General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

First Tank Mileage...VERY SATISFIED

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
Nice work 40+ mpg is great in a Fit AT

The more I look at result, the more I think some Fit's just get better Eco than others
ie line up 100 and dive the all the same way the variance would be surprising
my guess +/7mpg whiskers and
+/-3mpg variance
Thanks PCS. Whiskers? Seat of the pants?

I agree completely. There has to be some variance based on either CARB requirements and/or something like simple variance in injector pulse width. I really doubt the later, so my guess is it's emissions related.

Also I'm thinking the car will "learn" how you drive based on potentiometer movement, throttle position, load etc. Suppose, and I'm just guessing here, you drove the care reasonably hard, then decided to go for eco. Would the parameters that the car assumes be less efficient at that point, and more performance centric? Would re-setting the parameters by powering down the ecu help?

I have yet to drive my Fit hard. I also have yet to go under 40mpg. Cause and effect?

--D

Old 07-25-2008, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by pb and h
We should swap FITs and compare!
Heck yea! I'd do that in a minute. I'd love the chance to hypermile a MT.

I'm getting hooked on this stuff...I'm looking at used Honda Insight prices even! 2 years ago I would have laughed at you as I beltched a thick cloud of diesel soot all over you via my 450hp CTD.

Now I want more mpg!!!

BTW, my best mpg in my CTD was 21mpg. Not too shabby for that beast and 35" tires.

--D

Old 07-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Don't see why I'd be "butt-hurt" about some **** that has nothing to do with me or my life, but sure. Mileage to me is more of a game to see how high it'd go, and even then I'm still messin' around with my car. I'm actually glad the cost of gas is going up 'cause there's less idiots driving on the road. The difference in gas price fluctuates between 3 and 4 bucks, which, in the case for the Fit, is about 10 bucks more per fillup in the absolute extreme case. Cut out your Starbucks, you don't need that ugly-ass V-neck, you really don't need all those movie channels. If 10 bucks is an issue you shouldn't own a car.

I'm not whining, I'm just calling bullshit on you.

Now that that's been said, it needs to be noted that this is, at the end of the day, the eco section of the Fit, and I have the most absolute respect for those who realize that the biggest factor in mileage is the driver. This is the most useful section on these forums and every tip posted here I learn from.

Hypothetically speaking, say you actually are getting these numbers. No respect would be given to you since just look at how you're posting. If you are trying to talk like you're on top of this and poking at me, you're a loser. If you're not poking and being serious in calling me a "whiney bitch," you're an even bigger loser. If it turns out that you actually were bullshitting these numbers, you're the epitome of loser.

I'll just tip this off with a little rationality by saying this. Look at it from the rest of world's perspective: pcs0snq said it, the best anyone has gotten for an automatic is 43MPG with no A/C and virtually all freeway driving. This is from people who are practically driving solely for the numbers, and then you come in saying "hehe just got a new Fit, completely not broken in, A/C on 1/2 of the time, and 1/3 of that tank was city driving! I'm using just a couple hypermiling tricks!"

I doubt it.

To be honest I think the people posting saying "nice job" are being a little too optimistic.

Also if you look at the rest of my posts on these parts, they're all very positive and I love this place. You've successfully singlehandedly made me type an essay up on you.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:04 AM
Wuze, I thought you said you were going to move on?

Seriously, just take a deep breath and look at every single post you've made in my thread, how much profanity and insult you used towards me (a new member), and then ask yourself who's the a**hole.

You can believe or not believe anything you want pal, I don't really care. Just keep your opinionated child like remarks to yourself, and when you grow up a little I'd be happy to listen.

This is the eco forum. Were it says "...got a 40mpg+ tale to tell.."? Well, guess what? I do.

--D

Old 07-26-2008, 01:26 AM
Let's break it down:
Originally Posted by Rockrover
Wuze, I thought you said you were going to move on?
I meant that as my life would tick on regardless of how much crap you post. Honestly I'd like to have meant it like I could just forget about this thread, but you threw much wood into the fire.
Seriously, just take a deep breath and look at every single post you've made in my thread, how much profanity and insult you used towards me (a new member), and then ask yourself who's the a**hole.
Hold on, let me review all my posts.

Mmm I don't see anything wrong. Right from the start I call bullocks, and you're responding back saying "sour grapes." Not necessarily the most neutral path that I assume you wish you'd taken, right?

Not going to lie, I cuss a lot, but that's just who I am. Usually if I do let a word or two come out on here, it's usually for emphasis, positive emphasis (i.e. holy shit, nice car!). Nothing outside of that until now. There really isn't much other than "bullshit" until you started pouring gasoline into the fire.

