General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Going for 50+

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Going for 50+

That is it. I will use pulse and glide, FAS, slower speeds, and my 0w20 mobile 1 synthetic oil along with my new K&N air filter.

I was hoping to achieve it on this tank but I have taken too many extra trips I believe. Lets see I had 4 adults and one child in the car for a round trip of 60 miles at 65mph(5 mph over the speed limit since we were running late) using the damn A/C on max since it was hot! What can I say it was Mother's day dinner! Today, I have taken several short trips around the town I work in which I FAS as much as possible but the damn stop signs and stop lights were killing me!

I have learned that I coast about 0.2 in my neighbor hood which includes backing out of my garage and around my block all gas free!

Also, I drove at 50mph in a 10mile stretch of 65mph, nervous that some one was going to hit me. I tried a good bit of the pulse gliding but I am not sure how effective that was since I don't have a scan guage. Where I would speed up to 65 FAS down to 45-50mph and pop the clutch to cruise on up to 65 again. I may be doing more harm than good but I have no clue at the moment.

Well, I have 200miles and I am about 1/4" from the halfway mark on the fuel gauge. I will know tomorrow evening or Wednesday morning.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pb and h
I tried a good bit of the pulse gliding but I am not sure how effective that was since I don't have a scan guage. Where I would speed up to 65 FAS down to 45-50mph and pop the clutch to cruise on up to 65 again. I may be doing more harm than good but I have no clue at the moment.
I get 60+ MPG pulse and gliding on long trips. As long as you are timing it right and aren't rough with the bump start you aren't hurting much.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:11 AM
I don't know if it is me or this state/area but it seems like all tractor trailers/18 wheelers speed from 5-10mph over the speed limit!

Why can't they go slow so I can draft behind them!

You would think with the prices of diesel they would be creepin.

With that said I was able to draft about 30miles of my commute this morning but the mph ranged from 60-70mph which may have hurt my mpg for the goal of 50mpg. I was drafting about less than 1 sec or car link from the big rig.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
At 55 to 60mph and 1 sec drafting I see 53mpg to 58mpg (depending on winds) on my SG.
My problem is the stuff in between that part of my drive drags the avg down to 42 to 46mpg.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Well, as previously stated I did not get 50+ but I came close, I will next time for sure!

The results:

Name:  IMG00107.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  47.4 KB
Name:  IMG00108.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  59.3 KB

That is 8.2 gallons of fuel used which yields 48.4mpg! The best yet.

I will make sure I don't lug anyone else around going fast using the A/C. If I can help it.

I was able to draft a semi 3/4 of the way home yesterday and I was able to draft a semi doing 40-50mph today for about 10miles.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
Congrats! Keep up the good work.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Well, I was not able to draft on the way home yesterday just some p&g with 5-10mph below the speed limit.

On the way to work today I had the ultimate draft of a semi for about 30 miles. The truck speed ranged from 45-60mph and I was at the most 1 second behind but I stayed probably 0.5 seconds behind him the majority of the time.

I haven't used A/C yet but I might have to today depending on if it rains or not.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:28 PM
I have 241miles on half a tank! At this rate I may get 52 mpg!

I was able to draft an Air force bus(more like a school bus) and a semi for about a total of 30miles on the way home today.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
241 @ half CERTAINLY looks like 50's, no question!

Old 05-16-2008, 06:39 AM
5 Year Member
Just another data point. I see 240 often (at the 1/2 mark) and that works out to be 43 to 45 tops.

I would of thought all Fit gas gauges would be about the same for gals and marks, as it's just a float controlled resistor, but guess not. Yes I understand they (like most cars) are non linear meaning the miles from Full to 1/2 is different the 1/2 to E.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:24 AM
I have never seen that many miles at 1/2 tank before and you know I have been trying.

So here is where my fuel gauge sits now from my trip home to work this morning:

I can't wait to see what mpg I get

Old 05-16-2008, 01:33 PM
I had to drive at lunch today to take the boss's boss's wife to lunch, rather she bought me lunch. Anyway, I had to use the A/C and I decided it wouldn't be a good idea to draft or FAS/P&G. Good thing was it was only a 10 mile round trip.............

Old 05-16-2008, 07:30 PM
On my trip home I was only able to draft a semi for about a 10miles and the rest was P&G with some 5-10mph below the speed limits if possible. Here is what my fuel gauge looks like now:

Name:  IMG00111.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  62.5 KB

Old 05-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Well I did it!

Here is the mileage I achieved and the gas light had not come on yet:
Name:  IMG00116.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  45.8 KB

Here is the amount of fuel when tank was filled:
Name:  IMG00117.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  27.4 KB

Again, that is 8.5 gallons which yields 55.0 mpg !!!

