General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage on 5MT Fit sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Mileage on 5MT Fit sport

I average 36mpg on my 2008 with a 5MT and sport package car. I did change the front spoiler but nothing drastic. This is running 87 octane fuel in the car and being sparingly on the A/C in the summer. I drained and recharged the A/C due to it didn't cool right and the compressor sounded funny when it engaged. So I charged it back to specs (only pulled 8oz out from the factory) and it runs a lot smoother now with the A/C going. Ran 89 octane fuel for 3 and a half days to work at speeds of 65-75 mph and no A/C in the morning and ran it the whole time in the afternoon. Sitting on 360 miles to this tank of fuel and about to put fuel in it. I'll be on a trip tomorrow on the interstate the entire trip and the last trip I took was to Savanah GA, 8 hours of driving between speeds of 70-105 mph (chasing women, lol) and got 39.6 mpg out of my Fit! Enjoyable car, smooth, quiet and one of the best I've ever owned.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Treat it right(like women) and she will last you a long time and you will be happy with her. That sounds about right, I achieved a 39mpg tank driving from Columbia,SC to Disney World last September doing speeds of 90-95mph on I-95. This car gets great mpg any way you drive it but if you are wanting more mpg, slow down and try some new techniques mentioned in the mileage threads. Enjoy.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
High speeds

Hey Guys,

This is the first post that I have seen where two guys talk about driving very fast. I am wondering if Rubix really did drive his fit at 105 mph? But if he did, what kind of terrain and/or tailwind?

I have mentioned octane numbers on here before, and you both used high test gas for a while. In New Mexico, reg gas is 86 octane, and I am on a trip right now in Denver, where reg gas is 85 octane. I burn 86 in my Fit all the time, and I am happy with performance and good gas mileage...I am really not too sure about using 85 octane.

Let me know opinions about using high test. I have driven my Fit over 80 mph, but only for a short time. Any other fast Fit drivers out there?

Old 08-03-2008, 09:41 PM
I have noticed no difference in 87 vs. 89 but then again I didn't have a scan gauge when I conducted the test. You should not use less than 87 octane but then again that will depend on altitude I believe.

OH, the FIT can get up there, trust me on that.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pb and h
OH, the FIT can get up there, trust me on that.
+1. Higher than the figure mentioned earlier.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Okay. Yes, I have driven on I-20 E to Atlanta, GA at the ranges from 75 - 105 mph . The car handled great, and was smoothe all the way through all traffic merges. I know I could get better mileage if I had slowed down, but I had been on the road for almost 5 hours and was ready to get back to N.W. AL! The Fit is, by far, more impressive than the attributes that meet the eye of any car. That car finds new ways to impress me! There are many things that my college classes on cars, gas engines and diesels taught me, but I find more information out on these newer vehicles now every day and learn more. I can't really hypermile mine due to flat land and traffic signals here don't stay still for very long, by the time i shut if off, i'm starting it back up.

The terrain on my trip when I made that drive was up and down grade, but interstate 90% of the way. It wasn't bad, but when I got into the city, the speed of traffic flow was around 80, so anything around 100 was simply a little faster than moderate passing speed. I didn't hit those limits often, but with the windows down, no A/C, and wide open on the interstate, i did get almost 40mpg out of my car. by the way... the max speed limit to the governor on the car is 120 (hit that one too to see what it was once...)

...Just went to ATL again this past weekend, and ran between 70-80 the whole way, with the A/C going almost the entire time, and still got 37 mpg out of it. Just food for thought. Hope this helps guys, and thanks for all suggestions!