General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

De-acceleration, this is normal right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
De-acceleration, this is normal right?

I notice with my auto Fit, when I let up on the gas, it de-accelerates more then any other auto tranny car I've driven. The rpms drop down in a hurry and you would almost think the brakes were sticking. This is normal behavior for this car, isn't it? It doesn't do it so much when I'm going very slow in stop and go traffic. Is this part of the "drive-by-wire" throttle system? I'm not so sure I like this aspect of the car.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:57 PM
I was just commenting to a friend of mine the other day about this very feature. The tranny downshifts amazingly. It's nice when you slow down to take a turn and can accelerate out of it without a hard, sudden shift or when you come up to a red that turns green before you have stopped.

It's the most manual-like behaving automatic I've ever seen.

I, for one, enjoy and like it.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by pepe le pew
I was just commenting to a friend of mine the other day about this very feature. The tranny downshifts amazingly. It's nice when you slow down to take a turn and can accelerate out of it without a hard, sudden shift or when you come up to a red that turns green before you have stopped.

It's the most manual-like behaving automatic I've ever seen.

I, for one, enjoy and like it.
I'm with Pepe- I think that this is a very good feature. Along with many others, I do not like the annoying DBW accelerator lag when you hit the gas pedal though. About 15 of us are waiting for delivery of the Blitz Throttle Controller which will certainly eliminate the lag, but I don't know what it will do in the engine braking effect when you take your foot off the gas.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
So when you're cruising down the highway going 65 or so and you let up on the gas and it decelerates, it's actually shifting down to fourth?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:47 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
or maybe you're just feeling wind drag.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
My experience...

To me this car coasts like no other. When exiting the interstate/highway, I can let up on the gas about 1/4 mile from the exit ramp, and coast all the way to the red light at the top of the exit ramp. And a lot of exit ramps around here are an uphill grade.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by geepondy
So when you're cruising down the highway going 65 or so and you let up on the gas and it decelerates, it's actually shifting down to fourth?
No. The trans. does not down-shift when you lift off the accelerator at highway speeds.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
I see my CVT works a little diffrent. It de-accelerate when I let up the throttle but the revs increases a bit first. And I just love to be able to motor-brake (or what you call it in English...) with this AT, because we have lot of hills here in my region.

But there is a behavior that is normal for this car but I still find it a bit strange even after owning the car for a year and I have droven it 25.000km;
When coasting down a long hill the motor-braking starts and the revs goes up a bit, lets say normaly it is about 1500-1800rpm and when coasting downhill it goes up to 2100-2300rpm, depending how steep the hill is and how fast I'm going. And the strange behavior appears when I get down from that hill to flat roads and I hit the throttle to maintain the speed: the rpm goes DOWN!

But anyway, motor-braking whit this CVT is no problem. It is almost like any MT car I have driven. The de-acceleration is not very hard, like stepping on the brakepedals, but very soft. To cruise on higways I can just hold the throttle pedal a little in and the motor-brake function does not kick in.