General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fumoto Drain Valve: Best 30 Bucks Ever Spent

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:19 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by krunk13
If everyone was to afraid to try new things we would all have carburetors and mechanical drum brakes. Don't be afraid of technology.
WE have mechanical drum brakes. Just sayin'.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by Triskelion
WE have mechanical drum brakes. Just sayin'.
No we don't we have hydraulically actuated drum brakes with mechanical parking brakes. Im talking about the old time drum brakes where you press the brake and it pulls a wire.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:38 AM
Banned
No we don't we have hydraulically actuated drum brakes with mechanical parking brakes. Im talking about the old time drum brakes where you press the brake and it pulls a wire.
Yeah, you're right. I used to have a '27 Ford flatbed truck that actually had steel rods connected to the pedal that moved the rear shoes. Stopping the truck at any kind of speed would cramp my leg and took a hell of a lot of effort. How they stopped those things with any kind of load is a mystery to me. I received it as a gift, and sold it a month later to a collector/restorer.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
If everyone was to afraid to try new things we would all have carburetors and mechanical drum brakes. Don't be afraid of technology.
It's not about being afraid to try anything. Reread my posts. If I lived in Hawaii, I probably install one of those in a heartbeat. Not everything that is fine and dandy in one climate is perfect for another climate.

For example, I believe that certain electric cars are not covered by warranty if they don't function under -5°F, a temperature that does occur in Canadian winters. Thus, that technology might be perfect for someone in Oregon but not for someone in Alaska.

The thread "do you have winter/ice tires for your Fit" showed me how little some people on FF know about winter and snow, so until someone shows me his GD, that's been driven for many seasons in a harsh snowy climate with a nipple model fumoto valve on, I'll remain skeptical.

I mean the company does warn against using the nipple model on low riding sports cars (the fit is not all that low nor a sports car) so that tells me there is some possibility of damage (even minute), although the all knowing Triskilion tells us otherwise. If I was to get one of those things, I'd get the nipple model because without attaching a hose to it, I don't really see how it would add so much convenience as opposed to just using the drain plug.

Ok Triskilion, your turn to slander everyone that doesn't agree with you; the adults are still gonna discuss though.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by MTLian
It's not about being afraid to try anything. Reread my posts. If I lived in Hawaii, I probably install one of those in a heartbeat. Not everything that is fine and dandy in one climate is perfect for another climate.

For example, I believe that certain electric cars are not covered by warranty if they don't function under -5°F, a temperature that does occur in Canadian winters. Thus, that technology might be perfect for someone in Oregon but not for someone in Alaska.

The thread "do you have winter/ice tires for your Fit" showed me how little some people on FF know about winter and snow, so until someone shows me his GD, that's been driven for many seasons in a harsh snowy climate with a nipple model fumoto valve on, I'll remain skeptical.

I mean the company does warn against using the nipple model on low riding sports cars (the fit is not all that low nor a sports car) so that tells me there is some possibility of damage (even minute), although the all knowing Triskilion tells us otherwise. If I was to get one of those things, I'd get the nipple model because without attaching a hose to it, I don't really see how it would add so much convenience as opposed to just using the drain plug.

Ok Triskilion, your turn to slander everyone that doesn't agree with you; the adults are still gonna discuss though.
They recommend that because it seems like alot of american cars have this type of oil pan.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by MTLian

Are you EVER going to stop pretending that this thread is "all about you"? You don't appear to be among the adults.

Last edited by Triskelion; 03-27-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:47 AM
I noticed that the drain pointing down extends bellow the pan... would this pose problem to lowered cars? my fit is pretty dumped on the ground and I sometimes scrape the midpipe bend after the cat converter.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
I noticed that the drain pointing down extends bellow the pan... would this pose problem to lowered cars? my fit is pretty dumped on the ground and I sometimes scrape the midpipe bend after the cat converter.
As was discussed earlier in the thread, change the lever position by adding another washer between the valve and the pan. If the pan is low enough to cause problems with the nipple-equipped valve, don't use the one with the nipple (you will need a drain pan instead of a hose leading to a bottle for old oil).

Last edited by Triskelion; 03-27-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:19 AM
ok, let me back track on thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Triskelion
As was discussed earlier in the thread, change the lever position by adding another washer between the valve and the pan. If the pan is low enough to cause problems with the nipple-equipped valve, don't use the one with the nipple (you will need a drain pan instead of a hose leading to a bottle for old oil).
care for some links on these no nipple?

