General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Shifting a Sport 5AT?

Old 04-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Shifting a Sport 5AT?

Hi I'm looking to get a Sport 5AT with paddle shift. OK I heard you can't redline in shift mode, is this true? How high can you rev before the computer shifts for you?

Old 04-09-2007, 06:50 PM
not sure but mine redlined and did not shift on its own

Old 04-09-2007, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
Redline

if i dont click the left one to start, it changes to about 3rd gear and then it will red line if i dont click to 4th

Old 04-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks, BTW can you down shift to first?

Overall is it pretty fun to drive or is 5MT better? I think it's a bargin that the Fit comes with paddle shift at this price point.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:04 PM
i wanted a five speed more than anything but i was put into a bind and needed a car and couldnt wait on a black 5speed sport so i got stuck with an auto. but all in all i'm very happy with the auto either way i think you cant go wrong

Old 04-09-2007, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
I havent tried to go past redline, but it hasnt upshifted for me yet, ive taken right to the red, It will downshift for you if you dont downshift when you come to a stop. And yes you can downshift into first, it acts just like a manual when you have it in S and in Manual mode.

Otherwise if you leave it in S but Automatic mode it will just hold whatever gear its in, and when it gets to a set shift point(fairly high maybe redline) it will shift up.

You can use the padles in D also, they will control the up and downshifts to a point. The computer will consider the shifts tho and if it doesnt like it, it will blink and not shift.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
Paddle shifting

You can download the entire Owner's Manual (and get Honda's description). Click here.
Honda Fit Owners Manual UPDATE! I apologize, this link doesn't work. Someone here can tell you where to get it.

Last edited by Steeldog; 04-09-2007 at 08:29 PM. Reason: bad link
Old 04-09-2007, 09:57 PM
OK I think I'm sold on the 5 AT.... now I like some feedback from 5AT users than came from a 5MT (any car)... so how have your driving habits changed? do you use the M mode or S mode or just leave it in Auto.

Do you usually shift on fwy on ramps? when do you actually paddle shift?

Thanks... I know lots of questions, sorry

Old 04-09-2007, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
ITs not my car so i dont drive it all the time, my moms leaves it in D, but when i drive, i usualy end up in M a few times. if im on the highway ill usualy put it in Manual and leave it in 5th so it wont downshift and try to keep the MPG up. Sometimes if im feeling sprited ill put it in manual or sport, but in Drive it does pretty good, if your on it it will go all the way to redline almost then shift.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
I would think if redlining is your goal, you probably want a car with a third pedal.

I can't imagine ever switching over to an auto of any kind, whether it has paddle shifters or not. To me, half the experience of driving a manual is downshifting and if you can't control when the downshift actually happens, it's not really manual at all.

My wife had a 98 Prelude that had the sport-whatever-shiftable-auto and I just never thought it was really anything special. Not to mention, many of those transmissions (her's included) died. I'd be kind of wary of shifting an auto a lot, even if it was designed to shift it.

I am totally biased though...as I said, I won't be buying a car that has less than 3 pedals for a long, long time.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
I agree, i totaly woudlnt get a Sport AT Fit, but its not my car, lol.

Both my Civic and CRX are 5spd's.

But if somebody has a bum leg, or it has to be driven by somebody who cant/wont learn manual, its not all bad.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by Mead
OK I think I'm sold on the 5 AT.... now I like some feedback from 5AT users than came from a 5MT (any car)... so how have your driving habits changed? do you use the M mode or S mode or just leave it in Auto.

Do you usually shift on fwy on ramps? when do you actually paddle shift?

Thanks... I know lots of questions, sorry

I usually start in S and when I get to cruising speed I'll throw it in D. But even in D when I hit the off/on ramps I will downshift (you can down shift in D, it will just take back over when you start to accelerate again).

It is nice to have the paddle shifters to get some manual shifting going on, but still be able to throw it in D for the heavy Boston traffic.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:14 AM
yeah, thanks for the responses. To me the paddle shift is more of a novelity, I've driven MTs all my life, it's second nature and is really sweet with a nice exhaust note, but it can get old in traffic or when I'm tired from a long day. Either way I've never had steering wheel paddle shifters and it does look cool watching F1 drivers work the paddles. (I know it the Fit ain't no F1 but the brochure describes the paddle shifters as a "F1 inspired" feature =P)

Old 04-10-2007, 11:21 AM
I have another question... about the 'security system'
in the brochure, under Safety:
Immobilizer Theft-Deterrent System (standard)
Exterior features:
Security System with Remote Entry (sport only)
So does the Fit have an alarm? does the horn sound if the door is opend or a shock sensor, or just a chipped key?

