General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Ethanol blends

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:52 PM
I think the EPA #s are still based on antiquated speeds, 40mph highway? So ignore them. Other than the California gas cocktail which seems to give really poor mileage, maybe the ethanol blend your particular state mandates could cause low MPG. Corn ethanol is very low energy relative to sugar cane ethanol or clean gasoline. I'm a Florida flatlander. My worst mpg is 35 and that's with A/C running continuously, I also like to drive 'cold' so I may over A/C a bit. I also don't drive slowly, doesn't help. manual, Storm Silver Metallic base 4200 miles, and I still love my Fit.

Old 07-25-2006, 05:59 PM
Anyone know where to find info on the ethanol situation in various states? Some chart or map on the web? I'm curious to match up the really high reports and the really low reports - see if they corrolate with ethanol requirments....

Old 07-26-2006, 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by jrlnc
I think the key to getting the best mileage out of the Fit lies in these principles:

1) Don't use ethanol blends
HOw do we do that? Isn't this mandated by the government that some states (if not all) use E10?? If there are certain gas stations that use ethanol blends and others that don't, where can I find this information????

Old 07-26-2006, 10:40 AM
yeah we have 10% ethanol in WA. Can't get away from it.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Not living in an ethanol state, I may not understand as well as those of you who do.

I thought that in some areas you may have a choice (ethanol or not) and in others that's all that is available. (for example if you live near the boundary of an ethanol state or region)

Old 07-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by jrlnc
Not living in an ethanol state, I may not understand as well as those of you who do.

I thought that in some areas you may have a choice (ethanol or not) and in others that's all that is available. (for example if you live near the boundary of an ethanol state or region)
So NC does not have ethanol? HOw did you find that out? (I'm looking for a list of states that do and do not...) That would explain why you get 36mpg solid average and the rest of us are lucky to get 34...

Maybe I should drive to NC to fill up

Old 07-26-2006, 12:53 PM
I don't think everywhere is on E10, though it looks as if since early 2006 most
US gas has some ethanol added as an oxygenator. It's difficult to find any percentages other than vague comments about higher amounts of ethanol in some urban areas IN WINTER to 'reduce smog causing emissions'. These areas include New York, Chicago and LA. I don't know how it differs in summer blends, but apparently in high temperatures ethanol emissions can cause a fog like haze. It also speeds evaporation of the gas, it's alcohol after all, and 'breaks it down faster' so it doesn't store as well. Hard to quantify the effects, I wonder if other makes/models are also seeing different or lower gas mileage #s, this year. The general use of ethanol as an oxygenator is a recent thing. Oh incidentally there are some who claim that it takes more energy to produce a gallon of grain ethanol than you get out of it. Wierd.

Last edited by pablo; 07-26-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by trowpa
So NC does not have ethanol? How did you find that out? (I'm looking for a list of states that do and do not...) That would explain why you get 36mpg solid average and the rest of us are lucky to get 34...

Maybe I should drive to NC to fill up
Yes, NC does not have ethanol (yet). I have heard that it's clearly posted on the gas pump in areas where they do have it. Look carefully next time you're at the pump.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
Just thought I would add htat if your state requires Ethanol in your gas, then your mileage will go DOWN!! ethanol is not a very efficient fuel mileage wise.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:26 PM
+1 on ethanol blends being bad on mileage. 10% ethanol (E10), typical in the Northeast and elsewhere, may have a corresponding link to poorer gas mileage. I'm currently looking for something other than anectdotal evidence. As I find more I'll try to share it. Right now the most popular and accessible study was perfromed by an ethanol industry group. An independent study would be preferrable. In the Northeast we don't have an option, it is all E10, so the cost comparisons aren't that meaningful. We pay the highest prices in the nation and get worse mileage.

If that were to be the case, then ethanol would be doing very little, or at least less than advertised, to assist in energy independence. You are buying it as filler and your consumption of the gasoline portion stays about the same. If so, you can imagine that there might not be a lot of publicity of the effects of ethnol blends on mileage.

Last edited by yo_fitty; 08-11-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Washington requires ethenol in the gas. max of 10%. (I think haven't paid attention to the signs on the pumps in a while.. ) NOW I will admit that I have gotten what I consider lower milage using some of the different brands.. Cenex.. it dropped and the octane was higher on their regular. I normally put Arco and or Chevron in the car.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Ethanol.

