General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Settle for Auto?........

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Settle for Auto?........

Well, No dealership in the area are getting a Manual Fit sport.. but one has an Auto coming in.. .Should I get it? or wait?. I test drove the auto.. I like it.. decent power. I currently drive Stick. Have been for the past 7 years.... I wonder if i could get used to driving auto.....

Old 02-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Auto is not fast but still fun to drive.. IMO

i had to get mine auto since my wife can't drive stick shift.. lol

i read MT fit gets better MPG than auto fit... (about 1 sec faster on 0-60)

Auto Fit comes with Paddle Shifter.. some like it.. some don't.. personally i like it...

Old 02-01-2007, 05:31 PM
I've had a lot of small cars going back to a 1975(?) old school Rabbit. Every single one of them has been a stick. I've driven auto versions of most of those cars and the difference between the AT and MT on those was HUGE ; the engines just didn't have enough extra oomph to handle the extra power losses of a standard AT transmission. Try driving an old Geo Metro AT to see what I mean......

However, I was pleasantly suprised when I drove the AT fit. While it WAS less zippy and fun than the MT, the difference was not nearly as much as I expected based on my experiences with those older cars. Not bad, not bad at all....

That being said, speaking from an MT bias, I'd say go for the MT if that's what you're used to and prefer - it's faster, cheaper, and better gas milage to boot (see separate thread on poor AT gas milage)

(edit
Just to clarify, after trying both, I ordered (and now have) an MT which took a lot longer - for me, it was the right decision....

Last edited by RedAndy; 02-02-2007 at 09:39 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 02-01-2007, 06:33 PM
dont do it man. manual is 300% better. it feels faster, and isnt it all about having what is rare? i feel on my fit by accedent, itll happen because its right, not cause you forced it. i guerentee youll regret it. do it for you man, dont force such a great thing.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I had a choice to wait 3 months if I ordered MT. They had a AT comin and I just went with that. It was hot here in Texas and I couldn't stand driving my CRX without A/C. So far, it's fun with the AT. The paddle shifters are used 90% of the time when I'm driving. My wife just drives it in D.

I still perfer MT though. But I'm happy I even have a Fit!

-Tomi

Old 02-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Like I said. I test drove the FIT Auto already.. Im really impressed. I currently drive a 2004 Acura TL 6-speed manual. Obviously im not getting the FIT for it to be a FAST car... hehe. I might settle for the Auto. Im going to the dealership tomorrow to see how much they will give me for the Acura TL as a trade-in. Ill post tthe price they offer

Old 02-02-2007, 12:20 PM
I would have probably preferred the manual, especially for the gas mileage--but my husband prefers to drive the auto, and even though I drive it 99% of the time...well, the darn little AT was available and I really didn't want to have to wait.

I don't drive it too often in S, but it has come in handy with the winter weather, when I want another option besides using the brakes to slow down--and yet I can use the AT when I don't want to think about the shifting. So far, my average gas mileage is hovering around 32 mpg for about 30-70 city/highway driving, which is satisfactory for me. I did get over 40 on a long road trip, and I am saving a lot in gas compared to my other love, the Element.

I guess it depends on just how patient you are feeling, and how important that stick is to you!

Old 02-02-2007, 12:40 PM
stick would be nice.. i guess im a little over the phase of modding cars for "performance". I would like the luxury of just driving and not worrying about stick.. but then again.. stick is fun as hell.... i doubt i will do any modding on the Auto for performance.. I'll just make the car fun to drive...
Plans for the FIT

In dash lcd screen, navi, dvd
tint windows
HID
Yellow fog light bulbs and film
maybe some other minor things..

Old 02-02-2007, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
I say never settle. get what you want otherwise it will always bug you.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
yep , don't settle but it sounds like you are pretty much ok with AT so if you go with it i wouldn't call it exactly "settled".
i really wanted MT too but when i saw the white sport with black interior on the dealer's floor i realised that i rather have it now in AT then wait for who knows how long. besides, my wife is happier with it being AT and that is also very important

Old 02-02-2007, 02:39 PM
I say get the stick. I had to call every dealer in my state on an almost regular basis and one day walked in and they told me they had one on the truck and would be there in one week. So just keep being persistent and you'll find one.

But for me, I personally can't stand autos as they always seem to pick the wrong gear for what I want to do. Plus you can't beat the feeling of a perfectly rev-matched heel-toe going into a corner.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:16 PM
If your buying a new car, you should'nt have to settle. If you want a manual, then buy a manual even if you have to wait, otherwise you will regret it. also, manuals are like $800 cheaper. why pay $800 more for something you dont want.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:42 PM
If you can wait - wait... Bennefits of waiting is that you might see what Honda has to offer in the '08 model (it could be better).

Old 02-02-2007, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
DON"T DO IT!! get the M/T!! Well worth it!

Old 02-02-2007, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
If you're going to buy new, you should wait for what you really want. That's part of the point of ordering a new car.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:46 PM
should try to wait

Waited only month and just got the call the my silver m/t will be here on the 8th or 12th....should try to wait.

Last edited by viperjohnny; 02-02-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:51 AM
5 Year Member
If you want the MT, wait for it!

I got the AT mainly because I don't know how to drive stick, I've decided this needs to change. I got mine in late May last year when every dealer in my area only had AT's (sorry for all still waiting). From what I can figure from the forum, if you want the MT & settle for an AT, you will be always wondering what could have been. Thats why I went through a couple of dealers to get what I wanted. My Mom is the one that talked me into getting the sport version, I thought it was more than I needed at the time. I know now that I would have regretted getting the base (just me, not knocking any base owners )! This is YOUR car, you have to pay for it. Don't sell yourself short if you don't have to. A good friend of mine ended up going out of state to get the XA she wanted, because no local dealer had it.

-C-

Old 02-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Im kinda in the same boat. Ive been driving manuals for the past 8 years and vowed that Id never buy another auto, the only auto cars ive had was a f150 and 2 chevelles, so they all ha enough power to still have fun. But the main reason that I want the auto is TRAFFIC, it sucks balls. I have a WRX now and it is driving me crazy, clutch, stop, first gear, clutch stop, first, stop. Its enough to drive a sane man insane That and I want the wifey to be able to drive it, she makes a great DD. So if you have good reasons Id say get the auto. It still should be fun to drive being able to select and hold a gear, also makes left foot braking really easy.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
After having driven M/T for years, 2 cars prior I bought an A/T Chrysler Sebring because I needed a car quick, it was mint, and was just a steal. Great car, no problems ever, fun to drive, and every time I always wondered how much it would be better if it had been an M/T. I vowed then to never get another A/T unless it was maybe a minivan or something with no choice, otherwise it was always bugging me. I say wait for the M/T -- it doesn't sound like you have to buy now, so why rush? It's not like they're gonna stop making Fits, and the new model year is just around the corner, too.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:04 PM
I settled for an AT but if I could have do-overs, I would wait (and probably would still be waiting), LOL!

Quick Reply: Settle for Auto?........