General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

First Tank Mileage...VERY SATISFIED

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:19 AM
[quote=Fat Ping Cat;373171]haha thanks... i could find other threads about the filler tube, crazy thing is so long. quote]

I don't have time right now verify and to calc' it out, but assuming the fill tube is 1.25" in diameter, I would guess that you would need about 80' or so of fill tube to hold even close to 2 gals! Nope, I'd bet a dollar that it's the air-gap in the tank that your filling by forcing repeated 'clicks' into the tank. There is a vent tube that runs from the low "saddle" of the tank back to the fill tube.

Like I eluded to in my other post, if you want to be able to fill to the top every time, all one needs to do is: 1) Drop the tank, 2) Relocate the existing vent tube to the highest point on the tank. This will involve drilling a hole in the high point of the tank and installing a bulk-head compression fitting. 3) Capping the old vent and 4) Re-installing the new vent from the tank to the filler neck. Presto. You can now fill to the top every time w/o the annoying shut off. Just remember that the air gap is for expansion and safety. Use your head and you'll be fine. Just remember to tell the next owner that you did it!

--D

Old 07-22-2008, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
[quote=Rockrover;373347]
Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat
haha thanks... i could find other threads about the filler tube, crazy thing is so long. quote]

I don't have time right now verify and to calc' it out, but assuming the fill tube is 1.25" in diameter, I would guess that you would need about 80' or so of fill tube to hold even close to 2 gals! Nope, I'd bet a dollar that it's the air-gap in the tank that your filling by forcing repeated 'clicks' into the tank. There is a vent tube that runs from the low "saddle" of the tank back to the fill tube.

Like I eluded to in my other post, if you want to be able to fill to the top every time, all one needs to do is: 1) Drop the tank, 2) Relocate the existing vent tube to the highest point on the tank. This will involve drilling a hole in the high point of the tank and installing a bulk-head compression fitting. 3) Capping the old vent and 4) Re-installing the new vent from the tank to the filler neck. Presto. You can now fill to the top every time w/o the annoying shut off. Just remember that the air gap is for expansion and safety. Use your head and you'll be fine. Just remember to tell the next owner that you did it!

--D
i haven't been thinking until now... haha

you make so much sense to me right now, and everyone else here is probably wrong too.. yeah i really am sorry about before.

people who have tried to put more gas into the tank probably didn't, even if you were to fill up the tube the gas pump wouldn't have pumped the gas that it said it did.

it isn't such a bad idea to modify the tank a little to fill it up more, to think if you could fill it up a few gallons more you could gain over 100 miles in range

Old 07-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Not sure what you mean by your 3rd sentence

Essentially what's happening is your burping air from the air-gap in the tank out through the vent tube from the tank to the filler neck. This takes a bit of doing in that only the static pressure (head) of the fuel from the filler neck down causes the air to burp back out. Hence why it takes so dang long to fill that extra 2 gals.

And I wouldn't worry about saturating the evap tank either. Typically (and I haven't confirmed with the Fit) the canisters are located far above the fill level of the tank so 'damaging' by dumping fuel shouldn't be an issue.

Hope this helps.

--D

Old 07-22-2008, 11:31 AM

This tank was filled via the first shut-off, wait 5 seconds, plus one squeeze/click. No "fill-tube" fill up.

Lovin it!

--D

Last edited by Rockrover; 07-22-2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: x
Old 07-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Wuze
You aren't getting those numbers, Rockrover.
you guys are ridiculous. why so bitter? how does it affect you even if he is lying?(which i'm not saying you are, rockrover).

this isn't what our fitfreak community is about, guys. lay off, maybe you should be giving him tips to IMPROVE his mileage instead of calling him a liar?

crazier things have happened.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the props. I assure you I'm not lying...Why would I?

I'm just simply pointing out that driving conservatively does pay off...Even with the 'scourge' of the Fit community - THE AT!!

Notice the only negative replies to this thread are from MT owners? Hmmmmmm. Wonder why? I bet many are thinking I chopped the pic, or filled the air-gap in the tank too. I'm not that motivated guy's...

