General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

A trick to use when buying a new car...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 12:49 PM
A trick to use when buying a new car...

Here is something that I did when I purchased my fit and I guarantee most dealers will go along with it, just to sell a car. Just thought I would share the idea with all of you.

First let me give you the back story:
I had a '92 civic si, completely mint and stock. it was stolen in front of my house... and i only had liability coverage (lesson learned)... I needed a car asap, so i bought a 2001 mazda protege5. I was intending on selling my si for a fit, but this was November of '05. I still had 6 months to wait.

I ended up paying too much and getting it financed (sound familiar?)... I owed $7500 on a car that was easily only worth $6500 wholesale...

The week before the fit came out, I went to the dealer and they only offered me $4500 for the mazda, my debt was hanging around $6500 by then, leaving me with a $2000 nut before I even thought about buying the fit... I told the dealer I needed $6500 for the Mazda, he told me that noone would ever buy it. So I posted it on Craigslist.

April 19th rolled around and I had a buyer at $6750, however, the tax rate in chicago is 9.75%... So the deal I made with the buyer was this, I need them to come to the dealer with me to do the transaction.

I brought the buyer to the dealer, I had the dealer buy the car from me for $6092 (6750, less taxes) and sell it to the buyer for $6750 after taxes (plates and title transfers are cheaper at a dealership than a currency exchange too, more reason for them to go with you...)

By doing this, I ended up getting $6092 for my car instead of the $4500 my dealer offered me AND I also got a $594 tax-break on the fit for selling the car to the dealer!! That means I ended up with $6686 for my Mazda, a $186 NET PROFIT from it! (hey, you take it where you can get it...)

I'd say the extra effort was worth it to save me the extra $2000 i would've had to pay on top of the $14,750 I paid for my Fit Sport....

Trust me, no dealer will pass up the opportunity to sell you a vehicle, if you are willing to make them jump through hoops, they will gladly abide, even if they only make $300 on the deal, like they did with me.

I hope this helps some of you in the market for a new car!!

Old 05-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by barelyinaudible
I hope this helps some of you in the market for a new car!!
no, i dont think it will help anyone.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:05 PM
wow, who peed in your cheerios?

Old 05-09-2007, 02:45 PM
your story...

Old 05-09-2007, 04:07 PM
My parents did something similar. They got a better deal by having their old car sold to me through a dealership than by selling me the old car directly and applying the proceeds to the purchase of the new car.

There was some funky calculation with the taxes that made it worthwhile.

I'll go through the calculation, but I didn't take much notice of it at the time, so don't quote me.

In Quebec (Canada), we are charged two taxes on cars sold through a dealership and one if a car is sold by an individual. My Father and I agreed on a price of $10,900 ($10,000 plus the one tax of $900).

However, instead of transferring the car directly, we arranged for the car to be sold to me through the dealership for $9450. With the two taxes, the total price was $10,900.

According to my Father, the net result was higher than if I had just paid him the $10,000 directly, to be applied as a deposit on the new car. So the dealer must have been able to include one or both of the taxes in the trade in value that my Father received on the new car.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Sounds like a good way to go - win-win for everybody.

I did my first trade in ever at a dealership when I bought my Fit for the tax reasons noted above. They gave me just under (maybe ~$200) the KBB private party value for my old car.

I figured if I just sold it myself I could have gotten the actual private party value or maybe a bit more, but since I saved on the sales tax for the amount I traded in for, it just about netted out.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by aywwsd
your story...
listen, i'm not about to start a flame war, i'm just trying to help out some people that might be getting shafted on their trade-in... judging from your other posts, you have a sort of vendetta against dealers, i don't know what they did to you, and frankly i don't care. i would prefer you kept the sarcasm to yourself. some people are actually trying to be informative on this site...

mods, sorry if i'm offending.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:12 PM
good info...might be useful someday..

Old 05-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by barelyinaudible
listen, i'm not about to start a flame war, i'm just trying to help out some people that might be getting shafted on their trade-in... judging from your other posts, you have a sort of vendetta against dealers, i don't know what they did to you, and frankly i don't care. i would prefer you kept the sarcasm to yourself. some people are actually trying to be informative on this site...

mods, sorry if i'm offending.
really...

i have vendetta against dealers?? maybe you should actually read some of my posts before passing judgement...

as far as you being informative, in my professional opinion, what you did, didnt help you if any at all, the dealership was stupid to even take your 300 profit trade, 300 is barely enough to cover smog and safety, let alone liability.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Poor guy

AYWWSD, as everyone knows, didn't get enough attention from his Mommy and Daddy when he was a child.
Many of us have tried just ignoring him, but he is obviously 15 years old and gets off on his own BS and the fact that he can get a little rise out of the adults. I say this at the risk of being barred from here or having my reputation points lowered. He is an orifice.
Flame away, loser.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Steeldog
AYWWSD, as everyone knows, didn't get enough attention from his Mommy and Daddy when he was a child.
Many of us have tried just ignoring him, but he is obviously 15 years old and gets off on his own BS and the fact that he can get a little rise out of the adults. I say this at the risk of being barred from here or having my reputation points lowered. He is an orifice.
Flame away, loser.
steeldog, the mature adult, can only come up with my parents not giving me any attention.

dont worry about me flaming you, i wont lower myself to your level.

and is this the thread you ignored me on?

the one where you were pulling bs out of your ass??
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...fit-sport.html

i guess it is.

Last edited by aywwsd; 05-09-2007 at 09:14 PM.