General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

STOCK Air Filter vs. K&N

Old 04-21-2008, 08:38 AM
STOCK Air Filter vs. K&N

UPDATE: Stock = 45.9mpg K&N = 46.8 Stock = 47.1mpg

What does it all mean?
Well, I guess that it really means that the filters are the same. I think the variation is small between tests and would just call them equal. With that said remember the stock filter has ~15k on it and the new K&N is new, however, I did not reset the ecu to let the car relearn.........whether that would make a big difference I don't know. What I do know is that I will use the new filter and keep the stock for back up when I need to clean the K&N.

I just order my K&N Air filter with recharge kit this weekend for $39 shipped(cheap). I will be conducting a little testing of my own to see if their is any difference for mpg between the two, like "pcs0snq" suggested.

Hopefully, I will be able to get 2 tanks of gas in before the filter arrives. This tank of gas will not yield that great of mpg since I drove like a jackass on Friday. I am utilizing the FAS technique, pumped up the tire pressure to 50psi, washed the car yesterday, and I just bang out my current stock air filter yesterday(literally and dirt/dust came out; I know the best test would be to conduct this on a new stock air filter, but I am not wasting the money and my current stock air filter has about 14K on it).
Some other tid bits:

My oil is at 40% life expectancy
I did not drive the FIT this weekend(rarely due)
Had the tires rotated and balanced Saturday(so I drove it about 8miles for that, I know, liar! )

Also, I am currently trying to run 3 miles during the week for my lunch break so I can drop about 10-15lbs. I weighed in at 164 lbs. this morning. Age is a mofo!

Last edited by pb and h; 05-09-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
If you read the back in the picture where it says it'll provide 10% increase in MPG, there's an asterisk. It says that 10% is only if you're replacing a dirty paper filter. This means that the improvement will be less than 10% if you're replacing a clean paper filter with a K&N filter.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gordio
If you read the back in the picture where it says it'll provide 10% increase in MPG, there's an asterisk. It says that 10% is only if you're replacing a dirty paper filter. This means that the improvement will be less than 10% if you're replacing a clean paper filter with a K&N filter.
Tricky bastards, Always with the fine print...

Old 04-21-2008, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pb and h
I will be conducting a little testing of my own to see if their is any difference for mpg between the two, like "pcs0snq" suggested.

Hopefully, I will be able to get 2 tanks of gas in before the filter arrives.
The A-B-A would require you to:
  1. get a std tank with old filter,
  2. install new K&N and get a tank,
  3. than replace the old and get a 2nd tank with the old. The order is important.
The filter pops in and out in about 2 min so all you need to do is hang onto the old, if you still want to fairly test the filters Eco value.......

PS During the 3 tank test if you want the results to be good, you can't make any other changes and should be consistent how you drive.

Yep it's a decent commitment!

Last edited by pcs0snq; 04-21-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:16 AM
I agree, I am getting better at FASing(I know what a dork) which is why I wanted to get at least 2 tanks in before the new filter. I will get at least 2 tanks in before the new filter seeing how it won't be shipped until the 24th! Damn internet stores! Oh, well maybe I will become consistant at FASing.

I have figured out the best way for me to FAS:

-Put car in neutral
-Let rpms drop to 1k or the lowest they will drop at whatever speed
-turn key to off
-let mph drop to 0(zero)
-Immediately turn key to on position
-pop clutch when needed

This requires about 1.5sec of coasting in neutral while car is on and it only requires about .5-.75 sec of the car being completely off(not clocking mileage)

I might even make up for me driving like a jackass on Friday. I am trying to go a little slower when people aren't trying to run me over.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Update for todays tank:

Name:  IMG00096.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  32.9 KB
*That is 8.303 gallons, the blackberry can only do so much

Again, I didn't wait until the gas light came on. I did drive like a jackass on Friday, on the way home, doing 80mph and accelerating fast which includes shifting in the 4k and 5k rpm range(gotta do it every now and then). So, I tried to make up for it this week. I did some what seeing how I achieved 45.8mpg! I am getting better at FASing, it does take a lot of concentration since there is a lot going on and talking on the phone is not conducive to good FASing( I forgot my car was off one time )

With todays tank I have decided, if I want to have as little variables as possible affecting this air filter study, that I would stop FASing and use cruise control(CC) whenever possible, trying to be consistent with each tank. I am still learning the art of FASing and consistent with it I am not.

Now, I just hope the filter ships out tomorrow and I receive it before the next fill up.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
there is no way...if driving fast at all can you get 45.

i drove like a grandpa on the road, at 65 and 63 the whole time cruise control in my 5 speed car. and only top at 40.3

straight away tooo.

thats with my cold air. i noticed a 5 mpg drop when i put the stock filter back on.

and then i changed over to the k&n filter drop in and got 38.9.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
you must have over filled it the first time. Then only filled it till the knock off the second time. We are not stupid.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
Great Eco PBand h

Do you do FASing at night?

Old 04-23-2008, 09:48 PM
WOOOO tigers!

Let me clarify things. I said, "........on the way home" which is about 60 miles. In that sixty miles I drove maybe 1/2 at 80 and the other half from 60-70 with getting on the gas every chance I could(had to break loose of all the FASing).

I am not trying to fool anyone, I have no reason to.

I have filled up at the same pump to the first click on the last 3 or 4 tanks.

As for FASing at night, I typically do not drive my car after 6:30-7PM but if I did I would. Since, I am driving without FASing for this tank, I notice myself trying to FAS........already addicted to it!

