General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Many modes in the CVT gear system

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
nay.......
yah, it's different then. cvt's are superior to regular AT from a torqueband perspective as it can get most out of the engine between the regular AT's gear ratio's.

well, theoretically...

Old 12-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Cool

Thanks for your posts. I'm new to this forum.

Well, our roads outside of the city are very narrow and it was all covered in snow and ice in some places. So I wouldn't have much time to maneuver, anyway. Btw, I think winter tires played their part in not letting me out of the road.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:41 PM
My ex-wife's Sentra had a CVT. One short trip in there convinced me! It makes even a 6 or 7 speed gearbox seem crude and antiquated.

Drop the pedal, it rushes to the peak HP point and hovers there, adjusting the ratio instantly to keep the engine right at that peak power point.

Go to top gear, and it will settle down to nice, low engine speed. The Sentra ran at 2050 at 70 mph. Any slopes are met with a gradual change in gear ratio, rather than waiting for the engine to bog and shifting.

If they'd offered one on the Fit, I'd have bought it without a second thought. They are superior to both manuals and conventional planetary gearset automatics.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:08 PM
Honda fit GD1 2007
need advise for my ride plez
the problem is after break off at traffic (mostly morning ) something like car is stopped when gear is D position ,car wont go (just like gear disengaged ).After break off she should be run but she wont,then i push the gas paddle, she going jump.Not all day just for few jump after that she good for all day.So i told to my mechanic about her.And he said that she need to change whole transmission(JDM used) ,spark plug(NGK) ,auto gear oil(Honda CVT),engine oil(Mobile),throttle body and i changed it.I also cleaned air intake side with HHO.I used a lot of money. But the problem is still.
So all i need to do is change another ride.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by F0NIX
Before you both go way off topic with this thread
I did never inteded this thread to be any "AT is the best" or "MT is rubish", I just merely want other to know how I felt about especially the CVT system.

I can still understand that some people want to have a MT since they feel they "drive" the car more and take more part of the driving experience.

But I like the CVT system because of its steady and very comforting (not sure how to describe it in English), and it is very easy to drive.

And know I know the reason for the law about if you get your driving licence when using a AT your'e not allowed to drive a MT car. And there will be a note in your license that you only can drive AT cars. It is like that in Norway and probably other countries as well.

Using and learning to use a MT is not the easyest thing to learn in a car. Specially when you need to coordinate that with other things like looking at the traffic around you.

Well I know some of you will dissagree on me about this.

There has also been a study (I think it was in UK) that AT car drivers more is not safer drivers than MT drivers (as it was thought earlier), and here in Norway you got cheaper insurance if you got an AT. But now the insurance companies want to remove that rebate for AT car owners.

But now! A little back to the topic:

I have a question to all Jazz/Fit CVT owners.
When I drive very slow like in the morning traffic. The cars goes forward even if I have no foot on the gas pedal. Is it supposed to act like that? I can press the brake and it stops (offcourse ) but when I release the brake pedal again, the car slowly goes forward again...
To go very slowly I have to alternate between D and N.
Maybe the reason is that it is realy cold outside and the motor is going on a higher rpm to get warm and hence the clutch start to make contact earlier?

Have not tried to drive for a long time to be sure the motor is warm and then try to see if the car still goes forward when I release the gas pedal...
I don't know about the Norway version but the US version of the CVT does not have a clutch; it has a torque convertor, like an old-fashioned planetary gear automatic transmission. Both transmissions "creep" forward in Drive, when you take you foot off the brake pedal. The standard procedure for driving in stop and go traffic is to leave the car in Drive and use the brake. The Fit will kind of "jolt" ahead as soon as you put your foot on the throttle, with the eco button in "normal" mode. For smoother driving in stop and go traffic I suggest pushing the eco button to put the car in eco mode, then push it again in normal driving, to turn off eco mode.