Last edited by Mead; 04-10-2007 at 11:27 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 04-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Honestly, I have driven MANY manuals and autos (I went to a performance driving school while living in Germany and this school was done all in an S2000) so I suppose you could say I know a fair bit about driving. I bought the 5AT with paddles because dude... IT HAS PADDLES! If it were a regular tiptronic where you could shift it on the shifter it would have been different i suppose. This transmission I can tell you though is one of the FASTEST shifting autos I have ever driven in my life, it upshifts and downshifts (if you blip the throttle a bit) like a DSG. It is so much fun on the twisties, I don't know why either. If you would have asked me before I had driven the auto in the fit i'd say no way i would ever buy an auto in an econo car, but it's incredible I can assure you. Plus, the manuals' gear ratios are really off on the fit and the pedal placement honestly annoys the crap out of me... so basically what i'm saying is go auto and don't look back.

Just my .02 euros!

Old 04-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Arashi
Honestly, I have driven MANY manuals and autos (I went to a performance driving school while living in Germany and this school was done all in an S2000) so I suppose you could say I know a fair bit about driving. I bought the 5AT with paddles because dude... IT HAS PADDLES! If it were a regular tiptronic where you could shift it on the shifter it would have been different i suppose. This transmission I can tell you though is one of the FASTEST shifting autos I have ever driven in my life, it upshifts and downshifts (if you blip the throttle a bit) like a DSG. It is so much fun on the twisties, I don't know why either. If you would have asked me before I had driven the auto in the fit i'd say no way i would ever buy an auto in an econo car, but it's incredible I can assure you. Plus, the manuals' gear ratios are really off on the fit and the pedal placement honestly annoys the crap out of me... so basically what i'm saying is go auto and don't look back.

Just my .02 euros!
The AT shifter on the fit is very good and does shift nicely. It's the first AT I've ever really considered because it is so good. I finally decided on the MT though for the extra pep and city gas milage, and am happy with the decision. If it had a real DSG, I would probably have bought it.

I think the MT ratios are just fine, except that
a) 1st really could be a bit taller, and
b) I wish it had one more gear for long distance crusing - above about 80 mph (~3900 rpm) it starts gettig buzzy.....

Both transmissions are good - just a matter of preference....

Old 04-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
I've never driven a manual car, only automatics, but now I have a VBP Sport 5AT and I've been playing with the paddles quite a bit. First of all, S and D mode seem pretty much the same to me, but it may just be my driving (I have a fairly heavy foot).

In Manual mode, I usually start out from a stop in 2nd, and then shift up as soon as I can, which is at about 5mph for 3rd, and 25mph for 4th. Since during my commute I rarely get above 30mph, I am not sure exactly where the shift point for 5th is. I've never redlined the car, as it just doesn't feel right to hear the engine so loud and going so slow. Once I came close, but almost instinctively shifted to quiet the engine.

My thinking is that by shifting the car as early as possible, my RPMs will be as low as possible, which will help fuel efficiency (right now, I'm getting about 22mpg, but I only have about 350 miles on it).

Is there anything wrong with starting out in 2nd instead of 1st? Sometimes, if I shift into 2nd, and never get very fast, I can stop again and the car will stay in 2nd, but usually it will shift into 1st. Am I doing more harm than good by driving this way?

Old 04-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Yikes, 22MPG is that normal? well I guess you do have a heavy foot.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:07 PM
[quote=RedAndy;131712]b) I wish it had one more gear for long distance crusing - above about 80 mph (~3900 rpm) it starts gettig buzzy.....
[quote]</p>

hmmm so 3900 rpm at 80 mph... doesn that go for 5AT also?

I do 650 mile interstate trips every now and then

Old 04-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by Mead
Yikes, 22MPG is that normal? well I guess you do have a heavy foot.
I'm disappointed by my mileage so far. I've been trying to accelerate slower. I'm going to check the tire pressure tonight, see if they are where they should be. I've only put gas in about 3 times, so I don't have much data to go on yet. I'll keep everyone updated as I drive more.

Last edited by LizardKing; 04-10-2007 at 02:13 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifting a Sport 5AT?