General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

2008 Fit Sport MT for a stick shift noob?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:40 AM
2008 Fit Sport MT for a stick shift noob?

Hi guys,

I've been following this website quite a lot and I've decided my next car should be a Fit Sport. Went to a local Honda dealer, checked out the Fit in AT, and it was a great ride. I can't imagine how a MT feels like!

So why am I considering a MT if I've never driven one before...
Well the first reason is obvious, it's about a thousand dollars cheaper.
Next it's more fuel efficient and from what I hear, it feels a little more powerful than the AT, so more fun to drive.
I consider myself as a pretty quick learner, and a patient person. I love to learn, and get good at things.
Now, I've heard bad things about driving MT, such as driving in places where traffic is always persistent, going up hills, and all that stuff.
But, overall, I think the benefits outweigh the cons.

I'm in no rush right now because I won't be getting the car until June of this year. But the problem is, none of my close friends here at my university drives/knows how to drive a stick shift car. My old pal is coming from NorCal this summer and he told me he is willing to go pick the car up with me and teach me from there on.

So how challenging is learning MT anyways? I know it's a question that's going to get a lot of subjective answers, but at least I'll have some sort of an idea. I was recommended to watch youtube tutorials on driving a MT car. It didn't seem that hard, but I know it'll feel totally different when I actually try it myself. What I am most afraid is damaging the car. So my question to you guys is... put yourself in my shoes, would you get the manual? And, if you guys can share about your MT learning experiences, that'll be awesome.

Thanks,

live2express

Old 03-31-2008, 01:48 AM
The Fits MT is actually imo pretty easy to learn on. I have driven mostly manuals in my life but with the fit it was easy to get in and get used to. I love mine. I was very surprised to find that at a dead stop you can actually let the clutch out all the way without pushing the accelerator and it wont kill. It has to be on a flat surface and you cant have the ac on of course but it was still very surprising to me. I think you will do fine it just takes a little bit to get used to. I just found out from the wife the other day that she wants to learn too so i am coming up with a "teach the wifey how to drive a manual class". haha. It should be very interesting. Good luck on the learning. If you have any questions just ask. Im sure there are many that are willing to help with info as well.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:30 AM
The clutch is very forgiving on this car. It is very easy to learn on. Just hang in there and remember that it will take you a few weeks to get used to it.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
i learned on my fit... i drove stick like 3 times befor n a parking lot... so i was a total noob... if you have a friend to teach you go for the MT! its a blast, it took me about a week befor i was comfortable in heavy traffic and big hills, you just have to learn to feel the clutch... will you put some wear on the car learning... yes, but its not going to break the car, especialy if you have some one teaching you. i wouldnt worry.. its an easy car to learn on, and you will have a blast! and i would recomnd the learn to dirve videos.. as well as reading about ant MT car and how and why the clutch works at a mechanical level... but reading can only take you so far...doing is the only way to learn! good luck and keep us posted! and welcome to Fitfreak!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Firebat666
how the clutch works
Honestly when I first started driving stick I thought I'd never pick it up. but after I sat down and read about how a clutch and MT transmission works I had a much better picture of how it all works, and within 2 days I had it down to a science

Old 03-31-2008, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
was pretty much the same for me... getting an idea of the mechanical workings really helped

Old 03-31-2008, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
when i learned how to drive i found it easier to have the right shoes. like some kind of tennis shoes something, where you can feel the pedals, unlike a boot, for example. Also practice, practice is the best thing.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:38 PM
when you start practicing then get a feel for it in an open parking lot and get the feel of the first gear bc you dont want to stall on the streets.

When i first started driving then i will admit that i stalled when i was learning. Im sure you will stall too, it is inevitable, but just practice so you can get over it. Soon enough yo will start competing your FIT in autoX.

Last edited by BlackCobra; 03-31-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:24 PM
you'll do fine if you've got a friend helping you. i learned 2 summers ago. my dad drove with me out to yellowstone and he dropped himself off at the airport nearby, tossed me the keys and said "here you go, learn to drive it." doh! that was on a 94 accord. i think on average i stalled that thing about twice a month. not a really friendly car, especially to a self-taught shift-it-yourselfer.

then i get my Fit about 6 months ago. haven't stalled it yet. the clutch on this car is so insanely forgiving and easy to drive. i don't think you'll regret it...

also, you said "put myself in your shoes..." i'd highly recommend picking up a pair of dedicated driving shoes. i can't drive my car with tennis shoes or my dress/work shoes as they are too wide and hit 2 pedals at once. anything with a thin sole (to feel the clutch) and fit close around your foot without a bunch of excess sole sticking off the side should be great. on that same note, if you switch back and forth between shoes each day, you'll have a harder time shifting smoothly. between my 4 pairs of driving shoes, there's a difference of about 8 millimeters worth of sole thickness and it affects how smooth i am (especially when i was learning).

good luck broseph!

