General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fumoto Drain Valve: Best 30 Bucks Ever Spent

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Fumoto Drain Valve: Best 30 Bucks Ever Spent

I always owned sports cars and knew about the Fumoto but like a Moron I never got one. Well I installed it in my 2008. Well I had to dump the oil ASAP and remove the valve since I ordered a 2009 and need to hand the car over to the dealer so this morning at work I simply drove the car up my rhino ramps, placed a Clorox bottle under the engine, Put a hose on the Fumoto, and opened the valve.
Walked away and 10 minutes later the bottle was full, I put the old plug back in and was finished without spilling a SINGLE DROP.
If your like me and trust nobody when it comes to changing your oil you GOTTA buy the Fumoto. Get the one with the nipple for the hose, this valve makes changing oil an absolute breeze. I LOVE IT.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Which valve

I am looking at the valves online. Do we '08 Fitters need any adapters for the valve?

Thanks.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by dajonga
I am looking at the valves online. Do we '08 Fitters need any adapters for the valve?

Thanks.
The only "adapters" available from Fumoto are extra paper gaskets. The OP wrote about his Fumoto valve that he ordered with the hose nipple. By adding a length of hose to the valve, the oil drains into any container with no mess. If you buy the valve without the hose nipple, you may need one extra gasket to adjust the orientation of the valve once it is tightened into the oil pan threads. The valve opens and closes with a small, spring loaded lever. You don't want the lever to be on the bottom of the valve when it is in the open position because that would allow hot oil to drain onto your hand as you open the valve. An extra gasket changes the position of the valve lever.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
The only "adapters" available from Fumoto are extra paper gaskets. The OP wrote about his Fumoto valve that he ordered with the hose nipple. By adding a length of hose to the valve, the oil drains into any container with no mess. If you buy the valve without the hose nipple, you may need one extra gasket to adjust the orientation of the valve once it is tightened into the oil pan threads. The valve opens and closes with a small, spring loaded lever. You don't want the lever to be on the bottom of the valve when it is in the open position because that would allow hot oil to drain onto your hand as you open the valve. An extra gasket changes the position of the valve lever.
My fumoto valve lever ended up on the top without an extra gasket on both the Fit and my Hyundai Entourage. YMMV. It's a little hard to reach with the lever on the top but it is certainly protected from road debris damage and I should be able to keep my hand out of the oil stream.

I didn't get the hose nipple since I wanted the least amount of valve hanging from the pan. After seeing the install, going with or without the nipple wouldn't make much difference on a stock suspension. The valve is well protected and doesn't hang down much at all. Since I don't use ramps, just a pan, there isn't much room for a tube so the nipple doesn't help.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Banned
For future readers of this thread:

For '07 & '08 Fits, the Fumoto #106 is the correct model.

For owners of manual transmissions, this same part number also fits the trans drain hole.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
I just did my first oil change with the Fumoto valve yesterday.

Wow! That was easy. I have the model without the hose nipple. Not a drop of oil got on my hands. The stream was predictable. My wife's Hyundai has a Fumoto valve with a nipple on it, and I am looking forward to putting the oil directly into the waste bottle.

If I had a top mount oil filter, an oil change would be completely mess-free.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member
my undercarriage scrapes on all kinds of chunks of ice and snow and I'd be too afraid of it getting ripped off or bent so I think I'll stick to the good ole plug 'n wrench.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:34 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by MTLian
my undercarriage scrapes on all kinds of chunks of ice and snow and I'd be too afraid of it getting ripped off or bent so I think I'll stick to the good ole plug 'n wrench.
The Fumoto valve replaces the stock oil plug which is located on the back wall of the oil pan. It can't get ripped off by anything unless you hit something that tears the oil pan off. Then, of course, the Fumoto valve will be gone, so you had better not buy it.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Unless competing in the Baha 500 it would be nearly impossible to damage this unit.
But, the way 'some people' drive, nothings impossible.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
For future readers of this thread:

For '07 & '08 Fits, the Fumoto #106 is the correct model.

For owners of manual transmissions, this same part number also fits the trans drain hole.
You ever do this on your GE (MT valve)? Same size?

Old 03-20-2013, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Triskelion
The Fumoto valve replaces the stock oil plug which is located on the back wall of the oil pan. It can't get ripped off by anything unless you hit something that tears the oil pan off. Then, of course, the Fumoto valve will be gone, so you had better not buy it.
I drive a GD. Dunno if it's any different from the GE but my drain plug is on the side of the oil pan and is nice and low. It even says on the fumoto website that low ground clearance cars should not use the model with the nipple. This leads me to believe that there is some risk.