Playing the "new guy" card? Aww... Must've been your first time breathing last week too, right? This isn't the "new kid transferring to a new school and getting bullied" routine, this is me barking at something that I think is full of it. It could be TOOL (I love you Tyler, just an example) and I would say the same shit. Regardless of this being a forum or not, I'm sure you've taken plenty of heat prior to this, so don't even bother.

... UNLESS THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME TALKING TOO.

I'm coming off as an asshole because, again I'll say it, you're just throwing wood into the fire thinking you're on top of things.
You can believe or not believe anything you want pal, I don't really care. Just keep your opinionated child like remarks to yourself, and when you grow up a little I'd be happy to listen.
Man you're really weakening up from your original top-of-the-mountain posts. You're the one that keeps ticking me off with little comments like when you tried to play the "MT owners are the ones being negative" and the "you're being quiet lately." Both pretty damn immature if you ask me, you're just trying to make yourself feel better.

Read my last post please, I posted a pretty rational and logical explanation as to why I called bullshit (and still do), but you're too busy trying to play the "Wuze is immature" card. Try something else, it's getting old quick.
This is the eco forum. Were it says "...got a 40mpg+ tale to tell.."? Well, guess what? I do.
Actually you can post on this subsection even if you were only getting 5MPG, and people would give you pointers and such to better it. You say this like all stories have to be 40+.

Let's get real, I'm sure you were expecting me to just post idiotic one-liners and keep calling bullshit when you were getting called out originally.

You thought wrong.

My turn to step on my high-horse now and say you're kinda getting destroyed.

Sorry.

(EDIT) Oh yeah, I'd like to mention that I'm thankful that you're all talk about putting me other the "ignored users" for you and never did. If you had I wouldn't have been able to have this much fun.

Last edited by Wuze; 07-26-2008 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:36 AM
would a mod mind deleting all of the worthless arguing posts?

wuze made his point, that he didn't believe it, and rockrover made his retort.

i'm going to unsubscribe this thread now, but I've gotten like 6 emails full of a stupid argument.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by drzenitram
would a mod mind deleting all of the worthless arguing posts?

wuze made his point, that he didn't believe it, and rockrover made his retort.

i'm going to unsubscribe this thread now, but I've gotten like 6 emails full of a stupid argument.
I agree. Sorry for stooping down and arguing on a public forum. This is about miliage and not pride. My bad...No more.

--D

Old 07-26-2008, 01:03 PM
I agree. Sorry for stooping down and arguing on a public forum. This is about miliage and not pride. My bad...No more.

--D
I really do want this entire thread deleted, but once again, you're pathetic. Whether this is a forum or not, you're still arguing with a human being, me. Also why are you disregarding this place as only a forum now? You were hiding behind it as a new member earlier.

You keep talking like you're the better man but you're just as guilty as I am for this, so quit trying.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
ITBL

I can't believe I kept reading this entire tread; both you guys are acting like children.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Wuze
I really do want this entire thread deleted, but once again, you're pathetic. Whether this is a forum or not, you're still arguing with a human being, me. Also why are you disregarding this place as only a forum now? You were hiding behind it as a new member earlier.

You keep talking like you're the better man but you're just as guilty as I am for this, so quit trying.
Dude, ever consider that he just might be getting really good mileage? I don't see why he would lie, there is no gain in that.

I have an AT and I get anywhere from 35-39MPG daily driving and even 45+ on highway-only road trips!
But if I drive like an absolute nutcase and redline shifts it's about 30 which isn't too shabby I suppose.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by TekXoID
I have an AT and I get anywhere from 35-39MPG daily driving and even 45+ on highway-only road trips!
But if I drive like an absolute nutcase and redline shifts it's about 30 which isn't too shabby I suppose.
Right on TekXoID!! I bet there is a lot more of us too! So far this tank, with a bunch of 'city', appears to be right at 40. Still holding to my (so far) 100 miles per quarter tank. I can't wait until my first oil change and 10,000 miles'ish.

I'm still amazed by the difference in the MT's hypermile totals...Gotta' get to 45 too. So what were you doing (conditions, speed etc) to pull off 45+ ? That's my new near-term goal.

--D

--D

Old 07-26-2008, 04:42 PM
I have a sport AT, tires set at proper PSI as per Honda, 32psi cold. Very good numbers buddy! I average about 35MPG with a mix of city and highway driving. Best I've gotten has been high 40s which isn't bad at all in my opinion, granted I was drafting a semi doing 55MPH and had no AC on and wiindows were up the entire tank (road trip across country) but it got old quick doing that and I was back up to 75-80 the next tank lol.

