General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Insight driver seeking L15A info.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 09:14 PM
Insight driver seeking L15A info.....

Hi All.

I have a 1st gen insight which I really like, but I'm tired of the (non functioning) battery and hybrid system. I've been looking at alternatives for a bit and the obligatory K swap has crossed my mind a lot, but it remains quite expensive still, plus it requires a bit more work to install than I want to do.

This is my daily driver, and as such I want to retain some kind of fuel efficiency. I know myself and if I went K, I'd go the full send K24A2 most likely and burn through tires almost as fast as gallons of gas!

Which brings me to the L15. You guys probably already know, but LHT performance does an L swap into the Insight and dang if it doesn't just fit right in there! . So I'm kinda leaning that way just for the ease of install, plus the fact that an L15 weighs about the same as the 3 cylinder plus electric motor that will come out. It won't screw up the weight balance of the car like the K will. I'm all about backroad driving, not drag racing.

So I guess my question is, being new to the L platform, what is the best motor to be looking for to swap into my Insight? The L15A2 seems to be what people are talking about, but why? Is that the highest HP? Best VTEC? What makes that motor shine?

Also which ECU should I be looking for? Are any better than the others? Can any of them be tuned or would I be better off going standalone?

Also does any of this change if I want to go turbo? I happen to have a small turbo that would be right at home on an L15. I would be going crazy with boost. Just something to enhance the midrange torque for more fun.

So if it was your ride, which motor, trans, and ECU combo would you go for? Also with the idea that it might get turbo'd?

Thanks!

Old 06-18-2019, 09:18 PM
Another question, I see lots of mention about the 07-08 fit. What is different about those years that would make them more desirable?

Old 06-19-2019, 12:06 AM

I want this but 700 pounds lighter!

Old 06-19-2019, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
The 07-08 has (as far as I know, may be talking out of my ass) a more traditional exhaust header, easier to turbo. The GE's (2009-2013) has an integrated header, harder to turbo.

If you want to save a bit of coin look into buying a totaled car off of Copart.com. It's a really easy way to get a hold of everything needed to run in one package for way less than should be possible. Most auctions end around 500-1000 for the car.

The GD and GE engines are strong as hell. Way over-engineered. My only gripe is at highway speeds the motor is buzzy with short gearing. In my manual GE I'm at 3500-3700 around 70-75. Swapping the 6 speed out from the CRZ doesn't help, the final drive is the same for 6th gear in it as it is for 5th in the GE. I still get 33-35 MPG average on my mostly highway commute. I know the auto is supposed to let the engine lay down a bit more but I've never driven an auto Fit so I can't say.

If you do decide to go the route of the GE let me know, I'll send the service manual your way to help decipher engine looms and plumbing.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Red 05
The 07-08 has (as far as I know, may be talking out of my ass) a more traditional exhaust header, easier to turbo. The GE's (2009-2013) has an integrated header, harder to turbo.

If you want to save a bit of coin look into buying a totaled car off of Copart.com. It's a really easy way to get a hold of everything needed to run in one package for way less than should be possible. Most auctions end around 500-1000 for the car.

The GD and GE engines are strong as hell. Way over-engineered. My only gripe is at highway speeds the motor is buzzy with short gearing. In my manual GE I'm at 3500-3700 around 70-75. Swapping the 6 speed out from the CRZ doesn't help, the final drive is the same for 6th gear in it as it is for 5th in the GE. I still get 33-35 MPG average on my mostly highway commute. I know the auto is supposed to let the engine lay down a bit more but I've never driven an auto Fit so I can't say.

If you do decide to go the route of the GE let me know, I'll send the service manual your way to help decipher engine looms and plumbing.
Awesome! Thanks!

Yeah buying a wreck from copart would be the way I would go. I've bought from there before.

For your transmission, we might have a solution in the insight. Most insight owners want shorter gearing after the battery pack dies. A couple of members have swapped fit gearsets into the insight case. Works well and gives us a much better gearset for the whopping 45hp ECA1. Without the electric assist the insight is a turd to drive. It still gets great mileage once up to speed, but getting there is tough.

https://www.insightcentral.net/forum...sion-swap.html Lots of info about what gearsets swap over.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
I'd go for the older (gd). Less power out of the box obviously. But cheaper, much easier to work on, lighter, and the only one you will be able to turbo at all easily. Sticking it into an insight, I think that will make that task way easier.