General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Dropped Fit's and econo.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:24 PM
Dropped Fit's and econo.

I searched around on this forum and didn't see anything that suggests dropping a Fit can increase FE. Make sense that it would. Anyone have results that prove it, with springs alone? I like the look of dropped Fits, but want increase FE performance not just looks.

--D

Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Makes sense to me

Old 08-01-2008, 12:02 AM
I have a feeling this one is one that few have really considered...That is FE and lowering. In the event you pick a spring, and maybe swaybar, that balances your ride, it's gonna' be real tough to drive it like a HM'er!

In the end though it looks like the price for springs has really dropped since the early day's. Wouldn't be too much of an investment to try at least.

With a 1 - 1.5" drop, what is daily driving like? I've got a few speed-bumps and humps I've got to negotiate every now and then.

--D

Old 08-01-2008, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
i have a 2-inch drop. daily driving is really no different than stock springs. sure, it's a bit stiffer, but i've only bottomed out once in the 4 or 5 months i've had them on. i recently observed a 46mpg average on the tank in my AT. i also have a SRI and a cat-back exhaust. That probably helps, but the drop certainly isn't going to hurt mileage.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:36 AM
I dropped mines 2 inches. So far FE difference isn't big. Still getting close to 30 mpg average on both city and highway on sport auto. But I do notice a difference in the noisiness on the freeway. Don't know if it's just me...but it doesn't seem as loud with my windows rolled all the way up.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:41 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
change in fuel economy from lowering a fit is negligible if anything.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:44 AM
5 Year Member
Is that the reason you want to drop your Fit FE?

Old 08-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
Is that the reason you want to drop your Fit FE?
Part of the reason.

While I'm into looks, I found out a long time ago that function over form is a much better way to go. Of course that 'function' MUST look good too!

In other words, if I know (or think I know) that a 1 - 1.5" drop will add FE, and maybe even make her a tiny bit more fun in the corners, then I'll drop the dime. If it's soly for cosmetics then no thanks.

--D

Old 08-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Burbio
i have a 2-inch drop. daily driving is really no different than stock springs. sure, it's a bit stiffer, but i've only bottomed out once in the 4 or 5 months i've had them on. i recently observed a 46mpg average on the tank in my AT. i also have a SRI and a cat-back exhaust. That probably helps, but the drop certainly isn't going to hurt mileage.
Burbio, where have you been dude!? 45mpg avg in a AT? Is that a tank avg or out and back avg? (shhhhh. careful, people might not like to hear it)

So how do you guy's (droped) like parking, general running around, and overall practicality? Are you trashing your lower lip on parking curbs/bollards? Are you doing .0001 mph over drainage swales? Some of the kids running around make me laugh every time I hear their rides rev to 7K, then decel to .0001mph, and repeat for every speed hump in the neighborhood. While I know every mod has a compromise, there are limits!

--D

Old 08-01-2008, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rockrover
Part of the reason.

While I'm into looks, I found out a long time ago that function over form is a much better way to go. Of course that 'function' MUST look good too!

In other words, if I know (or think I know) that a 1 - 1.5" drop will add FE, and maybe even make her a tiny bit more fun in the corners, then I'll drop the dime. If it's soly for cosmetics then no thanks.

--D
I'd than say get-r-done, as it will not make FE worse.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
Burbio, where have you been dude!? 45mpg avg in a AT? Is that a tank avg or out and back avg? (shhhhh. careful, people might not like to hear it)
haha that was average for the tank, not out and back. if i had measured out and back i would have probably observed 48, but after my road trip i had to do some city driving which lowered my overall.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:35 AM
The only concern with springs is that you would only get springs. The stock shocks won't last long with a drop. I have read that some only lasted a year after that. If you are going to go then go all the way and get a fully adjustable suspension, mucho dinero, but better all the way around. I have been looking into them for a while and megan seems to offer a fairly reasonable one. I have always thought the FIT sits up to damn high. Honda-tech.com has some good deals on suspension products in their vendor sale section. I have purchased the K-sports for my integra back in 2006 for a good price and loved them.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:45 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pb and h
The only concern with springs is that you would only get springs. The stock shocks won't last long with a drop.
That's where I'm at right now too. I'd love to do springs, for looks, handling and FE reasons, but not at the expense daily practicality or blowing out the shocks before their time. Swifts seem to be the most practical springs from a function-over-form standpoint BTW; just be sure to get the Swifts made specifically for USDM Fits.