Old 03-31-2008, 01:30 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Id suggest learning on another car before the Fit. The Fit clutch doesnt last very long, as some posts can show you.

Learning on a clutch that doesnt last long to begin with would mean an even shorter life. Theres a member that posted on here that learned on his Fit. His clutch lasted to 10,000miles. And since its a wear item, its not covered under warranty.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
Id suggest learning on another car before the Fit. The Fit clutch doesnt last very long, as some posts can show you.

Learning on a clutch that doesnt last long to begin with would mean an even shorter life. Theres a member that posted on here that learned on his Fit. His clutch lasted to 10,000miles. And since its a wear item, its not covered under warranty.

are you serious? 10K? that's it?!? my accord had 205k miles on the stock clutch, and 4 people have learned on it... someone needs to L2Drive

Old 03-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Theres a few threads from people that have driven nothing but 5 and 6speed cars.
Clutches going out at 25,000miles. Then a few people have over 35,000miles on theirs holding fine.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:16 PM
this seriously varries just like how people get different MPG. Sounds frusterating for those who has to replace their clutch early.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
shit man....if you live in la jolla...as in san diego. you shouldnt have a problem.

i think the fit has one of the easiest clutches to learn on besides a civic.

if you buy the car. ill help you learn how.

i would get a manual. to be honest, you need to drive it everyday to get used to it. its hard driving an automatic, and then "trying" to learn how to drive stick once or twice and then go back to the automatic. you will know where your "sweet spot" is.

just get the car, you will get it by the end of the week.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:22 PM
Go for It

You shouldn't have too much trouble learning. I taught my wife a few years ago, and I think she got it in about two sessions. I think everybody ought to know how to drive a MT, just in case. It's a good life skill.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:29 PM
I dont think you would have any problems. The only time I an AT was during my driving classes. After that my dad taught me twice in his MT Bimmer and I got the hang of it and that clutch was stiff. But you might need someone that knows how to drive MT in the car when your getting use to it. I had to keep asking my dad if I was in the right gear and all. But after awhile you should be fine. I really like it over an AT, seems boring to me. But I hate driving up hill from a complete stop half way up on a MT hah.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
Id suggest learning on another car before the Fit.
i agree with this. why would you want to mess up your new cars transmission? practice on a beater

Old 03-31-2008, 03:31 PM
response in green belowVVV

Originally Posted by live2express
Hi guys,

I've been following this website quite a lot and I've decided my next car should be a Fit Sport. Went to a local Honda dealer, checked out the Fit in AT, and it was a great ride. I can't imagine how a MT feels like!
They both can be fun and usefull. You will probably dig the manual though, its pretty nice when its not missbehaving (I seem to be unfortunate recipient of a slightly off tolerant MT)

So why am I considering a MT if I've never driven one before...
Well the first reason is obvious, it's about a thousand dollars cheaper.
Yeah that sure doesn't hurt either
Next it's more fuel efficient and from what I hear, it feels a little more powerful than the AT, so more fun to drive.
It's probably more efficient most of the time, but not all (the AT has taller gears but has more rotational mass)
It did felt a bit more powerful than the AT to me, not by a ton but it was noticeable. I test drove quite a few AT's and MT's before and even after I bought my MT. As far as being more fun to drive thats uber subjective, I dig it, but many have really gotten into the paddles on the AT!
I consider myself as a pretty quick learner, and a patient person. I love to learn, and get good at things.
Thats great, you should pick it up rather easily then.
Now, I've heard bad things about driving MT, such as driving in places where traffic is always persistent, going up hills, and all that stuff.
But, overall, I think the benefits outweigh the cons.
Once you are competent at it those things are less of a big deal. It will always take more effort but it is easily mitigated by driving style and having the control that you would like.

I'm in no rush right now because I won't be getting the car until June of this year. But the problem is, none of my close friends here at my university drives/knows how to drive a stick shift car. My old pal is coming from NorCal this summer and he told me he is willing to go pick the car up with me and teach me from there on.
Hmmmm..... there is no one else around to show you? Bummer, well keep yours eyes open maybe someone else you know can show you as well.

