General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Hi From Colorado!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi From Colorado!

Hi everyone- just wanted to check in and say hi. I'm a proud owner of a brand new MR '08 Fit Sport MT- I bought it on June 11th.

Yeah, I already knew about the '09 model, but my previous car, an audi allroad 6MT, was due for another $3K in work, and frankly, I had had enough. (I was side-swiped a few years ago during a blizzard and the car, even though repaired, was never quite same since then). I'm a sales rep, and I drive on the road for a living in CO, NM, UT, and WY. That said, I average about 25k per year on my car. Yes, I'll miss the little things this winter like AWD, heated mirrors, seats, incredible speed, sunroofs, yada, yada...Things I don't miss? Premium fillups at $75 a pop, and still averaging 21mpg on a good day. Oh, yeah, and those pesky trips to fix the suspension every 8 months or so...

Anyhow, I've got just about 2k on the odo so far, and everything is great! $31 to fill up? Check. Lots of smiles as I pass people on the road? Check. Room to fit my doggie in the back but also Fit my bike in there, too? Check. I love the looks on my friends faces when I show them the interior and how much room there is- you can almost see the lightbulb turn on in their heads.

I'm totally happy with my purchase, regardless if some think of it as a downgrade from the audi. I think it's just plain smart! When I first moved out to CO many moons ago I drove a '91 Civic HB, and I took that thing nearly everywhere without getting stuck. This little Fit takes me back to those days, and it really is fun to drive!

For the really gnarly storms, I still have a built-up truck that I can use. But, I still plan on seeing how well this performs in the snow, at least around town.

As far as upgrades, I'm not into "tuner" or lowering my car as much as adding upgrades that will add comfort and a little luxury to my long drives out in the vast open space. First thing this fall I plan on upgrading the tires. Nokian WR? Also will be needing some chains to stow just in case. Second thing I plan is to get around to installing the XM that I took out of my allroad; I still haven't figured the proper placement yet- but I plan on researching the threads here to get a few ideas. I also plan on adding a bit more insulation or better carpet, in addition to all-weather floormats. Oh yeah, dark tint. I like my privacy!! Other things I'd like to do include a leather upgrade to the seats (I have a husky), but that is last on the list. Depending on what other upgrades Honda decides for the '10-'11 Fit, I may just wait. But for now, I'm totally loving my new little car. I still pass 90% of the cars on the road, so I'm not missing the twin turbo that much.

Here's a pic of Fitzy

Anyhoo, thanks for reading and thanks to all the supporters for a good site to call home. Edmunds was starting to bug me.

Oh yeah, funny story. The day after I bought (F)it I had to drive to Aspen. On the way back I stopped in the road as there was a baby bighorn mountain sheep just standing there, licking the ground. I guess it ended up getting surprised, as it looked up at the car right as I stopped. It jumped up- straight up- scared poopless, and landed on the sloping hood of my brand new Fit. It then slid off and proceeded to cross the road. Scared, but not hurt. My odometer read 300 miles at this point. Thankfully, only the bra and a slight scuff on the clear coat! No dents or scratches, but what a way to break in the car!!

Cheers,

~Jacquelyne

Old 07-29-2008, 06:47 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
welcome to fitfreak Jacquelyne!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Formerly "bitoy"
5 Year Member
welcome to FF and enjoy your stay and your fit, I guess bighorn was just checking your hood.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
hahaha thats quite the story. Welcome to FF, and have fun with your fit

Old 07-29-2008, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
welcome to the community!

as far as comfort, i would suggest getting the OEM arm rest import from Japan. the only down side is that they cost $350 or more. you also have the option of a few other aftermarket ones around $100

Old 07-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat
welcome to the community!

as far as comfort, i would suggest getting the OEM arm rest import from Japan. the only down side is that they cost $350 or more. you also have the option of a few other aftermarket ones around $100

Thanks! I'm assuming the main source of reliable aftermarket vendors are listed on this site. I will brouse around. Oh yeah, I'm glad I found a good 'dead pedal', too! I was getting ready to rig up something of my own, but I like the professional look much better! Gives me something to tap my foot on when I'm rockin' out.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Smile Welcome Fitzy!

Nice color choice.

I love the MT. It's fun and will save you a lot of money on gas.

I also recommend the center armrest when you get around to it. It greatly adds to my comfort when driving. (45 minute commute each way every day!)

If the sun bothers your eyes and you find the Fit's standard sunvisors (inside windshield visors) are too small, you might try adding some visor extenders to it. I did and use them every day. I drive East in the morning and West in the evening, so you can see why I need it.

Please update us with pictures when you accessorize.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Smile Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome aboard! My Spot (my NHBP) says "hi" to Fitzy! Anyway, in your introduction, you touched on a point that I am actually concerned with: how is the Fit going to handle in ice/snow/sleet etc...?

I don't have another car that I can go plowing through the Boston snow with, just my Fit. I hope that it can handle the weather.

My Civic's were able to deal with whatever I threw at them. Usually nothing more serious than getting hung up on a snow bump, or fishtailing a bit.

Here's hoping!

Old 07-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Hey how's it going I'm a new member too but I got my car only 15 hours ago! I'm glad to hear that your car wasn't damaged other than that scuff you said you recieved. You sound like you know a lot about your direction of where you're going with your car so I'll probably be updating on what you add to your car because I'm also looking for a more luxurious ride than just more horse power! Glad to know there's someone else looking for the same thing as I am!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by julianisjulian
Hey how's it going I'm a new member too but I got my car only 15 hours ago! I'm glad to hear that your car wasn't damaged other than that scuff you said you recieved. You sound like you know a lot about your direction of where you're going with your car so I'll probably be updating on what you add to your car because I'm also looking for a more luxurious ride than just more horse power! Glad to know there's someone else looking for the same thing as I am!
Cool- congrats on the new Fit, too! The newness still hasn't worn off yet to me. I'm always volunteering to pick up lunch for the 3 other folks in my office. They think I'm being sweet but little do they know I just want to get out and drive my little car. hee

First thing I have had to relearn with FWD is how easy it is to peel out, especially if there is a little gravel .

Old 07-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Retired Moderator
Welcome to the forum, enjoy

Tyler

Old 07-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Haha yeah I love driving my car around! You can look cool by giving others rides and you can enjoy the sexiness of the Honda Fit!

Old 07-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Nice MR, welcome to FitFreak ...I've had my BOM about the same amount of time as you- I purchase mine on 6/17/08.
Sounds like you have some nice plans for upgrades, If you can, def go for the leather. I did, and I absolutely love it. The original seats picked up way too much lint for my taste. Tint is def next on my list.
So far the only mods I've done are my Ipod gadgets, custom color matched floor mats (graphite/orange/silver) and of course, the leather.
I want to do more, but budget just won't allow right now.
Hope you enjoy your new Fit!