--D

Old 07-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Rockrover
Thanks for the props. I assure you I'm not lying...Why would I?

I'm just simply pointing out that driving conservatively does pay off...Even with the 'scourge' of the Fit community - THE AT!!

Notice the only negative replies to this thread are from MT owners? Hmmmmmm. Wonder why? I bet many are thinking I chopped the pic, or filled the air-gap in the tank too. I'm not that motivated guy's...

--D
I drive an MT!

I would have gotten an AT if I still lived in Dallas, though.

so I'm really not very biased either way :-P

Old 07-22-2008, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
FWIW I usually get around 190 at the halfway mark. And end up around 300 by the fuel light. The gas gauge is horribly incorrect. It might be different for you since you do highway. In my MT I get about 34 full city.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
FWIW I usually get around 190 at the halfway mark. And end up around 300 by the fuel light. The gas gauge is horribly incorrect. It might be different for you since you do highway. In my MT I get about 34 full city.
Yea I hear ya...Every car I've owned over the last 20 years have had the "drop off the cliff" measure at the 1/4 tank and below mark. My Land Rover Defender was the WORST. I had only about 60 miles at the 1/4 mark left in the tank.

Last tank with Fit the light came on at 360, which told me it's actually (at least mine) pretty darn close if not conservative.

Again, disclaimers apply as I KNOW I NEED MORE FILL UPS! Yes, yes yes...Data points are important.

--D

Old 07-22-2008, 07:43 PM
I drive an automatic. The only MT owner on these forums that has a stick up their ass is solbrothers, everyone else generally has no issues on the MT/AT topic, so don't play that card.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:38 PM
I think the gas tanks are shaped like wine glasses!

I still am unsure of how many gallons are left when the gas light comes on. Of course that depends if you are driving up hill or down hill or on flat ground. I have noticed that when going down hill the gauge will move towards the E and if going up hill it will move toward s the F - backasswards if you ask me.

However, from my experience the gas light usually comes on when the gauge is on the tip of the E. I would have to say the average gallons pumped when the gas light comes on is about 9.4 gallons + or - 0.1 or 0.2 gallons.

Other info:

My best tank:
56.7mpg
607.1 miles on the tank
10.7 gallons to fill up
85.1 miles driven with gas light on = 1.5 gallons reaming in the tank when the gas light comes on - this would be a minimum, for I do not know how much further I could have driven and I was already sweating bullets hoping I didn't run out of gas.
Also, if you do the math then that would put the gas light coming on at about 9.2 gallons used.

Oh, do you need any tips on achieving better mpg? I mean you seem to be doing a good job with that AT.

Last edited by pb and h; 07-23-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by pb and h
Other info:

My best tank:
56.7mpg
607.1 miles on the tank
10.7 gallons to fill up
85.1 miles driven with gas light on = 1.5 gallons reaming in the tank when the gas light comes on - this would be a minimum, for I do not know how much further I could have driven and I was already sweating bullets hoping I didn't run out of gas.
Also, if you do the math then that would put the gas light coming on at about 9.2 gallons used.
I call rubbish...There is no way you are achieving those numbers PB!

Seriously, I've VERY impressed with those numbers.! Makes me wish I would have gotten the manual! Has anyone broken the 60mph barrier in a Fit yet?

I needed the auto though in that I fractured my tibia and fibula (dirt bike mishap) and will probably need an auto for at least another 5-6 months. No way I can clutch right now for sure.

Tomorrow is fill-up day so I'll snap a pic for the non-believers and post up, but it's looking like a 43 - 44 tank (crosses fingers). Yes it will be the same pump with the same shut-off/fill procedure as I'm trying to keep variables as consistent as possible. Had a pretty good head-wind on the way home the last two nights so whatever the numbers are I'm sure I can do better...Especially since this tank had the park-and-eat with a/c episode and a bunch of traffic on it.