So how challenging is learning MT anyways?
Not very if taught right. I learned it in about Five minutes in a classic mini over ten years ago.
I know it's a question that's going to get a lot of subjective answers, but at least I'll have some sort of an idea. I was recommended to watch youtube tutorials on driving a MT car.
Thats good! I am sure there are other tutorials online as well, the more you learn the easier it will be to a point.
It didn't seem that hard, but I know it'll feel totally different when I actually try it myself.
True but the concept is the important part and getting your coordination down when in person is what you might want to focus on more.
What I am most afraid is damaging the car.
Learning to drive stick on any car is not good for the clutch, but having said that the damage should not be huge at all, unless it takes your forever to learn or you dont keep practicing.
So my question to you guys is... put yourself in my shoes, would you get the manual?
If I were in your shoes I would learn first then decide
And, if you guys can share about your MT learning experiences, that'll be awesome.
My fist MT experience was anticlimactic and would not be a worthwhile read. (note the five minute part)
But I will tell you about my Fit adaptation after years of driving many manuals.
The Fit seems very sensitive and has the drive by wire control (DBW)
Which I must say I am not a fan and made my transition less than desireable. But If you have never driven manual before then I really, really think you would not care/notice. I am used to driving older MT's and to me they felt more direct, and I had more control over them with tactile feel. Having said that the Fit is very forgiving, but I seem to have had bad luck in getting mine. I Have test driven a handful of MT's before and after mine that drove worlds better, so I would suggest maybe a test of two MT Fits, as maybe there is some sample variation going on here. I recently took it out (finally) on an ever so needed lead foot jaunt on the freeway and it has been behaving nicely ever since. It shifts smoother now feels worlds different! Still has some little issues but I might be able to live with those now.

Thanks,

live2express
I too have heard some not so good stories about the Fits clutch not lasting long, and it does not inspire confidence in me. But hey it has not given up the ghost yet (only @ about 3k so far though) It doesnt feel robust to me, but I have driven vehicles much worse, and this is a Honda so for the most part we should be ok.

Oh BTW ppl my fit wont go in 1st no matter how gentle I release the clutch w/o gas. Level road or not! It will when its not warmed up though as it idles higher. But when warmed up it doesnt stand a chance. It could just be mine though. I would certainly believe it I have been able to do this in many other cars though (its in NO way a big deal, just thought I should mention it)

Old 03-31-2008, 03:32 PM
I drove my cousin's Si about three times, 30 minutes per session and then I bought my MT Fit. So I pretty much learned MT on my Fit. At first it was a pain learning how to drive stick and driving in rush hour traffic but now it's second nature and I enjoy it. I admit, though, it does kinda suck in really heavy traffic. If I lived back in my hometown of SoCal and my Fit was my daily driver (currently in Philly), I might prefer the auto tranny.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:40 PM
My fit also sometimes is difficult to shift into 1st after sitting at a light or something. I figured out that if you put it into 2nd first and then into 1st with the clutch in, this problem disappears, cold or warmed up. Try it! By the way, my car has 46,000 miles on it (I just bought it used) and does have a replaced clutch. However, I have no idea how bad the previous owner's shifting technique was, so I cannot comment on the durability of the clutch. I drove a 1995 Saab 900 to 153,000 miles on the original clutch with no problems, so I don't expect any problems the way I drive.

I would not hesitate to buy the manual fit, especially if you have a friend to teach you. It's a very forgiving car to drive. I'd recommend starting in an empty parking lot. First, sitting with the parking brake on and the clutch all the way in, familiarize yourself with where each gear is with the shift lever (you don't want to hit reverse by accident while moving!) Second, practice using the clutch in first gear without giving the car any gas. This will help you to learn where the clutch engages on the car. Once you have this down, everything will be much easier. Going up hills from a stop is not really that hard, you just need to remember that you will need to give the car slightly more gas and release the clutch slower to avoid stalling. I've found that this car is very difficult to stall (a great thing!) due to it's low gearing. I just finished teaching my girlfiend to drive manual on my car, she's still not that smooth yet, but she can drive the car fine. She got it in a few hours in a parking lot and small back roads. Just make sure you've had some practice before you go driving in city traffic. Good luck!

Last edited by ClaytonS15; 03-31-2008 at 03:47 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 Fit Sport MT for a stick shift noob?