I'm also looking at aero smoothing the underside. I have a Beatrush front underpanel, but I bought it 'used' (never installed) and it arrived sans installation hardware/instructions. Still waiting to get enough to at least attempt an installation. I've held it up under there and it definitely should make an aero difference. After I get that end settled I'll see what makes sense in the back to reduce the parachute effect of the rear bumper.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
The only possibilities of increasing friction from dropping the car are if a change in axle angles increases the energy needed to turn the wheels, or if dropping the car results in uncorrectable alignment problems. I'm keeping mine at stock height, unless I go with coilovers due to worrying about the shocks not keeping up with the springs.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:55 PM
I guess I'm having trouble understanding why a spring would cause a shock to blow out prematurely. The shock will be seeing less up-travel more often. If the spring is too stiff then the oscillation of the spring *might* exceed the dampening characteristics of the shock (felt as bouncing more than stock) but so what? Unless the whole car is bouncing like jumping bean, the shock should be okay. At worst there would be shock fade, but in order for that to happen I'm sure the ride would be almost unbearable. It sounds like the stock shocks are crap (as most manufactures are). I can't imagine a reasonable quality shock for the Fit would be all that much $. Have the spring manufactures worked with Bilstien for a correct valved aftermarket shock? Sure a Fox remote res. rebuildable shock would work great, but jussssst a tad overkill in a daily driver Fit IMO. Heck a quality monroe (sp?) would/should work fine.

While I love the idea of co's (heck I have 4each, 14" travel 2.5" body, tripple rate, remote reservoir Kings on my rock buggy http://www.kingshocks.com/prerunner.php?action=pre_runner_shocks ) I would have trouble justifying them for the Fit right now. Springs and a good quality shock no problemo.

So what's available in the aftermarket shock scene (non-bling).

WDB, I'm very serious about smoothing the belly as well. Specifically the rear bumper. I forget the posters' name that did the sheet metal smoothing, but I'd love to do something like it. Sounds like a solid 3%+ increase in FE for only a few bucks in aluminum, a bunch of pop-rivets and an afternoon.

Giterdun! An yes the Fit does sit too high IMO as well.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:34 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
I guess I'm having trouble understanding why a spring would cause a shock to blow out prematurely.
I'm relatively new to Hondas but according to a friend its been that way with other models also. I think they bottom out.
So what's available in the aftermarket shock scene (non-bling).
Sadly, nothing. Some folks have adapted a Chevy air shock for use on the rear, to help with heavy loads. Then there are the bling bling Mugens and whatnot. Koni has said they have no plans for USDM Fits.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
I searched around on this forum and didn't see anything that suggests dropping a Fit can increase FE. Make sense that it would. Anyone have results that prove it, with springs alone? I like the look of dropped Fits, but want increase FE performance not just looks.

--D
Since you don't change the aerodynamics why would you expect increased FE. Now if you put narrower ties and wheels on that could change rhe FE wth less rolling resistance and cross sectional area.
PS anyone seen the new Yokohama FE tire supposedly with 18% less rolling resistance. With those 4 grooves the cornering can't be better but we'll see.
cheers.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
theoretically a slammed car will get better fuel economy than a lifted car. but the difference between a stock fit and a slammed fit might be small.

Name:  new3-39.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  72.1 KB

im pretty low and i get consistent 50+mpg trips

Old 08-02-2008, 05:09 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Since you don't change the aerodynamics why would you expect increased FE.
Because by lowering it you do change the aerodynamics, specifically the amount of air that goes under the car.
PS anyone seen the new Yokohama FE tire supposedly with 18% less rolling resistance. With those 4 grooves the cornering can't be better but we'll see.
Sounds like a great question for the "Shoes" section.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wdb
Sounds like a great question for the "Shoes" section.
No that's funny right their

Quick Reply: Dropped Fit's and econo.