General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit vs PathFinder on Camping Trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:17 PM
tin
5 Year Member
Fit vs PathFinder on Camping Trip

Just came back from from a short weekend camping trip with the Fit. We had 6 people and two cars (Fit and PathFinder), 3 in each car and all our "junk" were split between the two. And there was a lot of junk, we don't go camping to rough it out. I must say, the Fit (with the 60 side folded down) held a ton of stuff, and there was still some vertical space, good stuff.

The only problem I had was trying to keep up with my friend's PathFinder and the rest of the traffic. Trying to pass "slower" cars on the fast lane to keep up with my friend was hard since it took too long to accelerate fast enough to pass before getting too close to the car in front of me. After a few times I just gave up and just stayed behind the slower cars. The other problem area was going up the mountain road to the campsite, the engine was working over time trying to stay at 40MPH it felt like it's all it could do on a up hill. Then during a rather steep hill, I couldn't get pass 30MPH with the engine buzzing like like crazy. While the PathFinder went up the hill like it was nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the Fit or anything, the PathFinder has like 250HP vs our little 109HP, there is no comparison. My car was loaded with probably 650lb of people and stuff. And I think my friend was getting around 15MPG.

All in all, the Fit was GREAT. I wouldn't have had any problem if I wasn't trying to keep up with my friend and his lead foot. But it does put things into prospective.

Off topic: I was behind a Hummer with what looked like two little parachutes attached to the roof rack. As if the Hummer's fuel economy isn't bad enough, they have to all more drag to the equation.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:29 PM
I took mine w/ 3 adults and 1 kid, 2 dogs, fishing gear, food, and baggage for everyone this weekend... it really is amazing how much you can stuff into a fit! (or as it's been said here before,..."amazing how much can be fit into a fit")
~Rob