General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Paddle Shifters on the Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 09:25 AM
Paddle Shifters on the Sport

Do the paddle shifters on the Sport automatic approximate manual shifting? If you have them on your Fit do you use them often? Do they provide the kind of control you could get with a manual? Do they have an effect on gas mileage? In other words, do they serve a real purpose or are they just a gimmick?

I am getting very close to getting a Fit Sport and need to make a decision very soon. Seems like a nimble little car like the Fit was built for a manual trans. Why not have some fun driving it? Or do the paddle shifters give you that feel of control?

Thanks!

Chuck

Old 09-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Retired Moderator
Well it does give you SOME control over they the engine revs, but nothing will be as close to a manual trnny without a clutch. But the Paddles are really fun, and they are a option you dont see very much on a car in this price range. You manly see them on, Lexus IS, Infiniti G, Ferrari, Lambo, but of course the Ferraris and Lambos have it a little more advanced lol. But i totally recommend it, its really fun!

Old 09-29-2007, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

I like using them when I start to drive "more aggressively" as you can hold the car in any gear all the way up to the fuel cutoff.

It's nice to be able to keep the engine in the sweet spot of it's power band.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
in defence of the sport paddles, they shift faster than some of the tiptronic cars I have test driven. it was suprisingly fast. However not as fun as manual.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by Solscud007
in defence of the sport paddles, they shift faster than some of the tiptronic cars I have test driven. it was suprisingly fast. However not as fun as manual.
at the time of review, C/D said it shifts smoother than BMW's version.

What is neat about paddles it's the only honda (excluding acura) with paddles, despite the new accord. I just found that odd that their cheapest car is the only one w/ paddles.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:01 PM
Retired Moderator
^I bet they put them on the Fit because it has such a small engine, they want you to be able to get everythiing out of it when needed..

Old 10-01-2007, 03:36 AM
Banned
In my mountain driving I use the "S" setting and paddles all the time. The main difference between the transmission's performance vs. a manual trans. is in a downshift for engine braking, there is more slip in the AT, therefor less of a braking effect. It is still better than having to ride your brakes on a steep decline.

In our NorCal Fit meet yesterday, Tool and his Dad followed me down a twisty mountain road. At the bottom, his Dad says: "I notice that you don't use your brakes much. Is it because you were using the paddles?" I said "yes, that and the Progress Rear Anti-Sway Bar".

Old 10-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Retired Moderator
^haha yeah i remember that..Then on are way out of the park we were using them, it worked well!