General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Electric Shocks Exiting Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
The easiest way to prevent the static electricity shock is to hold on to something metal (the door frame works great) while you slide across the seat and exit the car. The static electricity discharges into the metal sparing you the shock.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Took a long trip to Arizona and my son was getting shocked inside the the car! Has anyone tried one of those straps that drag on the ground? Any idea where I could get one and what it should be attatched to? Today was especially nasty in dry shock land.......

Old 01-25-2007, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
Exactly! After you open the door, but before you swing your legs out, grab a metal part of the door, or door frame, and continue to hold on to it while you exit the vehicle. Once you are standing, let go, you won't get a shock. We get this all winter here in Minnesota, in both our cars.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Exclamation I get the same shock every thime!!!

This could be a REAL problem if it occures while your at the gas station pumping gas. Spark and BOOM!

Old 11-06-2007, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member

get a static reducer! mine works great! no more shock when entering or exiting the car. my radio gets better reception, my car doesn't get dusty as quick, and supposedly won't rust due to LESS STATIC

Old 11-06-2007, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitn in
Took a long trip to Arizona and my son was getting shocked inside the the car! Has anyone tried one of those straps that drag on the ground? Any idea where I could get one and what it should be attatched to? Today was especially nasty in dry shock land.......
i have one! and love it! lol looks really cool! mine is JDM, idk if they sell any for the american market though

Old 11-07-2007, 12:46 AM
Retired Moderator
I get shocked almost every time aswell, alot of cars do this though..

Old 11-07-2007, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
i can't remember once that i was shocked at all.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member
I was wondering what those strips for almost every car i have seen in europe has them i didn't know if it was to show where the tow hook was or not ( no more)

Old 11-07-2007, 06:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers

get a static reducer! mine works great! no more shock when entering or exiting the car. my radio gets better reception, my car doesn't get dusty as quick, and supposedly won't rust due to LESS STATIC
Are they model specific or universal fit? Where's a good place to get them? Went to my local autozone but no luck (its a tiny one, I'm going to try some other shops elsewhere)
Looks good - seems functional with the reflector too, and it's no over-the-top like some of those huge wide ones like you see on trucks/vans/big rigs

Old 11-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
I get shocked a fair bit in my fit, I even got shocked once putting my key into the ignition, wtf.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
I searched on Google, with no good results...

Where can I buy one of these? Anyone have a link - or maybe the manufacturer's name?

Old 11-07-2007, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AppleMac*Fit
I searched on Google, with no good results...

Where can I buy one of these? Anyone have a link - or maybe the manufacturer's name?
Here are a couple of places to get an anti-static strap:
StopZap Earth Belt
Mizter Anti-Static Strap

I also found a device that goes on your keychain:
StopShox Keychain

Old 11-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sevenaprils
Are they model specific or universal fit?
it should be universal. if i'm not mistaken, it just grounds the car, so that you don't end up grounding the car when you get out and touch it (and get zapped).

Old 11-07-2007, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
I get zapped every time I put the key in the ignition, if I'm touching the metal part of the key

Old 11-07-2007, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
i forgot the brand name of mine, but it was from Japan.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
I did some research as well - along with finding stopzap and those other things mentioned above, I found some more homemade tricks that I'm going to try.
For base owners without alarm/keyless entry you can discharge it by using the car's key as a lightning rod. Just tap it on the metal first before you get it. For sport model owners I don't recommend it. The info I came across had stories about people with keyless entry and intelli-key type key fobs that actually shorted out their electronic keys, and they're not cheap to replace. You can however use another key, housekey, bike lock key, etc. I tried it today it definitely works.
Also, when you turn the car off, and take the key out, grab a metal spot before sliding out, like the door frame, then slide out, and you'll effectively discharge the static.
Another trick people have been using is anti-static cling fabric spray, you just apply it to the seats and carpet and this seems to do the trick. You do have to make regular applications though as it wears out in time.
Lastly - and the cheapest trick since everyone has this - are dryer sheets. Simply keeping one in the car, or in your pocket is even better, is enough to discharge the static electricity.
So, before I go out and drop 20 buck plus shipping on the grounding straps for the rear of the car, I think I'll try these things out.

Last edited by sevenaprils; 11-07-2007 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-08-2007, 09:22 AM
I get zapped all the time too. My wife freaked out getting out of the car. I guess I need to wear one of these.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
I just let my girlfriend get out of the car, that way she's the one that gets zapped, not me.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:34 PM
The simplest way (that I use everywhere to avoid shock) is to touch the window.

I touch it with back of my hand, so it doesn't leave any sweat marks and doesn't shock me at all. This week I wore an extra static shirt and wasn't electrocuted at all. The only time got hit was on first or second day of having the car [edit] when I didn't touch the window [/edit].

Last edited by Flennel; 11-08-2007 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Electric Shocks Exiting Car