Sure I can use all the tips I can get. I will tell you I've registered on Cleanmpg and have been lurking for a few days now. The one thing I've searched for, and still haven't found an answer on, is whether or not I can FAS with the Fit's auto. I'm coasting now as much as possible, and have about 2 miles worth of zero throttle with a minimum of pissed off drivers behind me each day. I'm keeping my speed 5mph under posted, only use a/c when I just can't stand it anymore and hit the cruse button when I'm on the flats.

Since I'm still well within break-in I will hit the 4K+ rpm range on the hill climbs to/from work for about 12-15 seconds, and will decelerate in 3rd to keep compression breaking on...Again for break-in. Once I crack 1000 miles I won't worry about that so much, and keep my rpm down as low as possible w/o lugging.

Right now I'm cruising at, nominally 2250 rpm near 60. Hard to tell exactly w/o a scangauge, but it's nice and low. I also keep my up-shifts under 3k. Lower than that is not only tough to do, but annoying as heck. I do have SOME issues!

Take care and I'll post results tomorrow.

--D

Old 07-24-2008, 08:45 AM
LOL! Good one! I always say if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen - I play to much though!

As far as FASing in the FIT AT, I don't see why not. The only draw back will be not "bump starting". You will actually have to turn the key. I say this because I have done this in my wifes CRV(2008 EX), however she does not have electric power steering like the FIT and that thing is a BEAST to steer if you are going slow. From the experience in the wifes AT, you can only start the car in Park or Neutral. Since you have the paddle shifters that may be a little different. All, I can say is you will have to experiment to figure out if it is worth it to you.

The few things I have to offer are:

-Try and stay below 3k or 2.5K if you can - some say they can
-Coast in Neutral as much as possible and/or FAS/P&G
-From a dead stop shift a such a pace that you can keep up with the traffic and only shift at 2250rpms - (this is still suspect since I have no SG and I am trying it this tank - I should have some results tomorrow.)

Old 07-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Okay, I'm a little bummed...That Taco Bell run, traffic and head-wind, a/c pushed me down a little (still refuse to run without a/c in mid afternoon so I don't even count/add it anymore).

2nd Tank Results:

40.85 mpg
9.807 Gals
400.6 miles
$3.878/gal
$38.04 total

So, as expected down a little (2 mpg) from last week, but IMO, in the noise. There will always be unexpected issues the will decrease (and increase) our mileage.

Next week will be tough in that I'm going to have to run around town most of the week shutteling kids from activity to activity and back and forth to work. Will be a good all around comparo though.

See ya' then!

Old 07-25-2008, 01:19 PM
that is still good for what we have seen from an AT especially without much hypermiling. I have to show this to my brother-in-law, he will be jealous.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Yes, I'm satisfied. I know I'll be able to hit the 45mpg point this fall when the kid's activities slow down a little and temps get cooler (no a/c and windows up).

Hey Wuze! Were are you man? Been a little quiet lately...

Old 07-25-2008, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Nice work 40+ mpg is great in a Fit AT

The more I look at result, the more I think some Fit's just get better Eco than others
ie line up 100 and dive the all the same way the variance would be surprising
my guess +/7mpg whiskers and
+/-3mpg variance

Old 07-25-2008, 04:46 PM
We should swap FITs and compare!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by Rockrover
Hey Wuze! Were are you man? Been a little quiet lately...
Haha seriously calling me out after you ignored my last comment? You tried to play the MT card and failed.

Honestly I still say shit, and you're going to cry, and I'm going to move on.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by Wuze
Haha seriously calling me out after you ignored my last comment? You tried to play the MT card and failed.

Honestly I still say shit, and you're going to cry, and I'm going to move on.

LOL!! Sheeze, just a little friendly ribbing wus. I didn't realize how butt-hurt you are over this.

And I was giving you the benifit of the doubt too...I guess you really are a whinny beotch.

Move on then.

--D

Last edited by Rockrover; 07-25-2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: x

Quick Reply: First Tank Mileage...VERY SATISFIED