Old 04-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Oh, another note:

My oil life is at 30% and I don't know how much longer it will last before I need to change it.........so, I might have to change oil in the middle of the filter testing or this tank rather. I will see and keep the thread up dated.

pcs0snq - have you ever tested out 89 octane before? I ask because you have a scan gauge and you would get almost instant results. I am still thinking about testing it again after the filter testing since I have become a better eco driver.

Also, I remember a post of yours saying, while coasting in 5th gear the injectors start spraying fuel at 30mph(i use that on a daily basis). Do you have data on where the injectors come back on in other gears? That would be very helpful.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:03 PM
The filter has shipped it is some where in the sky( I am guessing ) between CA and SC. I have been using the A/C for the past 2 days on the way home.......too damn hot. I put the A/C on the coldest setting and the lowest fan speed(1). I have at least 1/3 of a tank left and I have 320miles on it..... this is looking like the time I got 50mpg but couldn't explain why. My oil life is now at 30% but the oil couldn't have degraded that much. We will find out monday.

Time to go camping at Cumberland Island now.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
I know it will be hard to resist installing your filter when it arrives, but you are changing things and to look for that small expected change, you will have to test with normal conditions. Just a suggestion. ie current fill is not A #1

As you are entering A/C time. Just run the A/C for the 3 test tanks and that should take that variable out of the mix.

So finish this tank get the oil changed and run one more tank with old filter than the new than the old.

BTW On the 1st A with old filter, suggest you take it out and knock off the dirt if it has any.

As for me testing 89 or 93. I do not see me doing that. I do not think it make any sense to be honest. Even if it made some small difference, it would not pan out wit the additional cost per gal. My repeatability with the car with tank fill data or SG is not great and can vary +/-1mpg. If I get my route nailed down and it gets more repeatable, maybe I'll spring for the test to put that myth to bed once and for all or... eat my shoe lol

I think my 1st test on mine will be my home brew water vapor injection deal. I have many fills now to support a 42 mpg avg and my A/C season is about to start. When it's full A/C time and the eco falls to the new avg I will do that test.

PS Why are you not entering more than that one 8gal fill on clean mpg? That would be a great database to document your testing. It has the note area just for stuff like that.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
You should read this:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...periences.html

BITOG is about the best source for straight non www BS you can find.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:56 AM
I will do what you suggest. I think it will be more precise, however, I may not need the A/C on this week. Damn screwy weather.

As for the K&N I have read good and bad reviews. I am getting it for reuse. I have had good experience with them.

As for cleanmpg.com, time, I don't have much of it and I have plenty on my plate.

Well, though this doesn't count for the A-B-A test here are my last tanks results:

Name:  IMG00097.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  IMG00098.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  37.0 KB

That is 8.111 gallons at fill up. I have used the same pump for the last 3-4 tanks. That yields 47.5mpg! woot woot. I did not FAS and I used A/C on the way home only(~60miles from 5-6:30PM) every time but the A/C was on the coldest setting using the lowest fan speed. I used CC whenever possible. Which means I only lost 0.2mpg from my best FASing. If this is always the case then I will not use the annoying FASing. I will soon see for I will see about changing my oil tonight and start on a fresh oil change to see if the degradation of the oil(oil life is at 30% still) is causing the increased mpg.

Last edited by pb and h; 04-28-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Well, I finally received my filter and recharge kit last night. I am half way through with this tank and I will change my oil when I fill up next. I will bang out any dirt/dust from the stock filter and start the first of the testing with fresh oil and a semi-clean stock air filter upon changing the oil.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Ok, I have a change in plans since I am at 30% oil life still, I just put in the K&N air filter this morning after filling up. I have not changed the oil yet. I hopefully I can get two more tanks before the oil life changes. I will post any changes.

So, here is my mpg for the last tank:

Name:  IMG00099.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  46.3 KB
Name:  IMG00100.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  25.9 KB

Again, the gallons are 8.523 which yields 45.9mpg. I attribute the decrease mpg due to a few extra errands that I had to run for work where one included taking some one with me. However, this is still good mpg. Again, I used the A/C on the trips home at the coldest setting with the lowest fan speed and I always run my A/C on the recirculation/recycle option.

Notes:
When replacing the stock air filter with the new K&N air filter, I couldn't help but notice how damn oily the K&N filter is(quite messy) and there was even some residual red oil in the plastic sealed bag the filter came in. I listened(no radio) to the car the next 3 miles to work to see if I could hear or observe any unsual differences. I notice nothing different.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Well, this morning the Oil life is at 20%. I will keep driving until it is time to change the oil. If I have to start the test over then I will. No big deal.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Well, I am still at 20% oil life which means I have put 7K miles on this mobile 1 synthetic.

update on the K&N filter run:
Name:  IMG00101.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  57.6 KB
Name:  IMG00103.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  36.7 KB

So, that is 46.8mpg. I am very pleased with this considering I did some extra driving in the city this weekend and the temperature has been about 10 degrees higher(in the 80's vs. the 70's). I actually thought I would get worse mpg. The gas light came on at 405miles which is obviously premature(if one assumes 1.7 gallons left when the gas light comes on) but expected, since, I encounter hills on my way to work.

I switched back to the stock air filter(which now has about 15K miles on it) at the gas station. I wish I had a clean stock air filter for the new vs. new.

P.S. I weighed in at 162.8 lbs this morning.

Last edited by pb and h; 05-06-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:10 PM
Those are good numbers, but that's very hard to believe. I drive normal with minimal hypermiling and all I can get is 37-38mpg and that is with 10.xx gallons per fill.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: STOCK Air Filter vs. K&N