One thing I wanted to point out, coasting in neutral in an AT is NOT recommended by any manufacturer, including Honda, unless you have a double clutched gearbox such as SMG or DSG, due to the fact that there is not sufficient fluid pressure in the vital parts of the transmission while the car is moving. It's like when you see people towing CR-Vs behind their RVs while it's on all four wheels... makes you cringe because you know they're going to eventually screw something up. You are actually hurting your mileage by doing this as well since your engine has to constantly inject fuel to stay at idle rather than letting go of the throttle while in D, which completely shuts off the injectors and uses momentum to keep going. (This is all according to Honda of North America... give the customer service line a call they are really knowledgeable, as to be expected). Do what you want though, I'm not jacking your thread or thinking I know more than everybody I'm just trying to help because I'd hate to see you have a bad transmission after doing this for a while, it's not worth any gains that could possibly come out of it, if any.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Right on TekXoID!! I bet there is a lot more of us too! So far this tank, with a bunch of 'city', appears to be right at 40. Still holding to my (so far) 100 miles per quarter tank. I can't wait until my first oil change and 10,000 miles'ish.

I'm still amazed by the difference in the MT's hypermile totals...Gotta' get to 45 too. So what were you doing (conditions, speed etc) to pull off 45+ ? That's my new near-term goal.

--D

--D
I temporarily increased tires to 51 for the trip but I prefer 40 which is about as stiff as I can tolerate, and filled up on gas. A nice constant cruise with no traffic interruptions all the way there, slip streaming behind SUV's going about 65-70MPH from Columbus to Cleveland. (320 Mile round trip)

No A/C but fresh air+fan was on the whole way, and my gas light wasn't even on when I got back! I filled up right off the highway when I got back because I wanted a raw highway MPG figure; it only took 7 gallons so 45MPG.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by TekXoID
Dude, ever consider that he just might be getting really good mileage? I don't see why he would lie, there is no gain in that.
I'm really glad you didn't read this entire thread.

Look at your own most recent post and then look at it like this. Just look at the absolute extreme measures you're taking to get about as equal mileage as Rockrover. You drove no A/C, overly inflated tires, just straight freeway, and got 45. Then look at his situation: aren't you at least a little baffled? You're driving strictly for the numbers, he's driving like he's going on a family vacation.

Last edited by Wuze; 07-26-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:18 PM
When I pop into neutral I feel significantly less drag, and thus, roll further than while in drive. If I have to break/slow down I always keep it in neutral and (think I) do feel the injectors shut off (slight hesitation).

On the coasting issue, are you sure that was with the engine on? Not that I doubt that HNA would say not too, but I've always known with other automatics that as long as the vehicle is idling (700-900rpm) the torque converter is spinning just fine and so is the pump and therefore input/output shafts, bearings, bands and valley's are getting the proper lube they need. Now with the engine off, the pump isn't turning and no lubrication is flowing (preaching to the choir I know).

Anywho, great numbers. I just knew I couldn't be the only guy on the planet with a 40-43mph AT Fit!

Thanks for the posts guys! So what is the MOST/BEST reported mileage in a AT Fit? I betcha' a super hypermiler has hit the majic 50mpg mark.

--D

Old 07-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Rockrover, you actually use more gas in neutral and risk damaging your transmission in the long term by doing so, even with the engine on.

Honda saying it is a no-no to put it in neutral while driving should be good enough reason for you to stop doing it, besides, unlike coasting in gear which uses no gas, idling while coasting consumes gas, so you save more gas coasting in gear for less distance than coasting while idling in neutral for a longer distance.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:48 PM
I'll give it a try on my commute next week.

Just to be clear, your saying use P&G with hills rather than a steady throttle/speed?

--D

Old 07-27-2008, 08:28 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Arashi
It's like when you see people towing CR-Vs behind their RVs while it's on all four wheels... makes you cringe because you know they're going to eventually screw something up.
In fact the reason you see all those CRV's (and Civics and Accords) being towed is because those people did their research and learned that, with a bit of simple preparation, AT Honda's can be flat towed without harm. My folks towed a Civic many, many many miles, then a CRV. They still have the CRV. No transmission problems, not one, ever. They did their research.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:06 AM
I'll give it a try on my commute next week.

Just to be clear, your saying use P&G with hills rather than a steady throttle/speed?

--D
I'm saying that where/whenever you can coast, do it in gear, not in neutral.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:05 AM
I have definitely noticed I get better mileage when I use premium, plus the engine is more responsive... it's worth the extra 20 cents per gallon. As far as the neutral thing goes, it is ultimately your car that you are paying for. I was just givin ya some friendly advice and for me, if any (which I personally, heavily doubt) gains are to be had from it, they are not worth even jeopardizing anything on my car for the sake of a few fractions of an MPG. Try a tank without doing the neutral thing and using 91, to see if there is a difference, if anything in the name of pure science

Quick Reply: First Tank Mileage...VERY SATISFIED