Old 03-27-2013, 11:36 AM
nevermind found it... so much fail in me today, I need another huge cup of coffee LOL

Old 03-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Wow I am intrigued by this product....more reading I need to do I think. My fit is brand new so all I really need to worry about for maintenance is oil and filters right now.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 PM
so our part # are F106 F106N yes?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
so our part # are F106 F106N yes?
Yup- them's the ones. If you still have questions, you can call the Seattle warehouse where these ship from. The distributor is also an Amsoil dealer.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:26 AM
Banned
On my GD with the nipple it it NOT lower than the pan.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by loudbang
On my GD with the nipple it it NOT lower than the pan.
I thought that that was the case, but there was so much screaming about it I could not remember the placement on my previous GD, and I have never used the nipple version. Thanks for confirming more of the truth.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:14 PM
Fumoto Drain Valve: Best 30 Bucks Ever Spent

On the Fumoto website they show 3 valves that we could use.

106 (shortest version)
106N (N for nipple, longest version)
106S (S for short nipple, longer the 106 & shorter then 106N)

What I like about this product it allows us to drain the oil and keep mess to an absolute minimum by having the waste oil go right into a container that we can bring to the recyclers. Honestly the time it takes me to set down cardboard or rags before an oil change and the clean up after takes longer then the oil change itself.

For me, I think the best option are the valves with the nipples, this allowsus to attach a hose and drain directly into a waste container, cap it and be done. No cleaning catch pans or drips of oil on the driveway or garage floor (not to mention hands, cloths...). My question to anyone whom already has one installed is, I find the oil filter to be much worse the then drain plug. On the 1.5L engine, it is a side mounted filter.

And once you start to unscrew the filter, oil runs down the block and across the bottom of the oil pan (and usually on the floor or anything below the block as well).

The cost of the valve is not something that fazes me; I just want to reducethe mess and cleanup time. I actually enjoy doing my own maintenance, when youp erform your own maintenance you can see if anything else is becoming worn or in need of a replacement or repair before it becomes a more serious issue. Plus the feeling of accomplishment as well. I view it as a win-win situation.Whether it costs me a few dollars more or saves me a few dollars is not want drives me, its knowing that everything is done correctly and everything is in working order.

But if I replace the valve only, in my humble opinion, it only addresses one issue, no mess from doing an oil drain. But I always change the oil filter and drop the automatic transmission fluid (simple drain & fill) with every oil change. And the Fumoto valve only addresses the oil drain mess. Not the larger mess (as has been my experience) with replacing the oil filter or dropping the transmission fluid (I guess one could purchase a fumoto valve for the tranny drain as well. Am guessing the extension might be needed for that. And hate to bring this up in fear of seeing this thread regress to sarcastic remarks, but the tranny drain is much closer to the front of the engine, therefore probably more prone to being damaged if it is extended from the side of the transmission then the oil drain which is located at the rear of the oil pan and appears to be much more protected.

But regardless of the protection issue, I do assume that these valves are safe, or there would be a tremendous amount of bad press out there, and not just in the FitFreak forums, but all car forums.

So before my fingers cramp up from typing so much, does anyone have any tips on what they do or might do to avoid the mess from the removal of the oil filter?

And "YES, I KNOW" to anyone whom states that you do not need to drop and replace your tranny fluid as often as your engine oil, I am aware of that. Again, I do it, only because I choose to, not because it is required or needed. The 20 or 30 dollars spent on tranny fluid is worth it to me, and is by no means required nor am I making any recommendation that others do the same or not. Simply a matter of preference.

So if anyone has any tips on how to reduce the mess while changing the oil filter, I'd love to hear them. Seems that the Fumoto valve will eliminate the mess from draining the oil, just wish we could find a way to do the same for the oil filter a well.

Thanks

Last edited by georgewny; 04-20-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
You can put an oil drain pan on the floor under the filter to catch the oil that drains out when the filter is loosened. Then using a funnel you can pour this oil in the container you used to catch the oil from the Fumoto valve (or another container if that container is full).

Old 09-27-2015, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
For future readers of this thread:

For '07 & '08 Fits, the Fumoto #106 is the correct model.

For owners of manual transmissions, this same part number also fits the trans drain hole.
Thank you (almost 7 years later)!