General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

STOCK Air Filter vs. K&N

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Its hard to believe that most people are getting 35-50 mpg. You are either lying, do not drive in the city at all or youre the person that I blow by when im doing 90 on the parkway and youre sitting there in the fast lane doing 45.
I think i can get better than the 33 that ive been getting though. This is using 93 octane and redlining every gear all the time.
I would never put that junk K&N in my car. I notcied that MAF and MAP sensors are getting clogged and filmy from the oil thats on them. No matter how hard you try your cannot get it all off.
Havent searched for the "green" filter yet but that is the best one. NO OIL!. Another way that I havent seen mentioned here is resetting the battery. The vehicle learns in the long run but resetting the battery after doing anything to the engine makes a huge difference.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Evil XT
Its hard to believe that most people are getting 35-50 mpg. You are either lying, do not drive in the city at all or youre the person that I blow by when im doing 90 on the parkway and youre sitting there in the fast lane doing 45.
I think i can get better than the 33 that ive been getting though. This is using 93 octane and redlining every gear all the time.
I would never put that junk K&N in my car. I notcied that MAF and MAP sensors are getting clogged and filmy from the oil thats on them. No matter how hard you try your cannot get it all off.
Havent searched for the "green" filter yet but that is the best one. NO OIL!. Another way that I havent seen mentioned here is resetting the battery. The vehicle learns in the long run but resetting the battery after doing anything to the engine makes a huge difference.
35-40 is not hard to believe for a a Honda fit. I guess you don't own one, buy one and find out if we are lying. 45 and up mpg, now that's hard to believe. I've been trying my best to get higher mpg but the best I could do was 38.xmpg and I drive normal-fast. Maybe if I get more mileage in my Fit my mpg will get better, I only have 7700 in my '08 fit

Old 05-08-2008, 01:05 PM
haha, I am the slow one but not in the fast lane. I am the slow one that passes you as you sit at the red light that just turned green.
Timing is everything.

When I take off at a green light the car in front of me usually ends up 5 lengths ahead of me when I finally reach the speed limit. I am in no hurry, if I am 5-10min late to work then it is no big deal.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Final results are in:

Name:  IMG00105.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  37.6 KB

That is 8.1 gallons used which yields 47.1mpg!

Well, I guess that really means that the filters are the same. I think the variation is small between tests and would just call them equal. With that said remember the stock filter has ~15k on it and the new K&N is new, however, I did not reset the ecu to let the car relearn.........whether that would make a big difference I don't know. What I do know is that I will use the new filter and keep the stock for back up when I need to clean the K&N.

My next challenge is to try the pulse and glide which would require using FAS. With this I want to try to reach 60mpg or come as close as I can. I will attempt to use every trick in the book from NOT using the A/C (assuming I can't stand it) to turning the car off at lights, and going 10mph under the speed limit(assuming I don't get run off the road). I will post up my results if worthy.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Evil XT
Yes it is true that a K&N filter and cause problems with oil on your MAF and MAP but that is only if you go overboard with the re-oiling. If this does happen, it is possible to clean these parts however it must be done carefully (i would suggest taking it in). But if you want to attempt it yourself use an electrical contact cleaner and a very fine brush (like a make-up brush). But just don't be dumb and and follow the manufacturers guidelines for the amount of oil to use, let it dry thoroughly and check your sensors periodically.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:53 PM
I won't be using any more K&N filters.
I have three of them in the garage.
These filters let in a lot of dust and do not filter air better than the stock filter.
Lots of us diesel owners don't run them for that reason.
And I took the one out of my FJ40. Let in to much dust.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
Warning about K&N type of filters