General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Dear Honda: Recall The Dash Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:03 AM
5 Year Member
Dear Honda: Recall The Dash Rattle

Dear Honda,

The majority of us Honda Fit owners seem to have this weird rattle in the dash. The noise mainly occurs when it is cold. Please take the time to look for this noise, come up with a fix for it, and then send out a recall notice.

Thank You,

Old 04-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
but the rattle adds character to the car

Old 04-24-2008, 08:04 PM
Indeed I hear alot of complaints about that, but I am not sure that warrants a recall notice from Honda. I don't think I have ever owned a car that has avoided rattles either all the time (very minor mind you) or horrible ones from time to time.

Having said all that though, I do not have the dash rattle that often (mines comes from the bottom left of the steering column and behind the gauges from time to time, when it is cold or has not been used lately)
However I have tons, and I mean TONS of other rattles that piss me off to no end in this car.
-driver side seat belt hangar
-passenger side seat belt hangar
-drivers side door jam
-passengers side door jam
-drivers side door arm rest
-rear right side middle of door area
-rear left side bottom of door jam area
-right side behind rear passenger seat by the floor
-rear by the hatch on the floor

phew!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by dbcmaster
Dear Honda,

The majority of us Honda Fit owners seem to have this weird rattle in the dash. The noise mainly occurs when it is cold. Please take the time to look for this noise, come up with a fix for it, and then send out a recall notice.

Thank You,
Haha, if only Honda would listen to what we have to say...
I HATE my dash rattles sooo much.

Tyler

Old 04-24-2008, 10:08 PM
J_L
5 Year Member
Wow, that's a big list. I must be lucky 'cause I've only got one mild rattle when on rough asphalt. Sounds like the beginning of the infamous dash rattle though...

Old 04-24-2008, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
I have the dash, and seatbelt hangar rattle too. Honda please fix!

Old 04-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
This is a common problem for a lot of cars (even more so in the cold). Its just something you have to live with. You can try to add some cushion or insulation material in crevices and it may reduce rattle.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX
This is a common problem for a lot of cars (even more so in the cold). Its just something you have to live with. You can try to add some cushion or insulation material in crevices and it may reduce rattle.
Yeah but i wouldnt expect it out of a 100% built in Japan Honda.
My 96 Teg doesnt rattle, and my 08 Scion xD still has not had one rattle.

Tyler

Old 04-26-2008, 03:03 PM
my 08 fit has the rattles. honda, find a cure!

Old 04-27-2008, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
damet honda!we need a dash from better materials!i miss my civic's vinyl wrapped interior,not a single rattle from a 15 year old car

Old 04-28-2008, 04:23 AM
dash rattle??

am i the only one who doesnt have this rattling issue? I didnt know the dash rattle was this prevalent... i've driven the car forever and i havent heard/noticed any rattles, even during cold weather, and with no music on.

i have a lemon...

Old 04-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
has anyone thought that the rattling might be coming from the cords under the dash/steering column tapping/vibrating against the plastic. (where the fuse box is-inside)???

Old 04-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by WTFit?

i have a lemon...

hahahah lol... made me laugh

Old 05-01-2008, 10:41 PM
We get a lot of stuff like this where I work and I even remember a Fit coming in with a similar issue. There's some bracket way back on the firewall that may be causing the rattle. I think the tech who was working on it ended up bending the bracket away from the firewall and insulating it with some foam tape.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:55 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
i noticed it at first but now its gone, maybe it was the cold weather, or that it was new...
either way we are prolly so fixated on this ONE (dont listen to snapfit Lol jk) problem that we forget if we had another car there would be rattles, and noises all over the place-

in the end we have hondas and theres nothing to worry about

(whose side am i on? geese!) lol

Old 05-16-2008, 11:52 PM
there is a service bulletin from honda canada on a dash rattle, it will only be looked at with a customer complaint(as with ANY bulletin) it is not a recall. the only down side is the dash pretty much has to come out so the likelyhood of other rattles due to removing and reinstalling would increase.
the bulletin states of c clicking or creaking at the base of the window in freezing temp or on rough roads. i do not know if the bulletin exists in other countries, as many of you know just because something is a problem in one place does not make it a problem everywhere.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
Honda, Honda, Honda, what were you thinking? I purchased a Fit for your well-known fit and finish, your stellar reputation for classy workmanship. That poor little Honda Fit of mine and poor me that has to hear the creaks, buzzes and rattles on my 15 minute drive to work during these cold Midwest winters. I've taken the car back to my Honda dealer 3-4 times now. The first few sevice technicians said live with it, that this is just the way it is on the Fits when the car is cold. I couldn't take no for an answer. I went to the head technician. He heard the noise and thought the dome above the instrument panel needed some padding. So he put in some padding. Did it take the rattle out? Not a chance. The last thing I want to do is trade this car in for something else.
Honda, Honda, Honda, how I expected more of you. The plastic rattles in the dash are giving so many of us Fits that I wish you'd find a way to make this daily problem go away!

Last edited by cargirl2B; 01-20-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by cargirl2B
Honda, Honda, Honda, what were you thinking? I purchased a Fit for your well-known fit and finish, your stellar reputation for classy workmanship. That poor little Honda Fit of mine and poor me that has to hear the creaks, buzzes and rattles on my 15 minute drive to work during these cold Midwest winters. I've taken the car back to my Honda dealer 3-4 times now. The first few sevice technicians said live with it, that this is just the way it is on the Fits when the car is cold. I couldn't take no for an answer. I went to the head technician. He heard the noise and thought the dome above the instrument panel needed some padding. So he put in some padding. Did it take the rattle out? Not a chance. The last thing I want to do is trade this car in for something else.
Honda, Honda, Honda, how I expected more of you. The plastic rattles in the dash are giving so many of us Fits that I wish you'd find a way to make this daily problem go away!
That's why they call it the Fit, didn't ya know? Lol. It might almost be easier to have a friend ride with you to narrow down where the noise is and try to fix it yourself. I have an 09 and haven't had any issues except for the glovebox rattling on sharp bumps. Honda please figure this out.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:04 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
hahaha you guy have no idea what a dash rattle is.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Get a louder stereo. Fixes dash rattles, brake squeal, and annoying passengers.

Quick Reply: Dear Honda: Recall The Dash Rattle