General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Electric Shocks Exiting Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:07 PM
someone help me out here...on Mizter's web site there are a bunch of testimonials that cite reduced fatigue and motion sickness after installing the strap. how exactly does static electricity contribute to these symptoms? never heard of a static charge making you sleepy.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lambert
someone help me out here...on Mizter's web site there are a bunch of testimonials that cite reduced fatigue and motion sickness after installing the strap. how exactly does static electricity contribute to these symptoms? never heard of a static charge making you sleepy.
I found this on a website for a "holistic practitioner".

Originally Posted by Dr. Guy Ferru
SCIENTIFIC STUDY

When a vehicle is in motion, the friction of air molecules against the body of the car creates a build-up of static electricity. This static electricity can be responsible for electronic circuitry failure in automobiles and can destroy any computer chips inside the car. In the bodies of humans or animals, static electricity disturbs the electric exchange on the level of the brain's neuro-transmitters. The build-up of static electricity in human cells will decrease the strength of the immune system's response. Static electricity in cars or trucks is responsible for: electric shock, drowsiness, motion sickness and fatigue.
I have also read that late model cars came with metal straps as an OEM feature just for this reason, but it has never been proven that static electricity causes these signs and symptoms. Also, if you read Mizter's 'Driver Tips' sections they talk about how to reduce motion sickness, which coincidentally mentions nothing about the strap reducing fatigue or motion sickness.

Originally Posted by www.mizter.com
Driving tips
Enjoy the ride...With a MIZTER!
Install the MIZTER antistatic strap on your vehicle.
Do not eat a heavy or greasy meal before traveling. No diary product including milk for your children.
Ginger snacks or candied Ginger for kids. Ginger works great for morning sickness.
Do not travel on an empty stomach. This will make things even worse.
Don't look out of side windows and focus on the horizon. You will notice that the driver rarely, if ever experience car sickness. Windows shades will do the trick wonders for your kids.
Avoid smoking or strong-smelling foods in the car.
Plan your trip and include frequent stops.
Breathe in fresh air - open a window.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Static Shocks

I bought a Mizter online and it works great! You should try it.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:02 PM
I got my antistatic strap mizter online and let me tell you guys. It works.
No more static shox!! what a relief.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Information from another forum post on this forum.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post192004

Old 12-09-2007, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
Weird... I've never been shocked in my Fit, in fact I don't recall being shocked in any car I've ever owned.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
Weird... I've never been shocked in my Fit, in fact I don't recall being shocked in any car I've ever owned.
First for me also...

This may help understanding the problem.
Have you ever been "ZAPPED" by your car? Ever wonder why?...
It is caused by electrical discharge of the static electricity accumulated on your body and a vehicle. When you are sitting in your car while driving, the contact between your clothes and the seat's surface creates static electricity. In the same time, the body of your car gets charged. When you stop and exit the car, the voltage between your body and the car becomes tremendous (few thousand volts). As you reach out to close the door, two charged surfaces (you and your car) reach an equilibrium state by releasing strong electrical discharge between each other. At that second, you feel that you are "ZAPPED" or shocked by your vehicle.

While this is a mild or significant annoyance (depending on your tolerance), the effect becomes a safety issue when you are at a gas station since the release of static electricity always accompanied with a small spark. These "sparks" can cause an explosion. In the last few years there were dozens of gas station fires caused by static electricity.

Static electricity can also cause "motion sickness". While driving in the charged vehicle, your body tries to protect itself from the effects of high voltage electrical charge accumulated on the body of your car. This can cause "motion sickness" for people who do not normally have this problem or increase the level of discomfort for people who deal with this issue on a daily basis.

Static electricity on you vehicle increases noise level of your car stereo system. So, if you occasionally notice that your stereo system produces unfamiliar noises, it could be caused by the static electricity on your car.

Static on your vehicle magnetizes small dust particles in the air. Therefore, even a few hours after washing you car, it looks dusty and not shiny. Grounding your vehicle avoids static charge build up and keeps your car cleaner.

Anti-static strips offered by our company have been proven to negate the problems created by static electricity build up on the body of an automobile. These strips are designed to ground your vehicle and release static electricity. Quickly and easily, they can be attached to the bumper or undercarriage of your vehicle to neutralize the electrical discharges. The installation kit and detailed instructions are provided with each strip. It only takes few minutes and a screwdriver to complete the installation steps. Installing the anti-static strip is a safe and effective solution that will eliminate problems caused by static electricity making your driving experience safer and more pleasurable.

Does any one know how much strap you need on the ground after instalation? Thanks, Capt.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
lol! that grounding strip is so 1980's.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
I don't wanna pay $25 for a damn conducting strap. Maybe I'll just dangle a little wire from something metal on my car? More discrete as well, those straps look stupid.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Just ground yourself (ie touch the door) as you slide out of you car and problem solved.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:10 AM
just a heads up for everybody interested in buying straps. i have had very negative feedback from StopZap. i ordered a strap from them in november and i still havent received it. when i sent them an email in late december they told me to wait anouther week and see what happens. i sent them anouther email tonight but thats just rediculous. 2 months plus and its not here yet!!!

Old 01-07-2008, 01:24 PM
i used to get shocked alot getting out of my fit. i would slide my butt across the seat when i was getting out of the car and that seemed to be the culprit. as soon as i started lifting myself out of the car instead of sliding out of it, i had no more problems...

also, as the fabric on the seat starts to wear down, you will find it happening alot less (since the individual fibers will start to mat down)... this is why it's not as common a problem with cars that are a few years old.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
I get shocked too, but I found that if I grab my VooDoo aluminum shift knob before I exit the car, it grounds me out pretty well and i don't have an issue.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Antistatic straps

Know that the electrostatic buildup in a car can very easily reach thousands of volts. When sitting in your car you're pretty much like in a Faraday cage with thousands of volts around you. Some people are more sensitive to static electricity than others. Kids in particular are prone to car sickness. Not saying that car sickness is only caused by static electricity but should be taken into account.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:43 PM
just found this thread after having this problem. I'm going to buy the strap. When I went to Ukraine last year most cars had the strap, only seen a few in the us.