General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

HID too much glare

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:18 AM
HID too much glare

i just bought a set of hid and installed em yesterday.. they work good but too good.. before i read the thread about adjusting the light was on the ground and the trees... it was too high even now after adjusting them the lights are pointed much much lower but the glare is still blinding... anyone know how to focus the lights??? because the lights are everywhere ... i no longer have the line where the headlight shines its more of a light blob... anyone have any suggestions.....

Old 07-16-2008, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
that is what HID's are. teh only way to get good use of that output is to do an HID retrofit. where you actually use the projector

Old 07-16-2008, 02:01 AM
would it help if i got the bulb thats hi/lo because it looks like it has some type of shield on it

Old 07-16-2008, 02:02 AM
Formerly "bitoy"
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
that is what HID's are. teh only way to get good use of that output is to do an HID retrofit. where you actually use the projector
I agree!!!! and you probably have the kit that doesn't have the shield anyways, now that your headlight beam is screwed up I would suggest putting your stock bulb and try bringing back to the right aiming position on your headlights. follow this on how to aim your headlights here's the link Automotive lighting FAQ - Headlamp aiming

Old 07-16-2008, 03:56 AM
how do i find some headlights like the ones u have on ur icon

Old 07-16-2008, 05:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by soklean
i just bought a set of hid and installed em yesterday.. they work good but too good.. before i read the thread about adjusting the light was on the ground and the trees... it was too high even now after adjusting them the lights are pointed much much lower but the glare is still blinding... anyone know how to focus the lights??? because the lights are everywhere ... i no longer have the line where the headlight shines its more of a light blob... anyone have any suggestions.....
I can give you some reference on how to aim your headlights. Before you start, pull your to about 2 meters away from a wall, then use a wrench or a (+) screw driver to change the aimming. If I remember correctly, I think turn left to aim low, turn right to aim high... but you get the idea... Best to do this in a parkade so there is no obstructions between your car and the wall

Once the focus of the lights (the brightest spot of the light hitting against the wall) are align to the point where its parallel to your headlights... Find a car and park behing it... should leave some room between you and the car in front of you... say around 1 to 1.5 meters.

The car, of cause, should be something like a Sedan and not a TRUCK or SUV. Now check your lights, and see if the bleeding line (aka The cut-off line for the light) should not not shine higher than the top of the rear bumper of the car in front of you.

If it is, readjust until its done correctly.

I apologize if my sentences are too wordy.. I'll try to provide some diagram next time...

Last edited by Guinness; 07-16-2008 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Formerly "bitoy"
5 Year Member
how do i find some headlights like the ones u have on ur icon
That is a retrofitted headlights w/ the Q45 projector. It's custom made can't buy it anywhere you can have it done and IMO these are not cheap.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
HIDs in a halogen housing is going to cause glare, no other way around it. The housing is not meant to accept an HID. You will hear others say it doesnt cause any glare, but that is just ignorance talking. Just because someone else doesnt flash you all the time doesnt mean there is no glare. I've used HIDs in halogen housings before, and it looked terrible. Removed them and got my $ back. Now as stated get yourself a projector light and the HIDs will look worlds better.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
You must have bought a cheap kit or something? My headlights look perfect. I have a cut off and less glare than most OEM reflective (non projection) HID cars.

Also, I think my flat black headlight housings cut down the glare a bit too.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
You must have bought a cheap kit or something? My headlights look perfect. I have a cut off and less glare than most OEM reflective (non projection) HID cars.

What kit did you buy?

I agree cheap kits are defiantly not the way to go. My kit on the rsx ran me about $400 and had no more glare than your standard lifted truck or suv.

but I also had black housings on the RSX too.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Got it from HIDworld.com. Ive had it for about 2years now. I have the 35watt kit. Not the 55watt kit. I dont trust it.
My kit has a separate fused power wire that goes to the battery. From what Ive heard and read those are the best kits.

My friend got an HID kit for free for his 05 RSX. It was an 8000k. He ran it for a 6months, had a bunch of problems then bought the same kit (4300k) I have. WAY less glare and hasnt had a problem yet.

Arent the RSX housings gloss black though? My housings are flat.
I have almost zero glare.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
That would have no effect on the glare, judging by your pictures you didn't paint the reflectors, and the light really wont do much off the housing itself, just the reflector.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:48 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Single beam HIDs cause more glare... Bi xenon will help alot. I had bi xenon with no virtually no glare. The same HIDs in my JDM conversion however glare a bunch.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I think it has something to do with it. My headlight housings are no longer glossy meaning theres no extra reflections. Paint on cars can reflect lighting. Not much but it can.

No the reflective housings arent painted. I wouldnt have light if I did that.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Why would Bi-xenon HID's have less glare? Its still HID capsules in a reflective housing. Do Bi-xenon kits have D2R style capsules? (reflective strip over the center)

I know some HID kits give you that option. The light output isnt an worse. The strip just prevents glare.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:57 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
every single beam Ive seen glares alot worse than the bi xenone. I think the bi xenon shield prevents the light from being reflected up too much. Cause when in low beam it reflects light downward... when you hit highbeam the shield turns and reflects light upward.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:18 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Yes. Take them out. The glare issue is exactly why reputable vendors of aftermarket lighting won't sell those infernal things. I snagged this link to the Hella website from Susquehanna Motorsports Home Page, local to me and a great source of lighting information:

Consumers | Hella USA and Canada

Old 07-17-2008, 02:51 AM
well can some of you post images of your hid if you have them on ur car and state if they are projectors or not and brand you have used..

Old 07-17-2008, 03:05 AM
i tossed my ebay ones in the trash the other day...lol

Old 07-17-2008, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
I used to have bi-Xenon on my factory headlight housing... they work great, but the mechanism breaks down after 1-2 years and replacement is expensive... but that was a few years back

Quick Reply: HID too much glare