General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Does the fit have any common problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 03:20 AM
Does the fit have any common problems?

Everyone knows that the fit has been around for years all around the world, so what are its weak points? Does the fit have any common problems? Is there a list or thread of any known issues?

Old 12-09-2007, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member
Only known problems I know of are (on cars with the i-DSi engine):

- EGR valve can fail causing rough-running
- Failure of the CVT transmission (rare)
- Piston slap (again, rare to my knowledge)

Last edited by terryb; 12-09-2007 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
very minor, but noticed door panel buzzing when i turned up the stereo
a little bit. (not that loud).

mine does not buzz.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Thumbs down

rattles under dash. a lot of fit owners have these... me too

Old 12-09-2007, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
If you don't have rattles yet, just wait for cold (<40F) weather.

And some people have been complaining of about the 1-2 shift in the MT's.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by cojaro

And some people have been complaining of about the 1-2 shift in the MT's.
No shit, I thought I'm just being sloppy with my gear shifting. I noticed this too with my car with less than 1000 miles. If i shift from around maybe 2.5k to 4k from 1 to 2, it feels like I'm pulling the gear out of 1 early. Is there a thread about this already, can you post the link if you can.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Common problems definitely the paint and the cheap interior carpet plus some noise issues but other than that I just love this car!

Cat :x

Old 12-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Awesome guys, thanks for the info. I don't understand the "cheap paint" complaints, I've had my car for about 3 months now and the paint seems to be just fine, is it certain colors, or cold climates that cause this? I have a Blue fit and I live in LA, so it's summer year round, I won't be getting those dash rattles I guess .

Old 12-09-2007, 06:31 PM
the shifts from 1st-2nd are an easy fix if you switch over to gmsyncromesh (its a better tranny fluid). i posted a thread about it a few months ago and jdmchris told me and the others that had the problem about it. i know that many wont want to change there fluid over unless its due to be changed but i did and it seems to have fixed the problem. i just wish that i would have thought about buying a magnetic drain plug before i swapped the fluid. heres the thread if you want to read it.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...nal-grind.html

Last edited by jdjohnson9; 12-09-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my car is brand new, but drove it around yesterday in 15F temps and
no rattles/buzz (yet).

not sure wat you guys are talking about for 1-2 shift. mine is
butter smooth even in the cold. ive driven many different MT cars
and the Fit's gearbox is one of the smoother ones out there. drivetrain
is solid, no rubbery motor/tranny mount slop you'd get from other cars
in this price range.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
It's not really a rattle, it's more of a "everytime you hit a bump your dash sounds like its crunching apart" or at least that how i say it now. I just accept that the car is not made for winter and that even if i take it to the dealer 10 times (like last year) they never actually make the sound go away.
Normally its only -15C at this time but lately, its been -20-30c so today my glovebox wouldn't even close. But anyways back on topic, going from 1st to 2nd it sounds like i'm breaking in the shifter or like it's frozen but after it warms up, it goes away. Which normally takes 20mins longer then i drive.
Another problem but fixable for winter drivers is the block heater trips the car's computer but was fixed by the dealer within an hour of taking it in. Or at least it hasn't come on again (engine light wise).

Old 12-11-2007, 06:11 PM
I live in Ohio and I've got an 08' Fit. During the very cold weather we had last week I never had any underdash rattles.

Is your glove box hard to close? It seems to be easing up as time goes by but man! it was pretty hard to close there the first couple hundred times.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by Halcyon
It's not really a rattle, it's more of a "everytime you hit a bump your dash sounds like its crunching apart" or at least that how i say it now.

It's the same here! JDM fits are the same, mine does that "crunching apart" sound too when I drive over bridges that have like a little bump,... it bugs the hell outta me, I slow right the hell down if I see them ahead of time.

OT: BTW, I am from (used to be) Winnipeg too.
Called home the other day, mom said it was snowing and cold.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
my dash rattles too once in a while, but i wouldn't really consider that a problem with this car since it's so miniscule haha.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bibi147
rattles under dash. a lot of fit owners have these... me too
i haven't experienced it... and hope to not get this.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:37 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Was about -25c here last week, I didn't have any rattles. I did notice my horn sounds retarded in cold weather though... kind of like a wounded duck.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 12-12-2007 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Cat
Common problems definitely the paint and the cheap interior carpet plus some noise issues but other than that I just love this car!

Cat :x
1. No dead pedal

2. No center arm rest.

No excuse for this.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hiroko12
1. No dead pedal

2. No center arm rest.

No excuse for this.
Even though its not neccessarily a technical issue, I agree with the above! Especially since the JDM center console is absolutely awesome and we got totally gyped! Zetaproducts.net has been kind enough to provide a dead pedal solution, but c'mon Honda... you market a car that is ideal for roadtrips and exudes comfort (refresh mode is clutch) and you leave out such a basic creature comfort!!!!

I haven't had any problems with shifting 1-2 gears, but I agree, gm synchromesh does work wonders as I have used it in previous cars. Unless I notice a problem though I'll hold off til it's time for a change - my magnetic drain plugs are waiting patiently for that time!

side note: the tranny already has a big magnetic built in to it, so I doubt my new skunk2 bolt will do much, but it's extra insurance. I'm sure that I'll get some kind of benefit, albeit small, from my mag. oil drain plug though...
A problem to note that hasn't been mentioned yet:
The vinyl black trim on the door pillars is prone to peeling, however I've been lucky so far. It is covered by warranty, however if you have aftermarket window visors, i.e. mugen or similar (like me) hopefully you won't encounter the peeling because they'll have to remove your visors. it seems this is more common in late 06-early 07 models, I got mine Q4 of 07 some I'm hoping they up'd the QC on the vinyl/materials.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by sevenaprils
I haven't had any problems with shifting 1-2 gears, but I agree, gm synchromesh does work wonders as I have used it in previous cars. Unless I notice a problem though I'll hold off til it's time for a change - my magnetic drain plugs are waiting patiently for that time!

side note: the tranny already has a big magnetic built in to it, so I doubt my new skunk2 bolt will do much, but it's extra insurance. I'm sure that I'll get some kind of benefit, albeit small, from my mag. oil drain plug though...
A problem to note that hasn't been mentioned yet:
The vinyl black trim on the door pillars is prone to peeling, however I've been lucky so far. It is covered by warranty, however if you have aftermarket window visors, i.e. mugen or similar (like me) hopefully you won't encounter the peeling because they'll have to remove your visors. it seems this is more common in late 06-early 07 models, I got mine Q4 of 07 some I'm hoping they up'd the QC on the vinyl/materials.
i completely agree with the drain plugs not doing to much to help but im all about the extra insurance. mine are waiting patiently aswell. i forgot to bring my oil plug when i had honda change my oil last week.

im still good on rattles but im losing the battle on blown speakers . i have never taken my stereo over 15 and i have the bass way down but my passenger speaker went a couple weeks ago and now my driver side is starting to buzz. luckily the dealership near me is pretty easy to work with and they have both on order now. im gonna go aftermarket soon enough though

Old 12-16-2007, 09:51 PM
I get mild dash rattle on cold mornings(every morning since it's winter), don't notice it after awhile or it goes away.

Glove compartment opens and closes perfectly.. no resistance or anything.. almost feels like it's not gonna stay up but it does.

Had that CEL problem with block heater plugged in during start, was fixed at dealership to not happen again.

Quick Reply: Does the fit have any common problems?