General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

"popping" out of gear w/ a M/T

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
"popping" out of gear w/ a M/T

hey guys,

just wondering, has anyone experience what I have? lately, when shifting out of 1st or 3rd, rather than the shifter moving smoothly like it has been since I've had the car (about 3 months), every now and then as I shift, the shifter "pops" out the the gear now. It's kinda hard to explain, but......it happens mostly coming out of 1st gear or 3rd gear and into the next. It doesn't happen all of the time. I wasn't able to make it happen myself, so I think it's a random occurence.

any ideas? or has anyone else experienced this?

-emil

Old 06-01-2008, 05:47 PM
It happened to me today shifting from 1st to 2nd. I don't know if my hand touched it before it popped or if pressing the clutch popped it, but it didn't grind or mesh or anything so it's ok.

I was pissed I grinded 3rd gear today somehow. 2nd to 3rd is my flaw. I don't know why, because 4th to 5th is like my easiest lol.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:08 PM
wow
5 Year Member
Have you changed your manual transmission fluid yet? My Fit started doing the same thing, but when I changed my mtf, it went away.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by wow
Have you changed your manual transmission fluid yet? My Fit started doing the same thing, but when I changed my mtf, it went away.

Why would you need to change the fluid on a car that is only 3 months old? I've never heard of that before...

Old 06-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Popping out of gear is usually caused by worn engagement dogs.
But on a car this young its almost unheard of.
Hmmmm. This needs some thought.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wow

i was thinking about it....I just bought my Fit at the end of March, but i'm at about 7100 miles now.

I changing the MTF somthing that needs to be taken in? Or can I do it myself?

-e

Old 06-01-2008, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ricohman
Popping out of gear is usually caused by worn engagement dogs.
But on a car this young its almost unheard of.
Hmmmm. This needs some thought.
engagement dogs? never heard of the term! my only other manual trans was my old Nissan Frontier, so my M/T experience is pretty limited.

It doesn't pop out of gear while driving, though. It only happens (so far) when I clutch in and go for a shift.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by bacalia
engagement dogs? never heard of the term! my only other manual trans was my old Nissan Frontier, so my M/T experience is pretty limited.

It doesn't pop out of gear while driving, though. It only happens (so far) when I clutch in and go for a shift.
Thats an old school term. Think the sides of the sycro's and what they engage to.
I've rebuilt many manual trannys over the years. This can't be worn parts. And new fluid will make little difference.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:43 PM

yea sometimes mine pops out of gear when im driving aggresivly... but i dont mind cuz its kinda like having a short shiftaaa but freee

Old 06-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by zRollerskate
yea sometimes mine pops out of gear when im driving aggresivly... but i dont mind cuz its kinda like having a short shiftaaa but freee

thats so funny

Old 06-02-2008, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
i just may be a shitty manual driver. i'll be back when i can replicate the problem. thanks guys.

-e

Old 06-02-2008, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
i think this is due to poor clutch engagement since the Fit clutch is so light, it's hard to know when you're actually on it enough. I say just practice clutching in more before shifting. I do it quite alot by accident

Old 06-02-2008, 03:11 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Unless it's a violent "popping" - it's pretty normal. As your accelerating, the manual tranny naturally wants to be shifted into the next proper gear. Thats why you almost never accidentally shift from 1st to 4th gear..

Old 06-02-2008, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by storm88000
Unless it's a violent "popping" - it's pretty normal. As your accelerating, the manual tranny naturally wants to be shifted into the next proper gear. Thats why you almost never accidentally shift from 1st to 4th gear..
that's what i was thinking. but you know, when I can't recreate the problem at will, I tend to think that there's something wrong. thanks again for your help guys.

-e

Old 06-02-2008, 03:15 PM
dhk
5 Year Member
hey guys,

just wondering, has anyone experience what I have? lately, when shifting out of 1st or 3rd, rather than the shifter moving smoothly like it has been since I've had the car (about 3 months), every now and then as I shift, the shifter "pops" out the the gear now. It's kinda hard to explain, but......it happens mostly coming out of 1st gear or 3rd gear and into the next. It doesn't happen all of the time. I wasn't able to make it happen myself, so I think it's a random occurence.

any ideas? or has anyone else experienced this?

-emil
I've noticed this too. It happens when I shift out of 1'st before I have completely disengaged the clutch. Just work on your timing.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:31 AM
I have an SI and a Fit. I'm taking the SI in on Wednesday for TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) work on the Tranny, specifically 3rd gear. There have been many people complaining about the grinding/popping out or difficulty shifting into third gear. Honda FINALLY issued a TSB in April and will perform the work free (if your still in warranty) for the 2006 SI. Not all are covered, but the 2006 is. Google SI 3rd gear problems to get a ref to the TSB. I doubt this is what is wroing with the Fit, because I have ZERO problems with my 2007 Fit MT. This work will take all day, and would cost me over $3,000 if I had to pay for it myself. But, Honda in there usual cheapskate way will not give me a loaner, I have to rent a car for $40.00 per day.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
im pretty sure it's due to not pressing the clutch enough. It may sound scary but try this: dont press the gas when ur driving slowly and gently pull the gear out w/o clutch, it'll replicate that popping feeling

Old 06-03-2008, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
mine does this sometimes. you're shifting too fast. you aren't disengaging the clutch all the way before moving the shifter

Old 06-03-2008, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Yep. Mine does this too coming out of 1st. At first, it seemed to only happen before the engine was warmed up but then I started paying attention and it was just my timing. Mostly in the morning when I'm leaving for work at 5am and not fully awake... Just gotta remember to press that durn pedal down further!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kgraham11
Yep. Mine does this too coming out of 1st. At first, it seemed to only happen before the engine was warmed up but then I started paying attention and it was just my timing. Mostly in the morning when I'm leaving for work at 5am and not fully awake... Just gotta remember to press that durn pedal down further!
LMAO!! same here!! happens when im just waking up in the morning! leaving for work before the sun comes up ftl

Quick Reply: "popping" out of gear w/ a M/T