I think I have to say Drafting was the major player in this one and next would be the P&G, then FAS. Oh, I am so NOT trading this thing in for a hybrid...............yet.

Now, I think I will just drive with out P&G and FAS but I will draft to see what mpg I get.

Shawn

Old 05-19-2008, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Nice work! Although I always try to duplicate a tank twice. After all the pump could have clicked off a little too soon, making your next tank look worse.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:51 AM
I thought about trying to duplicate it but not right now, not to mention, I am confident in my driving ability and I plan on having many more 55mpg or higher tanks. Also, I will be traveling out of town on Tuesday and will return Thursday night which will more than likely yield lower mpg because I will not be as familiar with the terrain and driving conditions. I will definitely continue to strive to achieve better mpg and find a level of comfort for my best techniques................some are more annoying than others.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
Here is the mileage I achieved and the gas light had not come on yet:

Again, that is 8.5 gallons which yields 55.0 mpg !!!

I think I have to say Drafting was the major player in this one and next would be the P&G, then FAS. Oh, I am so NOT trading this thing in for a hybrid...............yet.

Now, I think I will just drive with out P&G and FAS but I will draft to see what mpg I get.
Shawn, Something funny is going on with your data.
Forget miles for a second.

When my tank is on the verge of the E light, it points just like yours, just touching the head of the letter "E"
I have at least 4 fills just like that.

Sat was one and it took 9.645Gal

By the book it should be:
10.8 - 1.7 or close to 9.1gal

I pump mine at med speed and add one more auto shut off every time. That 2nd burst is always .3gal

So Sat for example my light had just turned on and it took 9.3gal to the 1st Auto shut off at med speed

Your car on this fill took 8.5 gal

I suspect the pump you used is delivering more fuel than indicated or that fill was not to a full tank.

I had a pump that did that last year and for 6 months with 40% more.
I saw my Suburban Eco go from 14-15 to 23

You have to stop and ask yourself how you could of realistically got 55.0mpg. The probability is very low IMHO.

Don't take this the wrong way. I think your results are excellent, it's just some fills do not make any sense and will not repeat.

Drafting at 50 mph not including the part of the trip to get me to or from that point has been at best low 50's for me. Using SG data. I'd have to go 40mph to comes close to 55 and that would not even be possible because to the getting going parts.

Save up and get a SG so you can read what you get real time and away from pump fill issues. Remember most users show %1 gains after purchasing one.

Last edited by pcs0snq; 05-19-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Ok, I am not getting defensive here but I do want to clear things up........after all arguing on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics, you are still retarded! Besides, I have nothing to prove to anyone.

So, to clear things up:

- I always stop at the auto cut off. I never pump more gas after the pump stops. I have used the same pump for I don't know how long, well ever since I started conducting my experiments. I have been using the Sonoco gas station in the town where I work.

- So, if you say the pump is delivering more fuel then, I still win because I am getting more than I paid for.

- So, what I can do is use a different gas station all together for a few runs and then I can mix the two different gas stations(fill up at one and run the tank to E or close to it and fill up at the other) which will give me a better comparison on the difference if any in the gas pumps and stations.

Also, remember my driving habits in this most recent test was anything goes..........I drafted, P&G, FAS, FAS while Drafing. I was able to go 0.2miles each morning with the car in Accesory II mode(no fuel but clocking mileage.....is that FASing when you haven't even started the car?) and I would pop the clutch to start the car. I would then FAS another 0.4 miles and another 0.5miles before I even hit a local highway. I am also able to coast(FAS) 1 mile to park in my garage every day. I am able to coast(FAS) at least 1.5 to my parking spot at work every day. I did not use CC the entire time. I drove under the speed limit by 5-15mph at all times unless drafting which sometimes lead me to 10mph over.

Also, I just changed my oil to 0w20, my tires are at 50psi and I only weigh 162 LBS.

Believe me I tried my damnedest if I didn't get side tracked, hell I wouldn't even talk on the phone so I could concentrate and calculate the next move that would yield the best mpg. I can be very annal when it comes to what I want done and how to do it.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:25 AM
Here are some pics of me drafting:
Name:  IMG00118.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  55.8 KB
Name:  IMG00115.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  42.4 KB
Name:  IMG00113.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  33.1 KB

Maybe most of my increased mpg came from FAS and P&G if not drafting. It is what it is. I don't know that I need a SG if I can do better than most without one.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:40 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I was able to go 0.2miles each morning with the car in Accesory II mode(no fuel but clocking mileage

WHOA.. I think thats going a bit too far to be honest.

Quick Reply: Going for 50+