I'm in no means a reckless driver but sometimes if I drive down an uncleared street, my undercarriage does take a beating. Just last night, trucks had started to clear and had left a continuous snow bank a yard high right across the road; I had no choice but to crash trough it to get home.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Banned
I drive a GD. Dunno if it's any different from the GE but my drain plug is on the side of the oil pan and is nice and low. It even says on the fumoto website that low ground clearance cars should not use the model with the nipple. This leads me to believe that there is some risk.

I'm in no means a reckless driver but sometimes if I drive down an uncleared street, my undercarriage does take a beating. Just last night, trucks had started to clear and had left a continuous snow bank a yard high right across the road; I had no choice but to crash trough it to get home.
I was teasing you with my reply above, but suggest that you just not buy the one with the nipple- get the one without it. Didn't realize that you had a GD, and after losing it four years ago, I forgot about the side drain on my old GD. Still, worrying about breaking off a chunk of brass that fine-threads into the thick SIDE wall of the oil pan is a waste of time. It will never happen.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by FitStir
You ever do this on your GE (MT valve)? Same size?
No. I have a AT.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
I was teasing you with my reply above, but suggest that you just not buy the one with the nipple- get the one without it. Didn't realize that you had a GD, and after losing it four years ago, I forgot about the side drain on my old GD. Still, worrying about breaking off a chunk of brass that fine-threads into the thick SIDE wall of the oil pan is a waste of time. It will never happen.
Unfortunately, that somewhat defeats the purpose. If I could confidently put a nipple fumoto valve on there and drain my oil right into a coke bottle I'd do it but I don't see the big advantage over the non nipple kind and just using a wrench.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Banned
Unfortunately, that somewhat defeats the purpose. If I could confidently put a nipple fumoto valve on there and drain my oil right into a coke bottle I'd do it but I don't see the big advantage over the non nipple kind and just using a wrench.
Your choice. Have fun with hot oil running down your arm to your armpit. Still a bad choice. As I recall, the nipple does not point down, and even if it did, an extra washer could point it "other than down". Just tryin' ta help.

Last edited by Triskelion; 03-21-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:50 AM
Banned
Have had on on mine for years with the nipple and no problems. You would have to be dropped vertically onto something to hit the valve because the pan would be hit first anyway.

And it works great slip on a length of hose about a foot long and direct the old old right into your container of choice.

The only minor drawback is it does drain SLIGHTLY slower but not enough to negate it's use and convenience.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
Your choice. Have fun with hot oil running down your arm to your armpit. Still a bad choice. As I recall, the nipple does not point down, and even if it did, an extra washer could point it "other than down". Just tryin' ta help.
The point of the nipple is that you can attach a rubber hose to it and drain you oil right into a container. I've never had oil run down my arm or dropped my oil plug in the pan. It's already pretty easy and if I didn't run the risk of ripping it off on ice I'd go for it. I mean if seen pics of a user here that broke his clean off by over torquing it so that shows they're not indestructible (nothing is).

Old 03-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Banned
The point of the nipple is that you can attach a rubber hose to it and drain you oil right into a container. I've never had oil run down my arm or dropped my oil plug in the pan. It's already pretty easy and if I didn't run the risk of ripping it off on ice I'd go for it. I mean if seen pics of a user here that broke his clean off by over torquing it so that shows they're not indestructible (nothing is).
Thanks for repeatedly pointing out the point of the nipple to a Mechanical Engineer. I got the point any years ago when I bought and installed my first drain valve for my Ford Bronco that I also drove over ice throughout the Rocky Mountain states.

No big deal. Don't buy it. At lest all of "the points" have been made clear to other forums members who may be interested in this convenient and safe device. The guy who broke his drain valve off will certainly continue to break more things- that's the price of carelessness.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
Wow. Way to be condescending for no reason. Not really "a discussion" if you put it that way. You're right, I won't buy it for the reasons I stated. When someone from a snowy climate tells me he used them for years driving over chunks of ice, I'll consider it.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:54 AM
Banned
Well try and listen to what he is telling you. There have been hundred of thousands of them installed including my own cars and I have never seen one "torn out" or broken on any of the several different car brand boards I'm on (except for your friends over torqued one".)

Have you even looked under you car and seen how protected they are in the stock location? ANYTHING including ice would hit the pan and be deflected long before they get to the oil drain position.

Quick Reply: Fumoto Drain Valve: Best 30 Bucks Ever Spent