General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda Paint Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xorbe
Plus anything on the paint >24 hours eats the shine since there is no clear coat.
Is it true there's no clear coat? Is this all colors or just some? I have the blackberry pearl.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Fit4Pits
Is it true there's no clear coat? Is this all colors or just some? I have the blackberry pearl.
white and red, last i remember

Old 10-29-2008, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HONDAMATIC
white and red, last i remember
That would figure...sigh. My MR base picked up three small chips in the first couple of weeks. I honestly thought, when I first joined H-T and Fitfreak, that the acronym NHBP stood for:

New Honda, Bad Paint

Old 10-30-2008, 02:49 AM
rofl honest mistake

Old 10-30-2008, 11:25 AM
For the most part my paint has held up very well, the only place on my car where the paint seems to have issues is the front bumper, i have numerous little chips and one spot about 3/4 of an inch long which is an eye-sore, on my bumper but thats due to road debris....and that can't really be avoided entirely unless you're lucky enough to drive on roads where NO-ONE else drives. what really sucks are the fog light lenses....they are WEEEEAAAAK weak, one of mine is broken ....which sucks, but no-one really pays attention to the fogs so i decided to just leave it as-is for now....its probably too expensive to replace, and i NEVER use my foglights anyway....it still sucks when i see it though.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:05 AM
Hi there, I paint car for a living. So far, Honda paint coat is not that bad actually. In fact, I think they have improved their clear coat i mean a thicker one compare to the old models. However, it will not do much when it comes to flying rocks or small debris on the freeway. So sooner or later you will get them on the front end of your car. In fact, most of the cars will have that problem. A clear bra will help but they also have their drawback. Because, it will eventually discolor or starting to peel off in a year or so if you let your cars expose to the environment. In my opions, it's a waste of money because if some thing happens for example, some one crash into you and scrape the tape. Then there goes your money, because in order to repair that scratch the clear tape must come off. It happens a lot at my shop. And I believe clear bra dont come cheap. So the best you could do is try to avoid following big trucks on the freeways.
Also, the paint protection the dealership is trying to sell you prolly just some special wax (paint sealer, etc..). You'd better off put it on yourself for alot less. If you want your paint to look new just wash your car regularly and have it detailed every 3 months or so. For solid color like back and red, it a must otherwise it will get ugly really soon. Well, that's my humble opinion. Happy Fitting.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:05 AM
I had a light silver Integra and when it was dusty, it kind of looked almost pearl from a distance. It didn't really look dirty that often.

My TWB Fit looks dirty after a few days. I'm not sure if the darker silver would hide it well (afterall black is the hardest color to keep clean and the dark silver is silver/black).

However, I think White is a really offputting color for this car. This car is bulky looking as it is. Black is more slimming (darker color)...

So, really go with a color that just makes you happy.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:28 AM
never heard of a color making a car seem fatter or slimmer hahaha it does make sense though. That's so weird. Also I heard somewhere about color personality. Black and red car owners are usually extremely confident lol. White and silver are conformists. And greens, yellows and such are just wild and crazy people lol

Old 11-01-2008, 01:26 AM
I've never really noticed it on other cars either... However, with this being a small car (which I like), I noticed that because of the odd shape, the white makes it look... as others have called it on this website, a pregnant roller-skate.

I'm starting to see more of these cars around and white is the only color that does this. I'm guessing it must look spectacular up close and that is why so many people on here like it (I haven't seen the white up close).

The other car I've noticed this on is the 09 Scion XB.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:11 AM
I lost my faith in Scion lol the original xA and xB were awesome, but the new xB is crap, the xD is not cute, and the tC is the only one that most customers feel self-confident driving around. I personally hate the tC lol

White Fits look okay, I would just never own a car that's not black or green lol

Old 11-01-2008, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
I went to a store here in SoCal that sells auto detailing products.
They recommended Auto-Glym polish and Auto-Glym sealer. It is a little hard to find but I have had good luck with the products on my 02 camaro.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:43 PM
No dealer paint protection.
I can wax my own car for $500 thanks very much.
No paint problems in the 7 months I've owned it.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by MPFit07
Hi there, I paint car for a living. So far, Honda paint coat is not that bad actually. In fact, I think they have improved their clear coat i mean a thicker one compare to the old models. However, it will not do much when it comes to flying rocks or small debris on the freeway. So sooner or later you will get them on the front end of your car. In fact, most of the cars will have that problem. A clear bra will help but they also have their drawback. Because, it will eventually discolor or starting to peel off in a year or so if you let your cars expose to the environment. In my opions, it's a waste of money because if some thing happens for example, some one crash into you and scrape the tape. Then there goes your money, because in order to repair that scratch the clear tape must come off. It happens a lot at my shop. And I believe clear bra dont come cheap. So the best you could do is try to avoid following big trucks on the freeways.
Also, the paint protection the dealership is trying to sell you prolly just some special wax (paint sealer, etc..). You'd better off put it on yourself for alot less. If you want your paint to look new just wash your car regularly and have it detailed every 3 months or so. For solid color like back and red, it a must otherwise it will get ugly really soon. Well, that's my humble opinion. Happy Fitting.
No clear coat on a Fit.
If you can see your color on the cloth when waxing, there is definately no clear.