about it (including a link to a service bulletin), but in short, the regulator is a resistor that got fried because the blower drew too much power. In other words, BOTH need replacing.

If you still have your warranty, it'll cover it. If you don't, some dealers might "goodwill" it (cover it like the warranty). But its at the discretion of the dealer and Honda USA hq (if the dealer is willing, they have to call Honda USA hq).
Thanks Goobers. I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers

Originally Posted by kaashparinda
Thanks Goobers. I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.
So I called them. They said that it would cost $135 for a diagnosis, and if its out of warranty (which I am sure mine is, bought in June 2011) then they'll fix it, and it will cost be whatever. No goodwill claim, no nothing. So I am going to find a non-dealer repair chap who won't charge me an arm and a leg. I live in the South Bay Area, i..e. south of San Francisco. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by kaashparinda
So I called them. They said that it would cost $135 for a diagnosis, and if its out of warranty (which I am sure mine is, bought in June 2011) then they'll fix it, and it will cost be whatever. No goodwill claim, no nothing. So I am going to find a non-dealer repair chap who won't charge me an arm and a leg. I live in the South Bay Area, i..e. south of San Francisco. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
tell them you don't want any diagnosis. Just order parts

and have them replace it. Or you can just order them online for a lot cheaper and bring the parts in to get replaced. I use majestic Honda for parts.

blower motor.
Honda Automotive Parts+---

resistor
Honda Automotive Parts+---