General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Thank God I Bought The Base!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:53 AM
I just bought the F15X with the 200 HP engine. One awesome jet ski. I am not trying to "justify" anything. I am simply pleased that I did not fall for things I personally won't use. For example, I bought a Tacoma last year and dropped 900 bucks on alloy wheels. Well after 1 year I certainly wish I had that 900 bucks instead of alloy wheels I could care less about now. If your car is your toy then I agree completely that the S is a no brainer but when your toys are not your car then the S is basically a waste of money. Sure I think it looks more attractive but in the end I sit INSIDE the car, and lets face facts, the Honda Fit will NEVER win any contests when it comes to aesthetics. I am already thinking of waiting for the end of 09 and find a new model preowned with under 5K on it. This way I get all the extra bells and whistles and still am not out of pocket over $1000.00. BTW: Just bought a 24 inch Mac with the cash I saved on my choice of cars. So it comes down to what is more important to you. For myself I will take the Base and the Mac. Others will prefer the bells and whistles of the "S" In the end everyone wins because it is the same car.

Last edited by SlavetotheHonda; 07-18-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by SlavetotheHonda
If your car is your toy then I agree completely that the S is a no brainer but when your toys are not your car then the S is basically a waste of money.
My Fit will be just for business use, wouldn't call it a toy but driving over 30,000 per year in the thing like yourself and I it would be better (imo) to invest a little more in it to get exactly what you want. I like the idea of of the larger wheels for a little better handling, cruise control for those long trips, higher resale value, keyless alarm system, better sound system and i-pod hookup to help kill the time. The body kit is just an added bonus. For me it is a nice convenience to have these without having to take the time to order and then install each one individually.

The reason why I and others see you as justifying your purchase is that you have started 3 threads now comparing the base vs. sport after buying your Fit and stating you wanted the sport. If you are happy with it then that is great, but what other reason is there for starting the threads post-purchase?

Old 07-18-2008, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
buying a car with cash = not the best idea.

If you have the cash... why not invest it into a money market or the like, finance the car, and use the interest off the money market to pay the car payment.

That way... when you are done... the car is paid off, and you still have your $15K.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by HarumaN

If you have the cash... why not invest it into a money market or the like, finance the car, and use the interest off the money market to pay the car payment.

That way... when you are done... the car is paid off, and you still have your $15K.
Financing is an effective way to purchase a vehicle IF the financing rate is low. Usually, financing a vehicle lasts somewhere between 24-60 months and every month you still have to make a payment, so you'd have to dip into the money you've set aside and invested every month. Another factor would be what type of return you can expect in lets say a long term financing plan of 60 months. Most financing options have increasing financing rates as you extend the payment period. However, if it is a special promotion like 0% over 60 months, then go for it. When you buy in cash, you'll have more leverage with the dealer and they will be more willing to lower the price. You'll have to do the calculations to determine which option will yield the best return for you, pending your investments.

BTW, you should be able to install at least the Sat Radio by yourself, it's easy to do and will save you money and possibly damage to your car. Not sure how your radar is hooked up, but if it is hard wired, then yes get it professionally installed. If you have the option of using an outlet, then go that route and save a few bucks. Just make sure you grab a one-to-three or similar outlet for your power since the Fit only has one outlet up front.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:57 PM
I took the route of finance. I'm a poor twenty-six year old on paper. (I have an under the table job as well as a part-time job) I believe the whole purchase came out to 22.6. 3K over the price of the Fit itself. Luckily there is no penalty for paying off the loan early. The APR I got was 7.4
My first payment is in August for 327 a month. Probably not the best way to do things but I REALLY wanted a Honda Fit more than anything and my old car (2000 Prism) was falling apart, literally.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
i could have done the same. but here in California you get penalties for paying cash for a car (from what i have been told). so i put 10k down, and it will be paid off in the next 2 months. i have made 2 years of payments, saved at the same time for the pay off. Plus, financing hels out the ole' FICO score 790+ club

Old 07-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
SlavetotheHonda is like my wife...she doesnt care about cars but
yet she likes spending on coach hand bags and shoes...and many more
shoes...and more handbags and outfits.

so you're like a woman. jk jk you're just not into cars like us and
that's fine.

if someone gave me a 200hp jetski i would sell it and use that money
to mod my cars.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:48 PM
my finace charge works out to sixty cents a day for five years, i can pay it off early penalty free and all my investments get to still make me money instead of taking some out to pay for the car. thats what i call a no brainer.so i dont have to drive around in something i didnt want in the first place, the sport is just so much better to me.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Can we drop this and be a happy FitFreak family?

Old 07-18-2008, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
this is silly. how is it that someone who has liquid funds to purchase a vehicle would have been TOTALLY SCREWED if he opted for the fit sport? surely, even given the stuff you added, it should be of little consequence to you?

isn't tinting cheap as hell in florida anyway?

and your post almost makes it sound like its the extras you get with the sport (body kit, better radio,leather wheel etc) would have PHYSICALLY prevented you from getting the stuff you wanted.

if i had the dough to buy a car cash (even if it is 'only' 14k) i don't think i would stress over having paid a couple grand extra for some better standard items. If you are cutting it that close....phew, maybe its time to look into simply NOT spending so much money on material things.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:09 PM
yeah this thread was kinda weird to begin with and now it's just pointless. Finance or no finance, the OP still came off as if he/she was trying to save $$ by buying the base but then added all this unnessecary crap (GPS, Valentine, etc.) I was still going to question your frugalness, but then I saw your post about buying a 24" Mac. :X.