Here are a few articles about ethanol. The quotes I took are morea bout E85 than the 10% but you get the idea anyways.
http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/apr2006/bw20060427_493909.htm

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060701/BUSINESS01/607010328/1029/BUSINESS
E10 will result in a 1 percent to 2 percent drop in a vehicle's mileage, according to a study by the American Coalition for Ethanol. A blend of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline will result in a 10 percent to 30 percent reduction, depending to the study.
http://www.agriculture.com/ag/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/ag/story/data/1147098565893.xml

Ethanol supporters and detractors agree that ethanol reduces gas mileage, because of its lower energy content. But by how much? The Iowa Corn Growers E85 Web site says that if you have a flex-fuel vehicle and burn E85 (85% ethanol, 15% regular gasoline), you'll experience a gas mileage drop of 5-15% compared with regular gasoline. Taking the middle, a car that gets 25 mpg on regular gas would get 22.5 mpg on E85.
Others say the gas mileage penalty for E85 is more severe. For instance, a story in USA Today this week told its millions of readers that the E85 mileage penalty is 28%. That means your 25 mpg car now only gets 18 mpg if you flex to E85.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:34 AM
Has anyone noticed a difference in MPG when varying between ethanol and non-ethanol blends of gas?

Old 09-25-2006, 01:52 AM
These are my observations on gas types when in the fit.. and yes I am still averaging 40_ per gallon over all...
The gas stations locally here are arco, 76, chevron and Cenex plus a lil station in a side town that I'm not sure what the brand is.. yes I can get Texaco but I have to drive like 15 miles to find one locally. We also have a few odds and ends ones that I won't go to..
Arco, has 10% ethanol, 87 octane on reg, Cenex is 89 octane, rest 87. The lil side station is 2 cents usually more than Arco.. and still about 20 or so below the rest of the stations. (last fill was 269 a gall, arco was 267 I just go there cause I"m lazy and they are a full services station for that price.. pump your gas, wash your windows etc..)

Worst milage per tank was the cenex. Hate to break this to a lot of you but ALL gas has detergents in it.. and that is coming from LOTS of people who work for LOTS of different companies..

The last three tanks have been from the off the beaten path station.. they do not run ethanol. I'll ask who puts out the gas the next time I'm down there..

Old 09-25-2006, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by Talon
The last three tanks have been from the off the beaten path station.. they do not run ethanol..

I thought the 10% ethanol was a state law - how is it you seem to say that some of your gas stations have ethanol and some don't?

I've asked this before, but never got an answer - anyone know where we can get a lists of the states that have 10% ethanol and the states that do NOT?

Old 09-25-2006, 12:32 PM
I don't know about the ethanol requirement I know that some stations only run it part of the year, and I think the labels on most of the pumps state may have up to 10% ethanol.

Old 09-25-2006, 12:52 PM
My stations have no labels other than a vague "Boaters: Can your boat use ethanol blended fuel? Stop in for details"

I think next time I stop, I'll "stop in for details" maybe they can give me an idea of who uses it when...

Old 09-25-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Talon
I don't know about the ethanol requirement I know that some stations only run it part of the year, and I think the labels on most of the pumps state may have up to 10% ethanol.
All stations in VA have blends and none in NC do. Every other time I fill up I get gas in VA and though I'm only on tank seven (7) it appears that ethanol blended gas gives me better mileage. I'll wait until tank 20 or 25 before I officially believe.

I too would like a list of states with/without ethanol blended gas.

Chris

Old 09-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Minnesota is a 10% ethanol state, and also has most of the E85 stations in the country. Legislation has been passed mandating 20% ethanol for all gas here too - that requirement kicks in in the next 5-6 years or so(can't remember the exact start date)

Old 09-25-2006, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
I believe the last post by "Talon" is right and that it's only during the cold months that they all add 10% ethanol. During the summer you can get straight gas. There is one station I used to stop at that had a sticker on the pump that said "We add NO alcohol to our gas" then there was yet another sticker that said "10% ethanol" on the same pump.

I asked them which one it was since they can't both be true. They had no answer. So I stopped going there.

Quick Reply: Ethanol blends