General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

My take on the scan gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
My take on the scan gauge

Going with the price on their website (I realize you can get it cheaper, but it strengthens my argument to use their number), it costs $170. I know it does a lot of things, but it seems that most people use it to only monitor their fuel efficiency. I cannot justify spending $170 on something simply to measure how fuel efficient my driving is. I know that if I gun it, I'm going to use more fuel. I know that if I cruise at 50, I'm going to use less fuel. I would much rather put that $170 away and use it as gas money, because the way I see it, I would be spending more by blowing $170 on a scangauge than simply not driving like a douchebag.

discuss.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:58 AM
I think scangauges are better for older cars where you can also use it to look up codes and see if any problems that arise affect gas mileage or power output.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by qarlwithaq
Going with the price on their website (I realize you can get it cheaper, but it strengthens my argument to use their number), it costs $170. I know it does a lot of things, but it seems that most people use it to only monitor their fuel efficiency. I cannot justify spending $170 on something simply to measure how fuel efficient my driving is. I know that if I gun it, I'm going to use more fuel. I know that if I cruise at 50, I'm going to use less fuel. I would much rather put that $170 away and use it as gas money, because the way I see it, I would be spending more by blowing $170 on a scangauge than simply not driving like a douchebag.

discuss.
My reasons for not buying one are the same as yours. I like gadgets that pay for themselves.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Banned
I have to agree, but if it was like an Access Port I'd be all over it, that is a pretty sweet gadget.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:22 PM
To each his own. I want one so that i can keep up with my temperatures but i dont know if it would be a better purchase then just gauges themselves. For fuel economy i do that math when im filling up. It works just as well. Its a cool product and all but i just dont know if its for me yet. Im interested but im not if that makes sense. haha.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
You will never understand the full value of it without trying one.
I agree, if you like stuff simple and low tech, stay away from it.
It's evil

BTW Last I looked you can get it for $159 just by asking.....

Old 05-06-2008, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
159 shipped from amazon

ordered last week and expected to come on Saturday

I drive both aggressive and gas-saving mode, but with a gauge in front of me i can make it a gas-saving game like some of the other scan gauge owners i need to see some instant numbers on how I do, I can't wait until its time to fill up and calculate data anymore.

for me its a self-check trainer

Old 05-06-2008, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
i got mine for less than $150 shipped. if you don't think it's worth it, don't get it. i have it and it is DEFINATELY worth it. to each their own. it's an awesome tool. you see your MPG REAL TIME! you can adjust the throttle pedal ever so slightly and see a difference in your mpg. it isn't just FLOOR IT = BAD MPG, DRIVE SLOW = GOOD MILEAGE. i'd reccomend it to anyone. and teh fact that it can be transferred to any OBD2 car with only one plug is definately a plus!!

Old 05-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Banned
Well, you guys may have talked me into making this my next buy. As previously posted, I like gadgets, but generally buy ones that provide enough service to pay for themselves. A display that tells me that what I am doing right now is reducing the mpg that I was getting a minute ago with a slightly different driving style would probably get me to change back to the better mpg style of driving. At just under 40 mpg now, the whole idea isn't such a big deal, but with the Scan Gauge maybe I could be getting 40+. With oil prices getting higher every day, I could probably save
enough wasted gas to pay this device off in a year or less. Not bad.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Well, you guys may have talked me into making this my next buy. As previously posted, I like gadgets, but generally buy ones that provide enough service to pay for themselves. A display that tells me that what I am doing right now is reducing the mpg that I was getting a minute ago with a slightly different driving style would probably get me to change back to the better mpg style of driving. At just under 40 mpg now, the whole idea isn't such a big deal, but with the Scan Gauge maybe I could be getting 40+. With oil prices getting higher every day, I could probably save
yeah dave. it's a really cool toy. it ONLY plugs to your OBD2 plug under the dash, so super easy and quick installation. and you can read a bunch of different sensors. like Intake Air Temp, Engine Load, Throttle Position Sensor, just to name a few. i'd buy it again in a heartbeat

Old 05-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Yes, I totally recommend the SG if you're concerned with fuel mileage. I try to beat the days before MPG every day on my trip to and from work!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Useful for reading CEL codes and clearing them too.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Pays for itself: simple math

Manx - I just ordered one. Say I averaged 35mpg before on my Fit, I drive 285 miles between fill-ups, and pay $3.75/gal. (we know the price of gas will be even higher down the road). A 10% increase in fuel economy from 35 to 38.5mpg would save $2.78 every time I fill up. If I fill up once a week it'll take just a little over a year to pay for itself - not accounting for the fact that the car can go longer in between oil changes. So if gas prices stop rising (I wish!!) it pays for itself in a year, conservatively, and then you I can use it for free on other cars and for as long as I like. Seemed like a no brainer to me - we can all make adjustments to try to improve fuel economy, but without knowing realtime what affect our driving has, there's a glass ceiling. It's already in the computer ..other than cost I don't understand why Honda didn't just make this bare minimum info standard in the dash display like they do in the Civic Hybrid.

Originally Posted by manxman

Old 05-16-2008, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dyussen
Manx - I just ordered one. Say I averaged 35mpg before on my Fit, I drive 285 miles between fill-ups, and pay $3.75/gal. (we know the price of gas will be even higher down the road). A 10% increase in fuel economy from 35 to 38.5mpg would save $2.78 every time I fill up. If I fill up once a week it'll take just a little over a year to pay for itself - not accounting for the fact that the car can go longer in between oil changes. So if gas prices stop rising (I wish!!) it pays for itself in a year, conservatively, and then you I can use it for free on other cars and for as long as I like. Seemed like a no brainer to me - we can all make adjustments to try to improve fuel economy, but without knowing realtime what affect our driving has, there's a glass ceiling. It's already in the computer ..other than cost I don't understand why Honda didn't just make this bare minimum info standard in the dash display like they do in the Civic Hybrid.
i agree. but, if they had this displayed, the price would be higher for teh fit. ya know?! heated seats and mirrors aren't that hard to produce, but if they were standard, the price of the car would be more. and so on.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Wink

Originally Posted by solbrothers
i agree. but, if they had this displayed, the price would be higher for teh fit. ya know?! heated seats and mirrors aren't that hard to produce, but if they were standard, the price of the car would be more. and so on.
Those are parts that probably cost more money. This is just data from the 'puter, same as the speed, rpms, fuel tank and mileage. In retrospect I would have rather paid the $160 anyway to have it built in the display than an aftermarket add-on that has to occupy a space somewhere it doesn't belong. Just sayin'....

Old 05-16-2008, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
gotcha dude.