General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

How do you feel with the cancellation of making Honda Fits?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 03:12 AM
How do you feel with the cancellation of making Honda Fits?

As the last of the 2020 honda fit .. Every honda dealership sold out. Sad to see the fits go. I could only find a new one used.. only 15,000 miles. I looked & looked for the paddle shifters of a sport. I could only find here the 2018. But very surprised they sold out so fast but didn't want to see them go. 😕

2007 honda fit sport

2018 honda fit sport

Old 08-31-2021, 04:55 AM
Originally Posted by Sherry Ketchie
As the last of the 2020 honda fit .. Every honda dealership sold out. Sad to see the fits go. I could only find a new one used.. only 15,000 miles. I looked & looked for the paddle shifters of a sport. I could only find here the 2018. But very surprised they sold out so fast but didn't want to see them go. 😕

2007 honda fit sport

2018 honda fit sport
been sad about it but the new gen looks funky I have the 2017 ex 6mr love it I’m about to break 100k soon

Old 08-31-2021, 05:21 AM
No. Just sad they didn't make fit type r spin off like the civic type R and at cheaper price.

Old 08-31-2021, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Meh. I'm just surprised that with what I thought was a high level of popularity... that they are done making them. Is this another casualty of COVID?

Old 08-31-2021, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
Sales of 40 - 60K /year over the last decade in the US means that it was anything but popular, especially considering that the Honda Civic sold almost 200 - 400K /year over that same period. Nothing to do with COVID. It's just a small car in an era when Americans increasingly wanted big cars, like big SUVs. The Civic on the other hand has been able to hold it's own so far against the big car onslaught but it's better built than the Fit, and not made in Mexico.

Old 09-03-2021, 02:05 PM
CRv is selling well. When the numbers are down; its over.... doesnt mean the car isn't great; just the complexity of a market...

Old 09-07-2021, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by RD36
No. Just sad they didn't make fit type r spin off like the civic type R and at cheaper price.
All they would have to do is throw on the existing HPD suspension for the Fit, and drop in a stock 1.5 turbo from the Civic, and it's done. Ah, if only....

Old 09-07-2021, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=CajunLanMan;1463431]All they would have to do is throw on the existing HPD suspension for the Fit, and drop in a stock 1.5 turbo from the Civic, and it's done. Ah, if only....[/QUOTE

nice I was going to do the k24 that works but you have no gages the best will be the 2.0 accord 6 mt that will give a type r the run for the his money with out spending 50k

Old 09-08-2021, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by CajunLanMan
All they would have to do is throw on the existing HPD suspension for the Fit, and drop in a stock 1.5 turbo from the Civic, and it's done. Ah, if only....
Vtec academy and Axion are on the case. Oh, wait they said it will be done in a month it's been 4 month now lol.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:47 PM
Honda continues on poor judgement!

Honda is brilliant when it comes to engineering and to a slightly lesser degree, it’s styling. Honda definitely falls short in the projection of viable marketing opportunities. Case in point; the Honda Element….a fantastic automobile in its own right…and too soon after introduction, cancelled due to slumping sales….as if some imaginative marketing and design tweets wouldn’t have remedied the situation. Did they try? Fast forward to the Honda Fit. Oh!…slumping sales they say, so they cancel all future marketing of the Fit to the US. The Fit, another fabulous little vehicle meets its demise in the US only because it didn’t “fit” Honda’s projected sales figures. Maybe it’s not the consumer that’s the problem, maybe it’s the manufacturer’s trigger happy reputation of killing a great idea before introducing cleaver design and marketing ideas to save a great product. Last but not least in my rant is the 1st gen. Ridgeline. What were they thinking with that ugly slanted cargo bed?

Old 09-10-2021, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by woof
Sales of 40 - 60K /year over the last decade in the US means that it was anything but popular, especially considering that the Honda Civic sold almost 200 - 400K /year over that same period. Nothing to do with COVID. It's just a small car in an era when Americans increasingly wanted big cars, like big SUVs. The Civic on the other hand has been able to hold it's own so far against the big car onslaught but it's better built than the Fit, and not made in Mexico.
Americans want the bigger cars, quite ride, power and refinement. The FIT just lack that extra polish. Give it a turbo, plush ride and sound insulation it will be a hit.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:04 AM
Americans want the bigger cars, quite ride, power and refinement. The FIT just lack that extra polish. Give it a turbo, plush ride and sound insulation it will be a hit.
About big SUVs. It’s not that America wants bigger SUVs, it’s more about manufacturers using the same platform (or chassis) for multiple product. This is purely a cost saving measure. A smart business move yes, and Americans are gullible enough to go along with the already worn out “bigger is better” clitche . Americans are being pushed into this market ONLY because it’s more profitable for the manufacturers.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Americans want the bigger cars, quite ride, power and refinement..
Totally agree.