This post is weird because it comes off as a "I'm better off for having a base" thread as if it's retaliation against a "base Fit's suck" thread or something. Last time I checked, there wasn't one.

Either way, the car is still a Fit, so just be pleased with it. Hell, I almost bought a base, but I couldn't live without cruise control (lots a trips between Kansas and Colorado during the snow season) so spent a little more $$. If not for cruise, I'd be a base owner; that's my story, but I'm not saying my car is the better of the two options.

The best Fit IMHO, is the Kraftwerks Fit.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Bahumut
yeah this thread was kinda weird to begin with and now it's just pointless. Finance or no finance, the OP still came off as if he/she was trying to save $$ by buying the base but then added all this unnessecary crap (GPS, Valentine, etc.) I was still going to question your frugalness, but then I saw your post about buying a 24" Mac. :X.
Not to mention two supposed jetski's that cost as much as the Fit.. each.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Awfully smug aren't we, mister Porsche/Audi/blahblah owner?

*runs awaaaaaaaaaay*

Old 07-18-2008, 04:07 PM
The vast majority of owners are not using their cars as I do. BASIC TRANSPORTATION. I rack up over 30K a year. I paid cash for the car. If I financed it's a no brainer but after paying cash I now have to fork out roughly $500-$600 in necessities like installation of my nav, weathertech floor mats, Valentine 1 radar detector etc. It is very easy for people who FINANCE to think the base is not a wise choice. If I were paying finance charges then the small amount extra for the S is well worth it. Not in my case. My tires are less expensive and at 30K a year I buy tires. My car sits outside in the Florida weather. My 2 HONDA jet ski's are in the garage. So for people like me the BASE is a NO BRAINER. I could care less about modifying this car, I have owned a 911, Boxster, Audi S4, Mini Cooper, S2000. I wised up and bought a car that allows me to buy other toys like my 24K in Jet Ski's. Now what would you prefer? Putting your money towards fun toys like Jet Ski's or a spoiler and cruise control?
well, i have absolutely no problem with you loving your base, but rather, i am confused on several points you mentioned, you do "basic transportation" and "careless about mod" but you wanted to burn 3 bills for V1

the saving you got from getting base vs sport, doesn't you anywhere close to jet ski, not even after the finance charge

i dont see anything related anything that you saying

but as long as you like your base

Old 07-18-2008, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
First of all congratulation with your new car. Hope you will enjoy it like the rest of us

Now what would you prefer? Putting your money towards fun toys like Jet Ski's or a spoiler and cruise control?
I'll take that spoiler and cruise control any day!
Here in my country we have only two models to select from;base 1,4L manual or base 1.4L automatic (CVT) transmission... the spoilers are extra...

I selected the CVT version and put in about 6000US$ in extra gadgets from Honda for my car to get it as close to what I want (like the sport in US). And then I will put in some more when time comes (and I have more money). And I use the car as a basic transportation....

I don't see any trouble adding your personal touch to just a "basic transportation" car?

I have added a NAV unit that cost me about 6000US$. I have after that used about 700$ in tint, 600$ in other cosmetic parts (not installed yet).
And, no, I still cant see the trouble in putting in some extra money to get the best model you can get for your money if you want it.

"necessities like .... Valentine 1 radar detector etc"
I dont see tne necessity in that... so you see, some people would priority diffrent than you...

Good luck with your car, and I'll hope you post some images here of it and post some comments on how you liked the car.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:54 PM
agreed

Originally Posted by McLovin
Can we drop this and be a happy FitFreak family?
I still wonder if people from the Toyota forums come over every couple of weeks to rub the Honda lovers fur in the wrong direction and then chuckle when we freak!

Old 07-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by feddup
I still wonder if people from the Toyota forums come over every couple of weeks to rub the Honda lovers fur in the wrong direction and then chuckle when we freak!
we get the last laugh though, we dont drive toyotas

Old 07-18-2008, 05:07 PM
yaris

Originally Posted by Fit_to_be_tied
I loved my 85 MR2 dearly and my econobox research started with the yaris but the Fit kept appearing in the yaris reviews and kicking it's ass. I also had an 87 Integra that was the best bang per $ (paid $850 and drove it for 3 yrs) I ever got. Anyway the fit kicks ass and I'm probably a Honda convert for life. Let the toyota people jack with us!

Old 07-18-2008, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HarumaN

and you build/boost your credit

Old 07-18-2008, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit_to_be_tied
thats the truth. i work for toyota, i know who works on toyotas. i know who drives, and how they are driven in their first miles. lol. i wouldnt buy a toyota after working for toyota

Quick Reply: Thank God I Bought The Base!!