General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Noise when making sharp turn

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Noise when making sharp turn

The Fit has started making an odd clunking sound when making a sharp turn. Generally when turning in and out of the driveway. It kind of sounds similar to when you switch the vents from floor to dash real fast. Sounds like it is coming from the front driver's side.

Any educated guesses?

Old 11-26-2007, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
that usually means the CV joints in the axle has gone bad and u need a new axle. Take it in for warranty, but if u have lowering springs, take em off before taking them in cuz they might say the springs is the cause of the axle going bad.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:16 PM
That would suck it has less than 7k on it. No mods so, no worries there. It doesn't do in consistently so I am not 100% convinced it is the CV joint. I have had those go out in other cars and generally you can feel it in the steering wheel, which is not the case here. I will have to take it to the dealer and see if I can get it to do it for them.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:05 AM
Banned
With a new car it's most likely the discs brake calipers "moving" on their pins. Try making the turn without using your brakes then try it using the brakes to see if the noise is connected to braking. If it is this is normal the calipers just move around a little as they are floating type not solidly bolted to anything.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Good info thanks.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
Just don't turn so sharply! That should fix it.

Just kidding.

Is that your Speed Triple in your avatar?

Old 11-28-2007, 05:54 AM
hi bbarend, ı have same problem while ı turn a corner ı guess in front a huge sound like kkkkkkk but perhaps it axle today I'm going to service I'll tell u whats the problem hopefully

Old 11-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by Steeldog
Is that your Speed Triple in your avatar?
Yeah that's me and my bike, but it's a Suzuki SV not a Triumph. Obviously I stole some styling ideas from the Speed Triple, but kept some money in my pocket.

Dark Jazz, let me know what you find out. Thanks.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
another thing to keep in mind is that struts clunk when going bad

Old 11-30-2007, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
this same thing happened to me last night!!!! but i tred to get it to repead in a parking ot but it ddnt... i prolly wasnt going fast enough.... im gonna have it looked at... cars with 1800 miles rnt sposed to go KKKKKKKKKKK!

Old 05-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Anyone ever figure out what the problem was? Mine started doing this today as well. When I go really slow, say between 0-5 mpg it makes a clanking noise like when you put a bolt in an aluminum can then roll it. Once I get going the noise stops, then reappears when I brake.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
never happened to me again....

Old 07-28-2010, 09:11 AM
My car has 800 miles on it. When I make a right turn it makes a terrible clunking noise like something is going to fall off of it. Also, The tire pressure light is on. I drive my husband to the ferry in the morning and he thought the car had a flat. He got out and checked all the tires and the tires was fine. Then when I was driving home I made a sharp right turn at the bottom of a steep hill and the car made a terrible noise again. It sounded like something was going to fall off of it again. I am worried I got a lemon.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
If you are at full lock on the turn and on the throttle the CV joint that is getting the power is binding... If you are turned close to or at full lock on the steering and try to take off quickly the bind will cause the powered wheel to bounce and you will hear some horrible mechanical noises.. Just don't do full lock turns with the throttle pedal down and you will not here the noise... I scattered a CV joint all over the pavement once because of this. Extreme suspension drop or lift will cause premature failure of CV joints.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks for replying to me but I am not an extreme driver. I traded a Toyota Sienna minivan for a Honda Fit because my eyesight is not the greatest and I had trouble parking the minivan. My Toyota Sienna had 98k miles on it with no problems other than me hitting a mailbox because of my bad eyesight. I saw this Honda Fit and really liked it because it and because it had good mileage and I like the color purple.
I do live in an area with lots of hills and sharp turns. I am so upset with this Honda Fit Sport I have had this car a week and a half.
Do you think if the problem is what you think it is that I could drive it to the dealership? The dealership is 45 minutes from my house. Would you have the car towed?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:47 AM
purplehondafit How long have you been hearing the noise and did it first appear when the TPS light came on?

It's only when making right turns, correct. Are they full lock turns? That is do you turn the steering wheel all the way until it won't turn any more to make the right turn?

Try both left and right full lock turns in a parking lot and see if you hear a click-click noise. That's the sign of a bad CV joint.

Do you have AAA? They will tow to the dealer if your car is broke.

I would call the dealer and explain the situation. They'll most likely ask similar questions.

Hope this helps - come back with more questions if you have them.

K_C_

Old 07-28-2010, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
I am so sorry that what I said scared you....The noise you are hearing is in the front strut and normal for a new Fit... The sound will go away in time as the struts break in and the springs settle.... My car did the same thing and it worried me also until I figured it out.. What others were describing was a different thing and I should have quoted one of their post.... Again I apologize, the Fit is so small that things sound louder than they would in a larger car with better insulation....

Old 07-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
also remember that the entire strut turns left/right with your front tires when you make a turn. it's possible that the top mount bearing is binding for some reason and the mount is not turning with the rest of the strut forcing the spring to twist within the rubber mount.

in that case you will get a pretty loud clunking noise just by turning the steering wheel (do not need to be moving).

Old 07-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Red face

Do you like your Honda Fit? I am very upset something went wrong a week and a half after buying it. Do you have many problems with it? I thought they were cute cars and my old Civic never had problems. I traded it for a minivan because at the time I thought I needed a minivan. I love being able to park a small car. I just wondered how your Fit is doing?

Old 07-28-2010, 12:54 PM
My FIT is @ 6000 trouble free miles and 38MPG. I love it.

What are you doing re: the noise?

Quick Reply: Noise when making sharp turn