. Give it a turbo, plush ride and sound insulation it will be a hit.
Totally disagree. Small cars are dead. Putting makeup on a corpse won't bring it back to life.

Originally Posted by Pomcheszco
About big SUVs. It’s not that America wants bigger SUVs, it’s more about manufacturers using the same platform (or chassis) for multiple product. This is purely a cost saving measure. A smart business move yes, and Americans are gullible enough to go along with the already worn out “bigger is better” clitche . Americans are being pushed into this market ONLY because it’s more profitable for the manufacturers.
Totally disagree. You're blaming the car makers but it's the American public who want big SUVs. The car makers simply satisfy that demand. If somewhere down the road the American public decides for whatever reason that they want small cars again then the manufacturers will respond and start putting small cars in the dealerships again.

I should mention that it's the extremely low interest rates which have made expensive SUVs very very affordable. If interest rates go up - as I suspect is about to happen because of the rising inflation - then small less expensive cars might become desirable again.

Last edited by woof; 09-13-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
There is a "new" market for small SUV and Trucks. Honda HRV Vs 2022 Toyota Corolla Cross as example. Lots of people like that they ride higher, can see better, etc. The HRV is not very powerful. The Cross is better at 169 HP, but it's no rocket ship. Same w/ small trucks from Ford (Maverick) and Hyundai. I love my Fit but if I had to go with a small SUV or truck, I'd rather have one of the above. Cost, MPG, etc.

Old 09-17-2021, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
I believe the HRV weighs about 500 lb more than the Fit. Combine that with its weak engine and as things stand the HRV is never going to become a very popular car - at least not in North America.

Old 01-29-2023, 08:20 PM
With the current economic situation (inflation, unemployment etc.) affecting the global economy, I can see small cars becoming popular again.

Old 01-30-2023, 08:07 AM
The fit is likely owned/shopped by someone who is willing to put up with a lot of negatives to save fuel and needs the room. We have suv's and a van, and just had a dodge charger as a rental. Jumping back into the fit really is not a pleasant experience. The ride, rattles, and loud noises really make it hard to want.

But, it's a smart buy for anyone wanting to save money who has an active life style.

Old 01-30-2023, 08:48 AM
First thought is about the topic. Honda didn't stop making Fits, only selling it in North America and Australia. New GR/GS Fits (Jazzes) are sold in Europe and many countries in Asia. Especially regarding North America it is sad, but it's a business decision based on Honda's vision about markets.

Regarding the user expectations, traditionally it has been rather obvious, that North American preference is on large cars and isolate driving experience, whereas in Honda's home markets and many areas in Europe small dimensions, low fuel consumption and direct feedback from car's behaviour has been the choice of big part of the customers. I prefer my GK Jazz (Fit) over bigger cars because of compact size, nimble and responsive manoeuvrability and pretty good performance.

Old 01-30-2023, 08:20 PM
I am not a "typical" American (fortunately ). This past December I bought a '19 Fit EX to replace the '09 Fit Sport that I bought in October '08. I did look at some other contenders from Honda and Subaru but felt most comfortable in the Fit (lucky that I happened to come across it at my Honda dealer, literally just after having test drives in a new Civic R and Civic Sport hatchback. Still getting used to the CVT as for the past 40 years or so I have always had a manual (stick) vehicle, all Hondas ('79 Accord LX hatchback, '91 Civic DX hatchback, '01 CR-V, and the aforementioned '09 Fit Sport). I first learned to drive a stick in my father's '75 Civic hatchback in 1976.

Old 01-31-2023, 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott
I am not a "typical" American (fortunately ). This past December I bought a '19 Fit EX to replace the '09 Fit Sport that I bought in October '08. I did look at some other contenders from Honda and Subaru but felt most comfortable in the Fit (lucky that I happened to come across it at my Honda dealer, literally just after having test drives in a new Civic R and Civic Sport hatchback. Still getting used to the CVT as for the past 40 years or so I have always had a manual (stick) vehicle, all Hondas ('79 Accord LX hatchback, '91 Civic DX hatchback, '01 CR-V, and the aforementioned '09 Fit Sport). I first learned to drive a stick in my father's '75 Civic hatchback in 1976.
I hope you don't mind me asking, because you mentioned you are still getting used to the CVT, why didn't you buy a manual Fit this time?

Quick Reply: How do you feel with the cancellation of making Honda Fits?