General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Did you buy the fit for good mpgs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
Did you buy the fit for good mpgs?

Was the main reason you purchased the Fit because of the fuel economy? The fuel economy was the main reason I'm going to get a fit. Along with the fact it is a Honda, has Honda's reliability, its inexpensive, can carry five people, and is a hatch.

Do you have a concern for the environment, global warming, or are you really cheap? lol

I care about the environment, but I wouldn't call myself a hippie, I do listen to some hippie music but i own nothing that is tiedye, and I listen to Gwar.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
i got it cause it was cool looking and a hatchback. haha

Old 10-16-2007, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
i got it because its different and everyone nowadays got civic ( not that i hate the civic) and the best thing its a hatcback wat more can i say...

Old 10-17-2007, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
the mpg was one of my main reasons. i knew i wanted a hatchback, as i was coming from an '88 CRX, and after doing all the research, the fit really was the best deal.

i couldn't see spending more on a car and not getting mileage as good as the fit's. otherwise i would've just gotten a hybrid.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
No concern for the mpg or environment -- the Fit has simply the best performance/potential of any car in its price range.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I am cheap
I care a little for the environment, but not much,.. but yeah, it was cuz it's functionality was FANTASTIC,... Load of room for a little car. And it handled not bad,... but yeah, the 24km/liter claim got me. On a recent trip I averaged about 23 and change / liter. And that was with varying speeds between 50km/h to 100km/h. I am sure if I stuck to the toll roads (100km/h is pretty much the norm) and went a steady speed, I would of gotten MORE than 24km/l. But then I'd have to pay for tolls! Remember I'm cheap
Oh and I have the 1.3L with CVT here too. The CVT is kinda kewl. Kinda weird to drive it, but not bad for an auto I guess.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:25 PM
I bought it primarily for the mpgs and the environmental impact. I chose it over a Prius or HCH because of the handling and fun to drive factor (...and price ).

I've also changed every bulb in my house to CFL's...it's actually saved me a significant amount on my utility bill. Being cheap and saving the planet can go hand-in-hand!

Old 10-17-2007, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
In no particular order, why I got the fit:

Amazing MPG
To get away from the Civic scene, which seems to consist mostly of stupid people, few smart ones
Cargo space (my 8thgen coupe had very little)
Manual tranny

Old 10-17-2007, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
I got it for 4 reasons:

1) My Integra was 17 years old and had over 200K miles on it. After 17 years of ownership, it was time for me to move on.

2) MPG, I made myself a promise that my next commuter car would get at least 30mpg.

3) Style, I drove the Versa, Yaris, and the Caliber, and I liked the feel and look of the Fit the best.

4) Out of the cars I have had in my lifetime, Pontiac, Mitsubishi, Dodge, Chevrolet, & BMW; Honda has been the most reliable.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Bought mine based on a cost per year figure.

So after factoring in purchase price, mpg cost, maintenance and the fact getting over 200k of reliability should be cake.

I drive about 38K a year just for my work commute. Had over 100k on my Scion xA in less than 2 years.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Cost of ownership:

Great MPG's
Low maintenance costs (ease of maint as well)
Lots of space
Honda shifter (I love my subie but there is no comparison)
Fun to autox

Old 10-17-2007, 05:27 PM
i wanted a car that had great mpg because petrol/gas costs so much here: Fuel/Diesel/Petrol prices across Europe

because i'm concerned (terrified, in fact) about climate change. A read of New Scientist magazine will scare the bejeebus out of you (if you believe in science)

and because I think we're heading for an energy crunch soon: if you haven't already heard of 'peak oil', google it and see what you think of the arguments and the implications.

i also wanted a car that looks good, handles well, is automatic and is reliable. and i've only heard good things about Honda's reliability.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
yeah I wanted a hatch too. Originally in like 05 i wanted a vw golf diesel. Vw has stopped making their diesel for the us and when they start making them a again, there going to be super expensive, then Honda released the fit which i fell in love with.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Well I did want the great gas milage but the bottom line was I wanted a car with the WOW!!!! factor and the Fit just had everything that did it for me in that department. Plus the fact that it was a Honda.

Cat :x

Old 10-18-2007, 03:38 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I bought it for 3 reasons:

1. Great MPG
2. Cargo space
3. Looks cool

Old 10-18-2007, 07:43 AM
I have always wanted a hatch.

The Yaris is too chinsey and doesn't have a tack.

The Versa is assembled in Mexico.

American cars suck. Well, most of them anyway.

I've owned two Honda vehicles before so I know they are great.

Great gas mileage.

Great steering and suspension, stock.

Air conditioning! I haven't had a working AC in 8 years!

I have gotten tired of keeping a high maintenance Nissan alive.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
1. versitle (might be spelled wrong )
2. mpg
3. hatchback
4. fun to drive
5. can haul alot of my stuff like my bike without taking the wheel off.
6. looks great with correct mods
7. affordable so i can put the mods on it....eventually

Old 10-18-2007, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
1. Cost of ownership
2. Mpg
3. Its a 4 door hatch
4. Lots of aftermarket accesories available
5. Tons of space

Old 10-18-2007, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
I bought it because I totalled my subaru wagon and wanted a car that potentially would have as much storage space as my wagon and the Fit was the best for that while providing Honda reliability and way better mpg!

Plus the Fit is way more fun to drive I must say!

Old 10-20-2007, 11:17 AM
So I go to fill up tonight,...

Well "fill up" isn't exactly it,... but I went to "put in Gas"
And I Thought my gas gauge was F'd up! Cuz I have gone 650+ km and the gas light hasn't come on,... so I was like, ok, I better fill up cuz I am going on a mini road trip tomorrow anyways. So I fill up and it STOPS at just under 33liters! I was like,... OK..., I even "topped it up" a bit and it was still under 34liters!

So the gas gauge was correct. It showed about a little less than 1/8 of a tank left, and I was wondering the past few days, when the light would come on,... but it never did,...

Anyway, I hope this is going to stay, if it is, then this leaves me to believe that the previous over chomped on it everywhere. And now after 4 tanks of gas (had it for about 2 months) it finally learning my driving style and is adjusting the fuel correctly,... I pretty much drive this thing under 2000rpm, unless I am passing and this past tank, I haven't even done any "highway" driving (and by Highway, I mean 100km/h average like in North america) This whole week I had to work about 25km's away from home and it still takes me like 1/2 hour to get there! Geebus! Anyway, been going like 60-80km/h all week and last time I did the same trip (also for the week) it used MORE gas for sure, but that was soon after I got the car.
Anyway, enough ranting,... here are some pix:
653.2kms (EPS light is on, cuz I turned the ignition off and ALMOST forgot to take a pic before filling up, so I just turned it back on, without cranking it to take a pic)

Gas receipt:
33.38L,... yeah 132yen / liter! ouch! Hence I got the Fit!
(Sure, if you did the conversion to Cdn $, it's only like $1.15/l but I don't get paid in Cdn$)

So yeah, Got the fit for the MPG!

BTW this is the 1.3L CVT

Last edited by KayJai; 10-20-2007 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Did you buy the fit for good mpgs?