General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Shifting into 2nd occasional grind?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:39 AM
Shifting into 2nd occasional grind?

I know that i am going to get people telling me to push the clutch in cause i have a manual but trust me its not that. haha. i start my car and let it warm up till the temp light goes away but for the first 15-20 minutes of driving, shifting into 2nd can be a pain and it grinds sometimes but only over 3000 rpms. after 20 minutes or so no problems at all. I use a lot of clutch when i shift and have driven manual cars for many years so i am not new to the manual. i am just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience or if i have a problem with my car. im close to an oil change so i am going to talk to the dealership when i bring it in and let them look into it and go from there but still looking for some input from everyone here in the mean time.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:40 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
hmm, that's weird on a car this new. some transmissions start having that problem but that's after a lotta miles have been put on them. i think it's the synchros having gone out in those cases, but i don't know about yours. hopefully somebody more knowledgeable sees this.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:23 AM
happens to me.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:40 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
GM syncromesh will take care of it.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:15 AM
should i still take it to the dealer and talk to them about it or just switch to the syncromesh and call it a day? also will the dealer say anything if they find out im using the gm stuff instead of honda stuff?

Old 11-08-2007, 04:12 AM
ya i have that happen to me when i got the car new, and it still some times do that. (jsut because i am lazy and don't push the clutch all the way down) i am jsut planing to get the magentic drain plugs for my car. cuz i don't really think switching oil makes that much of a diffence...
i'll try it next time or something. cuz if i am going to switch oils, i would want to flush the system. jsut because i am picking and don't really have a life
HAHA

peace out

Old 11-08-2007, 09:19 AM
I too have noticed it...especially on cold mornings. Makes me wonder about the quality of the trans fluid Honda puts in these transmissions.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:12 AM
If there are a few of you experiencing this, I suggest it MAY not be your shifting skills (or lack thereof).

I just bought an 08 SSM sport mt, so i have no frame of reference regards the Fit, BUT I also own an S2000. The 2nd gear grind was a common problem on the 2000 - 20001 AP1 models and was eventually addressed (with much complaint from the s2k community) by Honda with a TSB.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:01 AM
The car the i currently drive has the same issue with the tranny but it is not only on cold morning starts it is every day. There has been nothing done with the RSX tranny as far as switching up any thing. All that I can suggest to do is go with the GM syncromesh or go with Royal Purple tranny fluid. That is what I use and I will not put honda fluid in my tranny ever again becasue every time that I put it in the tranny fills like total crap. But with doing so I change my tranny fluid out every time that I change the oil which gets to be very expensive if you drive alot. Like I do with putting 3000 miles on my car in less than a month normally.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
weird.. i have never had this problem.... i only groun 2 grears... 3rd once and reverse once... bboth cuz i was a moron... well not really just still learin to drive it. the Fit was my first MT car...

Old 11-08-2007, 11:40 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
I have a S2000 and a Fit. If the Tranny is cold there is a slight grind. Shifting extremely slow will help it not to grind until it is warmed up. If you are experiencing grinding still try the syncromesh, it will most likely fix it. Dont take it to honda to do it cause they probably wont do it.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
A while back I remember reading, either here or another forum, that Honda had recently released a new formula MTF w/ a green label that S2000 owners were jumping on and giving high praise to. Anyone remember anything about this or have info? Would this be better than the Syncromesh? Anyone know the part or ID# for it?

Old 11-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Mine doesnt do that.... Ive got 16k on mine.
I have ground gears though, it happens to me when Im driving normal. Maybe I just get lazy and forgot to push in the clutch. Or not enough effort putting it in.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
You probably know this, but in case you don't, shifting more slowly should help keep it from grinding. Trying to jam it into gear really fast will definitely cause difficulties. And the Fit supposedly has a pretty short throw, even stock, so it would make it easier to shift too fast. I'm not having any problems with mine - it's notchier than I like, but I haven't had any grinding issues.

Wouldn't hurt to check your trans oil level, though.

Last edited by Fitty McFit; 11-08-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:54 PM
i checked the fluid when it first happened and now i check it every time i fill up at the gas station but it hasnt moved at all and looks fine. i also shift slow even under hard acceleration so its not that either. i will switch over to the syncromesh this weekend and keep everyone posted if it changes anything or not. If anyone has any other products that they think would work let me know so i can do some research and pick which one sounds best for my case.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Sometimes when first starting Fit it grinds in Second, but just thought it was laziness on my part. Prelude used to have same problem but that was attributed to floor mat sliding up behind the pedal.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
OK.. I do have something similar to report in my Fit but it's not exactly a "grind" - it's more like a surge/hesitation shifting from 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd when the car has just been started. The car kind of jumps and "slugs" (if that makes sense) for the first 2 or 3 shifts.

Anyone else?

Old 11-10-2007, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
Mine also used to grind when my car had only about 4000km on so I thought that it was just the gearbox which was still new. Now it doesnt do it anymore at all and Im on almost 16 000km.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by storm88000
OK.. I do have something similar to report in my Fit but it's not exactly a "grind" - it's more like a surge/hesitation shifting from 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd when the car has just been started. The car kind of jumps and "slugs" (if that makes sense) for the first 2 or 3 shifts.

Anyone else?
I have also noticed the surge/hesitation from 1st to 2nd, but so far, I have not noticed it from 2nd to 3rd. Based upon my limited experience, it happens for a short while after the "cold" engine lite goes out, but goes away when the car has reached finally reached normal operating temperature, if that makes any sense.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:48 PM
I didnt get a chance to change the tranny fluid over to the syncromesh this weekend like i was planning. I had to make a quick run up to Knoxville, tennesse. Well not exactly quick cause its 7 hours away but never had a problem with the syncro's acting up even with the hard downshifts threw the mountains passing big rigs. haha. This coming weekend i will change the fluid for sure and give the results of my findings.

Quick Reply: Shifting into 2nd occasional grind?