General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fuel injection class action... interest?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 12:34 PM
Fuel injection class action... interest?

Hi folks,
I just paid my $1,700 fuel injection repair bill. I asked the service manager how many of these repairs they had done. He said that there had been some repairs on Fits as well as on Pilots.
This is a small dealer in a small town. If they have done a handful of these, how many does that add up to nation-wide ? I am giving some thought to a defective product class action lawsuit. If you have needed this repair, in warranty or out of warranty, is this something you might be interested in. Before speaking with a lawyer, it would be worthwhile having an idea of how widespread this problem is. Also, if anyone is aware of someone with a Honda Pilot with a similar problem, it would be interesting to know what sort of response they have gotten from Honda when looking for some sort of compensation/attempt to make things right.
Thanks,
Nick T

Old 05-23-2019, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
how do I sign up?

Old 05-24-2019, 06:12 AM
Well, the more people that are on board with this, the better the chance of getting a law firm to take a look at it.
Doesn't look too go so far-

Old 05-24-2019, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
What was your problem?

Old 05-26-2019, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
Class action suits don't get you anything. I've had several "awards" from them, most of which have consisted of checks for trivial amounts -- the smallest one (which I saved somewhere) was for nine cents. Ya -- they sent me a check for $0.09.

The law firm that files the suit is the only one who makes enough money for it to be worth bothering with -- you're not going to get back the $1700 you paid for the repair. Or at least that's my experience -- YMMV, as it does with Fits!

Urb

Old 05-26-2019, 08:32 AM
The money is just 1 part of it.
The other part is sending Honda a message that there is dissatisfaction among their customers which they ought to be paying attention to.

Yes, it might not do me a lot of good... but if it encourages Honda to change their behavior and be more attentive to their product defects, their customers and their reputation, then I think it is worth the effort.

Without a little pressure, why would they bother?

Nick t

Old 05-26-2019, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
Hey, having just bought a new Fit, I'm all for holding their feet to the fire -- even if it just gets you a check for 9 cents!

Urb

Old 05-31-2019, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Talking

Most car maker customer service reps nowadays don't care about customers because:
1)the customer care reps are random people who are willing to do any work at any place (hired through the agency, main requirement to use deodorant, mouthwash and fresh pressed clothing)
2) most design engineers are only keyboard experts (well, solidworks experts); they have no field experience (in forensic engineering and car repair)
3) most customers are leasing the cars for first three years when there is minimum problems and minimal responsibility (issue with high end German cars);
4) some customers are having poor credit history so they buying anything that they got approved for (I saw a middle aged foreign-born lady with minimal driving experience left a dealership in full size SUV she was barely capable to get in, not to mention handling it in extreme situation)
I am not discussing dealership service departments because I have mixed experiences (and I do most repairs myself); when the car needs engine or transmission I am changing the car, sorry. (I have only one car which I am using to get to work on daily bases; down time is not acceptable).
This is why most car makers want to push unfinished disposable models to the market; they don't care about their reputation anymore.
Class action suit will succeed only if it will be related to safety issue (brake failure, fire , poisoning etc.) Best way to act is to boycott the product which is not really possible due to items 3 and 4

Last edited by doctor J; 05-31-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:59 PM
My daughter has the same problem with her 2016 Fit. We're going to trade the car.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:58 AM
I’m in!!!

I just paid $1,700 to repair the fuel injectors in my 3015 Honda Fit as well. Where do I sign up for the class action? Honda should not get away with this!!!!

Old 08-04-2019, 09:24 AM
join Me

I have started a Facebook group in hopes of getting people to join and share their stories ab their fuel injector issues to begin the class action lawsuit process. Search on Facebook for: Honda Fit Class Action Lawsuit Interest Group! We cannot let Honda get away with this!!!!!

Old 08-05-2019, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
So far I haven't had a problem with my Fuel Injectors.
But I'm disappointed to hear about this problem, and now it's a perpetual worry.

And it is too bad.
Small, hatchback.
I liked my 2010 Fit, and bought another because of how much I liked my 2010. I now have a 2016.

I think compared to a lot of other entry level options, I paid a premium because the Fit is a Honda. Which I'm OK with doing, but you do so expecting Honda is providing a better product, not a product with reportedly this type of problem.
Even though I have yet to have a problem, I'm upset that it's something I have to be aware of, and worry about.

IMO fuel injection is not a new technology. There is no excuse for a manufacturer to install or use a fuel injection system that seems to have an operational flaw in it's design.
From what I've read, mostly in this forum itself, it's not a matter of IF this is going to happen, only when.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
IMO fuel injection is not a new technology. There is no excuse for a manufacturer to install or use a fuel injection system that seems to have an operational flaw in it's design.
But direct injection is fairly new! Most engines with new direct injection systems have problems, but I certainly agree they shouldn't be selling products with flawed fuel delivery systems.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:20 PM
Add me to the list... Bought my 2015 fit used from a Honda dealership last year (2018) with only 20K miles on it. Just wanted something cheap and reliable for short trips within the city, up to 25K miles now. Last night I started up the car and got all sorts of dashboard lights - took it into the dealership this morning and was told I need to replace all fuel injectors and joint pipe, update system software and replace valve cover gasket/adjust engine valves for $2K+ otherwise my car is not safe to drive due to cylinder misfiring. Guessing this will be my first and last Honda. Powertrain warranty still valid but not covered.

Oh I'm also having the weird VTC actuator start up noise.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
I'm skeptical about the value of a class action suit.
But if enough people were involved it would at least communicate to Honda that owners are A: Not happy about this. AND B: Paying attention and aware of the problem.

What I would like to see is a recall for all those affected and/or at least an extension of the warranty covering this issue specifically.
I really like my Fit and haven't yet had a problem. But it's disappointing to me that I have to live with the reality that this problem could arise at nearly any time. And now past warranty it could result in a huge repair bill.

Old 10-04-2019, 05:03 PM
Sold!

Out of disgust with Honda for not making right a defect, my fit was sold the other day.

Good luck you guys!

Old 10-04-2019, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
I’m no lawyer (..obviously) but wouldn’t it be better to sue in small claims court? Class action takes years, they have to prove consistent pattern, you only get a fraction of your money back and in order to settle you agree to give up further claim. Small claims, you claim whatever loss has been incurred and the judgement is expedited ... if Honda doesn’t show up they have to pay, so presumably for small amount it’s cheaper to offer you partial payment (corporate lawyers are costly ...). Am I missing something? Feels like one of these two options is tilted in favor of wealthy corporations

Old 12-20-2019, 08:20 PM
yea and on the motors too where cylinder3 spark plug comes loose

Old 02-26-2020, 02:07 PM
Fuel injector lawsuit

Yes, I'd be interested. I just replaced my fuel injectors at 37,000 miles. Honda did replace the fuel injectors at no charge, but I had to pay for the valve cleaning for carbon build up caused by this product of pocket