General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

"popping" out of gear w/ a M/T

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
LMAO!! same here!! happens when im just waking up in the morning! leaving for work before the sun comes up ftl

and when I leave from a cold start, when i clutch in for the first time, i always hear a metal clunking sound. it's not crazy loud, but it ALWAYS happens from a cold start.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
oh,
well atleast we found out what its from!!

Old 06-04-2008, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
I know what you mean, as I get that on my other manual car too -- but I'm pretty sure I'm yanking on the stick shift before depressing the clutch entirely enough. It's a very small pop.

Only once have I ever had a manual pop out entirely by itself years ago. It was so powerful and sudden that it hurt my wrist for a couple days. Lever was forcefully ejected from 1st gear, ouch.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
ouch,
doesn't sound too nice!
what if it was so strong it broke your wrist?
that would suck then...

Old 07-06-2008, 10:59 PM
I've began noticing this issue as of yesterday morning. My concern is that it wasn't happening when I first bought the car. Now, it only happens once or twice within the first couple of throws from 1st to 2nd as I'm leaving our housing track to get to the main street. The shifter just jolts out of gear and into my hand. It seems that once that blue temp light goes off and things begin to get warmed up, it all gets smooth again.

I have also noticed that my throws are a bit rubbery before things warm up as well. Once I've driven for a few minutes, I just feel and hear the clicks as it goes into gear smoothly. I agree with the weighted shift knob though; I definitely want to get one with some more girth to it. That steel bushing kit sounds nice too.

With the car off and the clutch fully depressed, the throws are all just smooth as liquid. For some reason, while driving you really have to clutch in all the way and let off nice and slowly while leveling out the throttle or you'll get jerky. The Fit is by far the hardest manual transmission vehicle I've had to learn to adapt to. Oh and don't wear sandals while driving your MT either. I made that dumb mistake for the first time today

Now that I know it's a normal (or normal for our cars) occurrence, I'm not too worried about it. I'm going to wait and see if things smooth out once things break in further. I only have 1,027 miles on it now. If it doesn't improve over time, I'll have the dealership try replacing the tranny fluid at the first oil change.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
yeah, i've chalked it up to being a normal occurence now. i'm thinking that it only happens at a certain RPM range, where the trans "wants" to shift into the next gear, you know?i think it happens at the right speed and RPM.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
you know how you can move the lever out of the gates without
the clutch when there is no load on the drivetrain.... it's very similar
to that.

depending on how the car responds to the warmer humid weather
and a/c cycling or not, there is quite a bit of inconsistency on the
spool up and spin down. so depending on where your rev is vs how
much you're tugging at the shifter, it may feel like it's popping out
of gear.

popping out of gear usually means it literally pops out of gear
without touching the lever.

i think in your case it's considered normal.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:30 AM
I know exactly what you're talking about. For some odd reason, I always forget to push the clutch in that little extra bit. I kind of think tis' the way the clutch paddle is angled compared to otehr cars which would usually be the same angle as the brake pedal and I may be wrong about this. I'm starting to have a feeling taht my tranny is screwed because I usually forget to push the clutch in that extra little bit, and I have this 'stiff' ness when putting it in gear. It feels like something VERY VERY light is blocking me from putting it in gear, any help?

Old 07-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Steel Bushing Kit?

Originally Posted by 7red7
I have also noticed that my throws are a bit rubbery before things warm up as well. Once I've driven for a few minutes, I just feel and hear the clicks as it goes into gear smoothly. I agree with the weighted shift knob though; I definitely want to get one with some more girth to it. That steel bushing kit sounds nice too.
What steel bushing kit?? If someone sells one, let me know! I want it.

Thanks,

Old 07-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
you mean like the H-Fit one?

Old 07-14-2008, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
this happens to me from 1st to 2nd some times...but it doesnt seem to really be much of a problem just seems when i engage the clutch it comes out of first with the slightest touch, put it in 2nd and no problems. my clutch and flywheel is destroyed right now tho and ive only noticed it since my clutch started slipping. dunno if it was normal before that.

ive also noticed that slight metal clunking sound when the first shift is being done from a start. i dont think thats really a problem is it?

Old 07-14-2008, 05:34 PM
I've had this problem with other Honda's I've driven. I've noticed it only happened when the mat or something else bunched up underneath the clutch and prevented it from engaging properly. I particularly noticed it with my del Sol.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Bushings

Originally Posted by kenchan
you mean like the H-Fit one?
Yes! Thanks, I'm brand new to the car and the forum. One of my few gripes with this cool little car is the rubbery shifting. The H-Fit kit is exactly what I was looking for.

Are they easy to install? (I'm a seasoned gearhead)

Thanks,

Alex.